FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Journey to Jellybean

28 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

Post Reply Email Thread
Long-time lurker, this is my first serious post here, so... be gentle

The Hardware: Verizon Galaxy S3 16GB SCH-i535 (Pebble Blue, if you must know )

Where I was: Rooted Stock ICS 4.0.4 (Root66) VRALF2 with OTA blocker to keep it there.

What I did first:
Unblocked OTA updates.
First update 40MB VRALF2 to VRALG7. Updated succeeded but broke root. Restored Root using Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper
Second Update: 62MB VRALG7 to VRALHE. Updated succeeded but broke root again. Got a Custom Padlock screen on bootup that wouldn't go away even if the phone was not rooted before the upgrade. Restored Root using Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper.
Third Update: 400MB VRALHE to VRBLK3. Update FAILED. Repeatedly. Each time, the update would download and reboot into recovery mode to install. It would get about 40% of the way through and the widdle gween andwoid would fall over with a yellow twiangle above him. Then it would reboot back into VRALHE.

Hmmm...

What I did next:
ODIN flashed back to VRALF2 Root66
Took OTA updates.
First succeeded as before, so did the second. To my surprise the third ran to completion. Restored Root using Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper. Still has a custom padlock on boot, but when I unlocked the bootloader it disappeared - either that or the boot screen didn't stay on long enough for it to appear - not sure which.

Anyway, I am now on JB. The last to the party. as usual. Project butter must have worked - the interface feels smoother.

Battery life is a mixed bag. I use Battery Widget Reborn Pro to measure the average time to use 1% of battery life. Under ICS it was 6-9 minutes. On initially installing Jelly Bean, this initially dropped to about 3 minutes. I assumed that this was because of post-upgrade housekeeping, as the CPU was continuously busy (according to Usage Timelines Pro). After leaving it running and on the charger all night long, it settled down. It is now at 10-15 minutes per 1% of battery life - almost double what I was getting before.
OTA blocker supports VRALF2 and VRALG7, but it does NOT support VRALHE or VRBLK3. This is not surprising; the last version is three months old. With no OTA Blocker, I am at the mercy of whatever method Verizon comes up with to bugger up my phone. The OTA blocker folks need to get their fingers out and update the app.
On the other hand, the folks who built Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper (which I originally bought for my Droid X2) are on the ball and they have saved my bacon thus far.

Hope this helps anyone out there in a similar predicament. The usual caveat applies: Before trying anything drastic, BACK UP YOUR DATA!

Finally I would like to recognize two apps that have been very useful to me during this process: I have no interest in either developer or program, just a satisfied customer.

Usage Timelines -- A neat program that tells you how busy your CPU is (Free, full version is $2.49)

EZ Recovery -- on-the-fly recovery flash of CWM, CWM Touch, TWRP, Stock or... just about anything else. (Free, but I sent the dev a few dollars)

7th January 2013, 07:46 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 60

More
If you want to block OTA, and own Titanium Backup you can freeze the process that triggers them. The OTA Blocker that your talking about is not needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elite49 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Elite49 Ad-Free
7th January 2013, 08:14 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Louisville, KY

Donate to Me
More
Hmmmm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite49

If you want to block OTA, and own Titanium Backup you can freeze the process that triggers them. The OTA Blocker that your talking about is not needed.

Funny... I had tried blocking processes before using the OTA blocker, and it hadn't worked. Did I miss something? Which processes do I need to freeze?
7th January 2013, 08:34 PM |#4  
Flag Chadbourn, NC
Thanks Meter: 92

More
SDM 1.0
8th January 2013, 05:19 AM |#5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Fort Wayne
Thanks Meter: 3,581

Donate to Me
More
lol smh
The Following User Says Thank You to droidstyle For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift droidstyle Ad-Free
8th January 2013, 09:41 AM |#6  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 1,769

More
I'll be gentle.

Curious. Why would you go through all of that? You know you could have just unlocked the BL, flashed Vzw JB stock zip and then the radios? And be at the same spot? 8 days sooner? Lol

I never understood the allure of wanting to take an OTA. I like the fastest way possible. We all end up with the same product . Never got it

Oh, and sorry about your X2. I had one of those. Horrid device....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to 1ManWolfePack For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 1ManWolfePack Ad-Free
10th January 2013, 06:33 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member
Flag Louisville, KY

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ManWolfePack

I'll be gentle.

Curious. Why would you go through all of that? You know you could have just unlocked the BL, flashed Vzw JB stock zip and then the radios? And be at the same spot? 8 days sooner? Lol

I never understood the allure of wanting to take an OTA. I like the fastest way possible. We all end up with the same product . Never got it

Oh, and sorry about your X2. I had one of those. Horrid device....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the reply. I decided to go OTA because... it was there. I wanted to know what the fuss was about. Since I had alreay Odin-flashed a ROM I knew I could, but I had never taken an OTA, and wanted to see how far down that rabbit-hole went.

Had that not taken me where I wanted to go, flashing a JB ROM would have been my next move. The eight-day delay was not an issue - when it comes to updates, I tend to wait until others have taken the arrows in the back.

More than a week later, the phone is rock-solid. Under ICS, I used to have to reboot the phone once or twice a day. This phone has been running for over a week without being rebooted (see screenshot), and is still going like a champ. There are just two problems: The GPS pop-up and the Bluetooth Pop-up... but that is another subject for another thread.

As for the X2, it was a lovely little phone, and I was happy with it. The biggest problem with the phone was the lack of support from Verizon (just like the S3 ) I had to upgrade to keep my unlimited and get to 4G, and that is why I took the S3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-10-07-28-16.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	1633729  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
jellybean ota upgrade failure

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)