FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Quake 2 on Windows RT

167 posts
Thanks Meter: 184

Post Reply Email Thread
Only created my account today, so I don't have enough posts to put this in the developer section. Maybe someone can help me out.

I managed to get the Quake2 source from Ids ftp server to build (with a lot of warnings) for ARM in Visual Studio 2012.

I've attached a screen shot and the binaries to this post.

All you need to do is drop the pak0.pak and players folder into baseq2.

Enjoy!

EDIT: should also mention that this is a native port (not .net or winrt) -- props to XDA guys for the hack!

EDIT2: for those with errors, keep in mind you need the pak files and players folder from the quake2 install for this to work (or you can grab them from the demo). Google is your friend! . If you encounter the famous "water crash" then run "sw_waterwarp 0" in the quake console.

EDIT3: For a joke. I've added the OpenGL Quake2 renderer and a software based OpenGL implementation (built from an older version of Mesa3D) as attachments. Given that Windows RT doesn't have support for OpenGL this is probably as good as its going to get without a port that has Direct3D support. While the OpenGL version looks much better, be warned.. it runs __very__ slow. If you want to give it a try, just go into video options and change the 'driver' option to "default opengl". Enjoy!

EDIT4: So.. in an effort to clean up some of the bugs, I stumbled upon KMQuakeII which has an 'unofficial' 3.23 patch for the Quake 2 source. I've managed to compile that version of the source for ARM. I was hoping this would fix the full screen issues, but it didn't. Regardless, there are probably worthwhile bug fixes anyway.. so I'm posting it here. There are also extra video modes in this version (very easy to add btw!) however the 1366x768 mode didn't work correctly on my Surface.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quake2_windows_rt.jpg
Views:	1026
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	1640831  
Attached Files
File Type: zip quake2_arm.zip - [Click for QR Code] (497.0 KB, 23738 views)
File Type: zip quake2_arm_opengl.zip - [Click for QR Code] (728.1 KB, 618 views)
File Type: zip quake2_arm_3.23.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.20 MB, 1618 views)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bfosterjr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bfosterjr Ad-Free

13th January 2013, 01:03 PM |#2  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,921

More
Well done! Link added to the list. Much appreciated...
13th January 2013, 01:36 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 102

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfosterjr

Only created my account today, so I don't have enough posts to put this in the developer section. Maybe someone can help me out.

I managed to get the Quake2 source from Ids ftp server to build (with a lot of warnings) for ARM in Visual Studio 2012.

I've attached a screen shot and the binaries to this post.

All you need to do is drop the pak0.pak and players folder into baseq2.

Enjoy!

EDIT: should also mention that this is a native port (not .net or winrt) -- props to XDA guys for the hack!

cool, seems to run nicely, -just using one core.
13th January 2013, 07:20 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
At first : Thanks for the work!

But i get an Error :"Couldn't load pics/colormap.pcx

(on Surface Jailbrocken)
13th January 2013, 07:48 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I can't manage to open it. It says there is an error.

Another question... I want to do it for Bluestacks. Do you know anyone that could've done this? Thank you.
13th January 2013, 09:23 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by save_jeff

At first : Thanks for the work!

But i get an Error :"Couldn't load pics/colormap.pcx

(on Surface Jailbrocken)

Make sure you have the pak files and players folder from your quake2 install in the baseq2 folder. If you don't own quake2 then you can grab these files from the quake2 demo install (google for it). Good luck!
13th January 2013, 10:01 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Unhappy
Awesome job!
I got mine working smoothly
There is some issues that often when I load saves the game crashed (quake2.exe has stopped working)
I have no idea. Save game works perfectly and start new game works as well.

Looks like this guy back in 2005 have the same problem (except he is using... Amiga?): ht tp://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=17808
13th January 2013, 10:54 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Thumbs up
Tanks i did not know that ;]

I Will get a Demo right now ans try ist.
Does it work with any Version of quake II ?

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

Okay now it works like a charm! Realy impressiv
14th January 2013, 05:24 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shog7n

Awesome job!
I got mine working smoothly
There is some issues that often when I load saves the game crashed (quake2.exe has stopped working)
I have no idea. Save game works perfectly and start new game works as well.

Looks like this guy back in 2005 have the same problem (except he is using... Amiga?): ht tp://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=17808

Yeah, there could be several bugs in it. This is built straight from iD's source. There are many other 'ports' of quake2 that have encountered and (in some cases) fixed various bugs. Still, its extremely playable even with a few annoying bugs!
14th January 2013, 09:59 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I cant get mine to go to full screen.... is this usual behaviour?
14th January 2013, 10:37 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by advancedservers

I cant get mine to go to full screen.... is this usual behaviour?

Yep. The pure Quake2 source has known issues with full screen on "odd" resolutions. Given the time frame for when Quake2 was developed.. the 1366 x 786 resolution that is common today doesn't make any sense that's why its "not supported". There were some unofficial patches added to Quake2 many years ago to add wide screen support and more resolutions. A lot of people also fixed the problem by just using the OpenGL version (which I could also provide binaries for.. but its _dog_ slow). What I've ported here is the 'software render' which got very little attention once the '3d boom' hit. If I get bored, I may see if I can get full screen working in the software renderer.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)