How limited is the HD 8.9?

Search This thread

lp894

Nov 26, 2007
MOST of the time, I don't harp on ppl for not using the search function...when it's a question that may be difficult to find a direct answer for using the search. BUT in this case...the answer is EXTREMELY simple to find. There are plenty of posts in the CM10 section that praise Hashcode for being 1 of the EXTREMELY few devs working on CM10. There are literally ZERO other custom rom posts in the dev section. As a matter of fact, the ONLY other rom posts are a zip for the stock rom, and a utility that will take you back to stock +root....please in the future put forth a little bit of effort before asking.

So to answer your question, there is precisely 1 custom rom...CM10, it's actually very stable. I don't get any FC's or anything while using it. It does, however, have an issue with sound not working and the front camera not working. If you can live with that, then I highly suggest using it. If you can't...you'll just have to wait like the rest of us.

persano

Nov 25, 2012
Buenos Aires
Why is there no section for Kindle HD 8.9? I want a pure android tablet that is bigger than 7" but less than 10". Does the Kindle HD 8.9 have any roms yet like CM 10 that is FULLY stable? I love the size and form factor as well as the screen of the Kindle HD 8.9" but if it doesn't have android and I can't multitask use google talk and just do general productivity stuff then I will have to go with a 10" or a small nexus 7. I had the nexus 7" and found it a little bit too small. I also had a 10" and found it a little bit too big. I think 8 or 9 would be perfect so it's either this or the ipad mini. Not too big of a fan of IOS so if this can get android, I would be happy.

Can anyone tell me what the status is on custom android roms and whether the Kindle in the past has gotten great development or if good rom dev is sparce? I would appreciate it. Thanks

YOU can multitask, recent buttom is a thing, multitask other

4iiiidnerd

Jul 26, 2010
Phoenix
Google Pixel 6 Pro
my set

Limited? much less than the original KF ... f'realz ;)

rooting is much more friendly for the stock rom, kinda like a breath of fresh air. Granted, I fiddled with quite a the bin4ry (right?) root method, then fiddled with the KFFirstAide program, went thru a few days stuck with it being very sluggish, trying out different menu options.

The most difficult thing to get through was ADB USB drivers; I use windows 8, and I had to enable installation of unsigned drivers. took me a while to figure that out. After that, there was the strange KFFirstAide installation/root period--interminable-ish. My KF was stuck for a bit in some kind of sluggish installation mode ... I kept picking somewhat related rooting options until it booted normal ... REALLY strange though; only a few basic apps were installed and the device was deregistered.

At this point I could pick and choose what to install--play store was the first thing, along with an assortment of apps. I'm using titanium backup, which is just awesome for converting apps to system or user and uninstalling them. I found this bootup app for Skype that really seems the Cat's Pajamas--I converted Skype to a system app and set it to run at boot up. Now, when I select "Running Applications" Skype doesn't even appear, but it's open and running anyways. Hasn't force closed on me since yesterday, which is definitely out of character for that.

I use a skype # and google voice--pay $60 a year, forward calls to the skype #, and keep an AT&T data plan; basically turning this thing into a tablet phone. Rooting this has work great, since it allows to be more selective about installed system programs, AND it doesn't break programs like Amazon VOD.

I can't get gmail to run (at least, the current Play Store version), but the Aqua email app works well (better than the Amazon email app, which I've uninstalled ... IMO). Silk won't run either after I reinstalled it. I haven't the heart to remove it completely, but it no worky, and that doesn't bother in the least. GV and Skype work well, and that's all I really care about. The original KF didn't have bluetooth, a mic, 4G, or GPS--now use a MS Wedge keyboard with this, use Mapquest for travel ... etc. It's basically a discount IPAD ... if you're a nerd and you've some spare time to devote, this is really quite nice; I'll likely be happy with this for a while.

KFHD8.94G

cc_in_oh

Apr 1, 2013
MKV streaming questions

Hi all,

I'm new to the tablet (and Android) world - just ordered a KFHD8.9 on Best Buy's yesterday-only $230 deal. I'm hoping not to have to root it, at least until I have some idea what I'm doing.

I use VLC to play MKV's on Win7 so I'm glad to hear it's available on the KFHD (hopefully without root?). I'm not sure how the apps work - can I download from CNET e.g. or get directly from Amazon? Should I also try other players like MX?

Also, I see lots of references to loading video onto the KFHD, but surely I can stream a MKV file directly from my NAS, no?

Thanks for helping a rookie get started...

CC

Opensystem

May 12, 2013
Hi all,

I'm new to the tablet (and Android) world - just ordered a KFHD8.9 on Best Buy's yesterday-only $230 deal. I'm hoping not to have to root it, at least until I have some idea what I'm doing.

I use VLC to play MKV's on Win7 so I'm glad to hear it's available on the KFHD (hopefully without root?). I'm not sure how the apps work - can I download from CNET e.g. or get directly from Amazon? Should I also try other players like MX?

Also, I see lots of references to loading video onto the KFHD, but surely I can stream a MKV file directly from my NAS, no?

Thanks for helping a rookie get started...

CC

I don't know anything about NAS in particular, but you have three options:

Have a limited Amazon-based device that you "sideload" apps (.apk files) from your computer that you can't get off the Amazon app store

Root it (it's really not so hard via Google and research) and/ or install a custom Rom (best choice, plenty of guides on here)

Return it for a nexus 7 2, smaller screen but full functionality out the box (except for GPS, Lulz)

If you do want to root it, I have a step by step guide for beginners: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2347170

Just bear in mind that it's a 7" guide, so any files related to which kindle you're using need to match up. It basically goes:

Use kindle fire first aide (a tool in a thread on xda you download to your computer) to automatically root and disable over the air updates)

Use an app called "fireflash" to add custom recovery to make back ups and New roms to break out from under Amazon's ecosystem

Profit

The good news is, if you brick this thing it has a way to recover on its own with no need of a factory cable like the 7" needs so not much risk of screwing up

Sent from my Android Kindle Fire HD 7 Running Cyanogenmod 10.1

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,

Since this is the only HD 8.9 subforum I´ve decided to post in here, but if I should´ve posted else where, please feel free to move my thread.

I´d like to know how limited is the HD 8.9 and it comes to installing apps. My most used apps are SSL launcher, Gmail, MX Player, ES Explorer, Folder Player and Chrome. Can these be installed on the HD 8.9? Can I play videos with MX Player and view them on an HDTV via hdmi? I watch mkv, avi, dvx, etc....if I´m able to instal MX Player I should not have any issues playing back these files, right?

Without root, I had MX Player, Gmail, and ES Explorer installed from Amazon market for free, and Chrome was sideloaded from an apk I found online.

With root, I was able to get Google Play store working (and all the root stuff for ES Explorer, etc.). Haven't tried Folder Player or SSL Launcher, but Nova launcher works fine.