FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] How To Fix Jelly Bean Contacts Storage Crash

8 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By renfrja, Junior Member on 4th January 2013, 08:37 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I've been through the forums and haven't seen this particular issue yet. It occurs for me on all JB ROMs (including stock RUU) so I didn't know exactly where to put it.

The Contacts Storage application appears to hang and blocks other threads. I don't receive text messages or various other notifications when the process is hung.
When the process hangs, I can open the dialer but am unable to view details on contacts. I'm also unable to switch phonebooks.

This has been driving me nuts and I've tried everything I can think of:
Multiple full wipes (including SD card and internal storage)
Different ROMs (MeanBean, Stock w/ Goodies, SuperJelly, etc)
Flashed 3.15.651.16 RUU
Tried updating the Contacts Storage application with this HTC patch: "Android.process.acore force close fix for all devices running Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)"
I'm not syncing anything else

I did run logcat and see the problem - however, I have no idea why it's occurring.
Looks like I have an SQLite query hanging. I've tried deleting the referenced contact id - it just throws the same error with another id.

Code:
W/SQLiteConnectionPool( 9277): The connection pool for database '/data/user/0/com.android.providers.contacts/databases/contacts2.db' has been unable to grant a connection to thread 739 (ContactsProviderWorker) with flags 0x2 for 60.004 seconds.

W/SQLiteConnectionPool( 9277): Connections: 1 active, 0 idle, 0 available.

W/SQLiteConnectionPool( 9277): 

W/SQLiteConnectionPool( 9277): Requests in progress:

W/SQLiteConnectionPool( 9277):   prepare started 70435ms ago - running, sql="DELETE FROM visible_contacts WHERE _id=40 AND ( (SELECT MAX((SELECT (CASE WHEN (CASE WHEN raw_contacts.account_id=(SELECT _id FROM accounts WHERE account_name IS NULL AND account_type IS NULL AND data_set IS NULL) THEN 1  WHEN COUNT(groups._id)=0 THEN ungrouped_visible ELSE MAX(group_visible)END)=1 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) FROM raw_contacts JOIN accounts ON (raw_contacts.account_id=accounts._id)LEFT OUTER JOIN settings ON (accounts.account_name=settings.account_name AND accounts.account_type=settings.account_type AND ((accounts.data_set IS NULL AND settings.data_set IS NULL) OR (accounts.data_set=settings.data_set))) LEFT OUTER JOIN data ON (data.mimetype_id=? AND data.raw_contact_id = raw_contacts._id) LEFT OUTER JOIN groups ON (groups._id = data.data1) WHERE raw_contacts._id=outer_raw_contacts._id)) FROM raw_contacts AS outer_raw_contacts WHERE contact_id= ?  GROUP BY contact_id) <> 1 )"
Anybody have any ideas? I'm desperate at this point.

This does not occur on ICS.

I'm s-off, baseband 1.12.11.1119, and hboot 2.09

Thanks

4th January 2013, 10:07 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
HTC just issued a fix for this. Hasn't pushed out yet, but can be manually downloaded and installed:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2082733
4th January 2013, 11:25 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkevman

HTC just issued a fix for this. Hasn't pushed out yet, but can be manually downloaded and installed:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2082733

Thanks - but, that's not it. I've already tried installing the updated apk (even though my issue was different - I'm not syncing Facebook and none of my contacts have birthdays stored). The issue was not resolved. Granted I installed the updated apk when running MeanBean. But, I don't think that'd make a difference.
4th January 2013, 11:54 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by renfrja

Thanks - but, that's not it. I've already tried installing the updated apk (even though my issue was different - I'm not syncing Facebook and none of my contacts have birthdays stored). The issue was not resolved. Granted I installed the updated apk when running MeanBean. But, I don't think that'd make a difference.

Sorry, figured it was related....missed the part in your OP stating you had installed the patch. Hope you find a solution soon.
10th January 2013, 09:43 AM |#5  
Flag Visalia
Thanks Meter: 131

More
Similar thing happening w me here's a logcat http://db.tt/LKbHVsng

Sent from my EVO using xda premium

---------- Post added at 01:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 AM ----------

This patch fixed my issue!

---------- Post added at 01:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 AM ----------

It fixed it 4 about 5 mins but know its all screwed

10th January 2013, 07:29 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspsuperman

Similar thing happening w me here's a logcat

---------- Post added at 01:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 AM ----------

This patch fixed my issue!

---------- Post added at 01:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 AM ----------

It fixed it 4 about 5 mins but know its all screwed

I went round and round with this for several days. I was unable to get things working on JB regardless of what I wiped/reset. I ended up locking everything back up and taking the full RUU and the problem persisted.
I ended up returning it to Sprint and getting a new phone.
I figure it was either something corrupt in the internal memory or something got borked in the s-off procedure.

The new device doesn't have the issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to renfrja For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift renfrja Ad-Free
10th January 2013, 07:32 PM |#7  
Flag Visalia
Thanks Meter: 131

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by renfrja

I went round and round with this for several days. I was unable to get things working on JB regardless of what I wiped/reset. I ended up locking everything back up and taking the full RUU and the problem persisted.
I ended up returning it to Sprint and getting a new phone.
I figure it was either something corrupt in the internal memory or something got borked in the s-off procedure.

The new device doesn't have the issue.

That sucks if thats what I have to do, Ive had this phone since launch day
26th March 2013, 03:27 PM |#8  
Flag Missouri City
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Re: [Q] How To Fix Jelly Bean Contacts Storage Crash
I know that I'm in the wrong section but I am experiencing the same exact thing. My contacts just hang and i can't open messaging. In my logcat i see the Contacts2.db unable to grant a connection to thread x. This started happening to me about 2 months after I went s-off so I'm not sure what could have happened. I'm still in the process of trying to fix it, i have a nandroid backup so I'll try that next.

Sent from my s-off HTC One XL running ViperXL 3.2.6 and ElementalX 5.3
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)