FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Malata Zpad T2

72 posts
Thanks Meter: 36

By kank_fraud, Member on 13th January 2013, 08:43 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
After searching for ages, I stumbled upon a solution for my tablet. Although all GTab ROMS work in the Zpad, I haven't been able to use the full 1GB RAM present in my Zpad.

So Finally today I stumbled upon a solution posted in slatedroid by Micky.

Instead of flashing the Viewsonic ROM to start with, we need to flash this ROM instead.

After you download the ROM from the link above, search for the TeamDRH CWM 5.5.0.4 and download. Extract the RAR file and replace the recovery.img in the folder with the TeamDRH CWM, cuz the one in the ROM is too old and doesn't support the latest ROMs.

[Note: If you want a larger system partition, follow this.
Open the file flash.cfg and find this no. 209715200 and replace it with this no.419430400
Now when you flash this ROM, you will get a system partition of 400MB.
If you use this method, you don't need to delete any system files after install from the ROM
.]

Reboot the tab to CWM and wipe data/factory reset and wipe dalvik cache. Twice.

Shutdown and reboot to APX mode and connect to PC

NV Flash the ROM, let it boot and then shutdown.

Now to flash Jelly Bean.

Download Smoother Bean by nobe1976

Then boot the tablet to CWM

Again wipe data/factory reset and wipe dalvik cache. Twice just to be sure.

Flash the Smoother Bean zip file

Do not wipe data/factory reset or wipe dalvik cache this time.

Just reboot

Let it boot and run for a few minutes.

[Optional: Now install an app from play store to delete system apps and also a keyboard, Swipe or as such.

Open the system app remover and uninstall Gmail and AOSP Keyboard.

A few more apps can also be uninstalled, such as wallpapers, DSP Manager, Music FX, but not all.

Before deleting the AOKP Keyboard, you can copy it from the system folder if you want the stock keyboard. LatinIME.apk file.

(This does not apply if you modify the flash.cfg for larger system partition)
We need to uninstall these apps cuz after flashing with the above ROM, the system partition is only 209MB, so after flashing JB, we get around 5-6 MB free in the system partition. After uninstalling the apps, we get around 34 MB free.
]

Hats off to nobe1976. He is able to develop a JB ROM that can be installed in a 200 MB system partition.

Well after everything, I hope whoever tried this in their MALATA Zpad is able to see full 1GB RAM, or around 850 MB approx.

[After this succesfull experiment, I would like to request a developer to kindly help us modify the system partition of the above ROM to 350 MB or more if possible.

Its a small request from us Zpad users.

(Note: From the help of all the users, I have been able to increase the system partitiom to 400MB)]

If anyone could help, I will be gratefull, we all will be very gratefull.

This is really pushing the limit.

Edit: Now you can use 1GB RAM present in your tablet and all the space available in the flash memory.

Note: This method can be used in all variants of the Zpad which has 1GB RAM and 16GB ROM.

Note: This tablet is sold by different names all over the world. The one I use is HCL AP10-A1
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kank_fraud For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kank_fraud Ad-Free

13th January 2013, 06:52 PM |#2  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 407

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kank_fraud

Well after everything, I hope whoever tried this in their MALATA Zpad is able to see full 1GB RAM, or around 850 MB approx.

Can you post the 3 .txt files produced by these commands (reboot the tablet first)?:
Code:
$ su -c dmesg > /mnt/sdcard/dmesg.txt
$ cp /proc/meminfo /mnt/sdcard/meminfo.txt
$ free > /mnt/sdcard/free.txt
14th January 2013, 04:06 AM |#3  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:

After this succesfull experiment, I would like to request a developer to kindly help us modify the system partition of the above ROM to 350 MB or more if possible.

Though @rajeevvp is the best person on xda to give you solution that is more logical on this, I will tell you quick and dirty way to do this, which I have adopted.

1> download stock zpad rom if you don't have it already "ftp://112.5.164.225/tablePC/T2_nvflash_mp_3g(WCDMA)_20110824.rar"

2> unzip it, delete recovery.img from unzipped directory, copy part9.img from DRH nvflash which is used for prep 350M system partition to this directory, rename it to recovery.img

3> edit "android_fastboot_full_i_malata.cfg” change "size" of partition id 11 (which is a system partition)
Make sure you do not give any arbitrary size here; calculate it with the formula @rajeevvp posted here "http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=22138304&postcount=14"

4>now nvfalsh your tablet in apx mode with download.bat, now format /data /system /cache and flash whichever rom you want on top.

memory/partition config is supplied to kernel through CMDLINE parameter, so even if you nvflash tab with above procedure, its not necessary that default memory/partition sizes are maintained created by above prcoess, Team DRH boot.img has a blank CMDLINE. That is the reason
Above process will work on most of the ROM, which is using TeamDRH boot.img.

(more technical explaination stright from one of the posts of @rajeevvp "When the bootloader runs, it reads PT (partition 3) and constructs a command line telling the kernel what the partition layout is on the onboard NAND flash. Normally, the bootloader will pass this command line to the kernel as part of the boot-up process. However, if the bootloader sees that the boot.img already contains a default command line then that will take precedence")
The Following User Says Thank You to chaskarn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chaskarn Ad-Free
15th January 2013, 08:48 AM |#4  
Flag Brisbane
Thanks Meter: 95

More
I replaced the recovery image in the ROM as instructed in the first post but before flashing I edited the flash.cfg file to change the APP partition (id=11) size to 262144000 (250MB). I then followed the steps above but after flashing Smoother Bean it would always restart in recovery. I found I had to partition the internal SD to 4096/0 and then reload the rom and flash again. I now have a ZPad with a 250MB system partition and a total RAM of 871124 bytes. Thanks very much as it seems much faster now. Note I didn't have to remove any system apps in the process.
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyInBriz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JohnnyInBriz Ad-Free
15th January 2013, 11:37 AM |#5  
Flag Mumbai

More
Quote:

I replaced the recovery image in the ROM as instructed in the first post but before flashing I edited the flash.cfg file to change the APP partition (id=11) size to 262144000 (250MB). I then followed the steps above but after flashing Smoother Bean it would always restart in recovery. I found I had to partition the internal SD to 4096/0 and then reload the rom and flash again. I now have a ZPad with a 250MB system partition and a total RAM of 871124 bytes. Thanks very much as it seems much faster now. Note I didn't have to remove any system apps in the process.

glad to hear that it worked, BTW you will have to change /system size to minimum 350MB if you plan to use TeamDRH rom in future (hopefully with camera working)
15th January 2013, 03:36 PM |#6  
Flag Chengdu China
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I'll have a try later.Thanks So much.
23rd January 2013, 04:59 PM |#7  
OP Member
Shillong

More
Thank You all for the help.
I have already replaced the stock recovery CWM to 5.5 from the first flash.
Well I have tried to modify the system partition to 512 MB(536870912) in the flash.cfg and it failed. So I tried 400MB(419430400) and it worked.
It shows 419 MB in Titanium Backup
I am happy with it.
Its way better then before.
Thanks evryone
Problem solved
23rd January 2013, 11:45 PM |#8  
OP Member
Shillong

More
If anyone has formated or resized the internal memory resently, please try the maximum possible size for the system partition.
I tried 512MB but it didn't work. Maybe 490MB might work.
According to my knowledge, Android should support atleast upto 999MB for any partition.
Is it cuz of our tab or is it cuz of the architecture.
And if anyone knows, is it possible to create a larger internal partition.
As in 8GB or if possible the whole internal memory.
CWM doesn't allow more than 4GB internal space.
24th January 2013, 05:09 AM |#9  
Flag Mumbai

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kank_fraud

I have already replaced the stock recovery CWM to 5.5 from the first flash.
Well I have tried to modify the system partition to 512 MB(536870912) in the flash.cfg and it failed. So I tried 400MB(419430400) and it worked.

Well this was expected result, /system partion resides on NAND flash chip (with is only 512MB) and not on SDcard.
Read this "http://raywaldo.com/2011/07/format-the-gtab/" and this "http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=15558724&postcount=12"

Also you need to bare in mind that other partitions also use 512MB nand flash as per explanation in above threads.
so if you take a close look at falsh.cfg file in nvflash directory you will understand that size allocation is sequential ("allocation_policy=sequential") and system partition (11) which is last to allocate the space, so you need to calculate it accordingly if you want to utilize all remaining space from NAND flash chip.
25th January 2013, 01:07 AM |#10  
OP Member
Shillong

More
Well I cant open the page "http://raywaldo.com/2011/07/format-the-gtab/".
So according to this info I have hit the limit. I am already using 489MB of the 512MB flash. And as always, cuz of our storage manufactures, we get only 490MB in a 512MB chip.
What I wonder is why Malata and Viewsonic did not utilise the full NAND space available in the first place.
Is it used for something else.
I mean even the 350MB prep for Viewsonic GTab uses 350MB instead of 400MB.
It is so easy to to utilise and partition the NAND, then why not use the full available space.
What is the empty space used for!???
Or is it just a waste!!!
25th January 2013, 10:59 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
hi all,
tks for the useful informations above..but since my poor tech knowledge, its possible to produce a flashable rom for all T2 user with the max 490MB flash?

thanks in advance!
FG
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
malata zpad t2, zpad, zpad t2

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)