Unlimited data + Tethering

Search This thread

ihavenewnike

Mar 5, 2012
Los Angeles
Since third party tethering apps are allowed. What are the consequences of running whole home imternet off my phone. Anything VZW can do? Heard they can terminate account.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Goldchamp

Mar 4, 2010
Pretty sure 3rd party tethering apps are not allowed. They want you to pay the additional fee for tethering. If they catch you they I'm sure could terminate your account. Never heard of it happening though.

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
Terminate your account, call due your etfs, and send your a ginormous data bill would be the worst case scenario.

Chances are terminating your account would also blacklist you from reinstating it....ever.

nnnnr14

Apr 19, 2012
Lagrange
www.youtube.com
Since third party tethering apps are allowed. What are the consequences of running whole home imternet off my phone. Anything VZW can do? Heard they can terminate account.

They can't do anything do to the new laws. If they do your could potentially sue them.

Pretty sure 3rd party tethering apps are not allowed. They want you to pay the additional fee for tethering. If they catch you they I'm sure could terminate your account. Never heard of it happening though.

They are allowed verizon can't do anything about it as long as the fcc is there. Also they would terminate your account they'd just want you to pay for a tethering plan and the data that you've used.

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008
They can't do anything do to the new laws. If they do your could potentially sue them.

They are allowed verizon can't do anything about it as long as the fcc is there. Also they would terminate your account they'd just want you to pay for a tethering plan and the data that you've used.

Um, yes they can if you are on unlimited. FCC even knows about it.

http://www.fcc.gov/document/verizon-wireless-pay-125-million-settle-investigation

In addition, the company recently revised its service offerings such that consumers on usage-based
pricing plans may tether, using any application, without paying an additional fee.
-FCC-
For news and information about the FCC, please visit: www.fcc.gov

The FCC ruling does not include grandfathered plans.

The ruling is almost entirely about tethering apps, not service. Verizon gets through on a loophole due to CDMA being included in a lot of this stuff. Try to take them to court on it, I dare ya ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Goldchamp

tino_b

Mar 25, 2012
Los Angeles
I rooted my friend's nexus for Verizon and he's currently running a 3rd party tethering app and nothing has happened to his account.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium

nnnnr14

Apr 19, 2012
Lagrange
www.youtube.com

http://www.fcc.gov/document/verizon-wireless-pay-125-million-settle-investigation

The ruling is almost entirely about tethering apps, not service. Verizon gets through on a loophole due to CDMA being included. Try to take them to court on it, I dare ya ;)

They don't have to allow tethering on CDMA at all.

Well they've done nothing to me I've been on Verizon since the alltel merging with unlimited and when 4g came our and I got my thunderbolt I have been using 3rd party tethering apps and I haven't been caught so they know but just won't point it out cause they know they'll lose some high paying customers.

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008
Well they've done nothing to me I've been on Verizon since the alltel merging with unlimited and when 4g came our and I got my thunderbolt I have been using 3rd party tethering apps and I haven't been caught so they know but just won't point it out cause they know they'll lose some high paying customers.

Right, but never have is not synonymous with never will.

From what I read, OP just wanted a worse case scenario sort of response.

None of us can rightfully tell the guy that he cannot be punished for unauthorized tethering.

jmorton10

Jul 1, 2008
Rochester, NY
We have an awesome Verizon corporate rep. It is a great looking chic and she is cool as hell.

I asked her about this one time and about things like using a ton of data with my slingbox etc. She actually walked in while I was using my Slingbox and asked me how it worked.

She could care less what I do, but she did advise me not to go absolutely crazy with the data use as things like Slingbox that are unsupported and third party tethering are TOS violations and you may endanger your unlimited data package (something I have been really careful not to do)

She said as long as you use a reasonable amount of data VZ won't care, but the DBs that use 150 gigs a month and then brag about it on sites like this are definitely pressing their luck IMHO.

ihavenewnike

Mar 5, 2012
Los Angeles
Dang. I was gonna use foxfi with premium key to do so. So if I pay the 30 buck hotspot fee and lets say ise 150+ gb of data, will they stop my hotspot

Goldchamp

Mar 4, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavenewnike View Post
Dang. I was gonna use foxfi with premium key to do so. So if I pay the 30 buck hotspot fee and lets say ise 150+ gb of data, will they stop my hotspot

If you pay for the hotspot, you can legitimately use as much data as you want.

That is correct but I wouldn't doubt if you used a lot your speed would mysteriously slow down at some point...

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavenewnike View Post

If you pay for the hotspot, you can legitimately use as much data as you want.

That is correct but I wouldn't doubt if you used a lot your speed would mysteriously slow down at some point...

LTE is not allowed to be throttled.

They will on 3G though.

ihavenewnike

Mar 5, 2012
Los Angeles
Cool. I might go that route. Seems like it could be alright though. Right now I pay 80 bucks for internet for the high speeds. Ibget better speeds on lte than that though. 50 dollar savings seems ok

joshw0000

Jun 15, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
If you use a 3rd party app or hack the stock tethering you should be fine as long as you don't go crazy tethering. You'd most likely not be content with a home network tethered from your phone. Verizon will throttle your data to crippling speeds if you consistently used a large amount of data.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008
If you use a 3rd party app or hack the stock tethering you should be fine as long as you don't go crazy tethering. You'd most likely not be content with a home network tethered from your phone. Verizon will throttle your data to crippling speeds if you consistently used a large amount of data.

Let me repeat:

They cannot throttle LTE, only 3G.

jmorton10

Jul 1, 2008
Rochester, NY
Verizon will throttle your data to crippling speeds if you consistently used a large amount of data.

Only if its 3g data, they don't throttle 4g.

I do agree it's not the worlds best idea to run your entire home internet by tethering however.

I would never do that (i use roadrunner) and sooner or later I firmly believe verizon will discontinue unlimited data for everyone anyway.

joshw0000

Jun 15, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Let me repeat:

They cannot throttle LTE, only 3G.

Care to share an article?

In the days of the Droid X, there was a simple hack to remove throttling. In everything I've read currently, the throttle is done at the network level, not from the device. I don't see why they'd throttle 3G and not 4G (LTE).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

In addition, the company recently revised its service offerings such that consumers on usage-based
    pricing plans may tether, using any application, without paying an additional fee.
    -FCC-
    For news and information about the FCC, please visit: www.fcc.gov

The FCC ruling does not include grandfathered plans.

The ruling is almost entirely about tethering apps, not service. Verizon gets through on a loophole due to CDMA being included in a lot of this stuff. Try to take them to court on it, I dare ya ;)
    I'm right for now?

Oh lord.

They may reserve the right, but that doesn't mean the FCC cannot fine them. They already showed willingness to violate their agreement with blocking tethering apps. Despite the reasonable use clause, the FCC still stuck them with a 1.25 mil fine. Degradation of any data capable app is a violation of their purchase agreement.

Welcome to my ignore list. I should have listened to droidstyle sooner.