FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[RECOVERY]CWM Touch 6.0.2.8 for MEDION LIFETAB P9514 [25.2.2013]

1,941 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,517

Post Reply Email Thread

Hello everybody!
The long wait has finally come to an end, as I successfully compiled CWM Touch Recovery for Medion Lifetab P9514. It works great on IceCreamSandwitch 4.0.3 Release 2 and it should also work on previous ICS updates. However, it is not compatible with Honeycomb 3.2!

Before we begin a warning is in order: You are making changes to your tablet’s software at your own risk!

So let's start. I advise you to first backup your stock recovery, just in case something goes wrong. There are couple of methods to do this. I will describe in my opinion the easiest, with adb commands for Microsoft Windows or Linux OS. This way you are not required to boot your tablet in special modes (fastboot or APX).

GETTING STARTED
  1. When you connect LIFETAB to your PC, drivers should be installed automatically in Windows Vista/7. If they are not or if you encounter any erros, try the guide for Windows XP (original guide by @Pummelchen - android-hilfe.de).
  2. Download drivers for WinXP: http://www.medion.com/au/service/_li....php?did=10725
    • Extract the drivers - double click on "usb_p9514wxp.exe"
    • "Medion" folder will be created on C:/ drive, in there you will see "android_winusb.inf".
    • Open Device Manager: either by following the path "Start/Control Panel/System/Advanced System Settings/Hardware/Device Manager" or by right-clicking on "Computer" - "Properties" in start menu.
    • Connect your LIFETAB with a microUSB/USB Cable to the PC an wait for a few seconds.
    • In Device Manager "Other devices" should appear, there you will see "MTP" with a yellow exclamation mark. Right-click on it and choose "Properties".
    • Under "Driver tab" choose "Update driver".
    • Browse to C:/Medion and start the installation.
  3. ADB/Fastboot tool for windows (USB drivers included): http://www.mediafire.com/download/bk...B_Fastboot.zip
  4. You can install adb tools in Linux by following this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2431956
  5. Make sure you have USB-debugging enabled on your tablet (Settings – Developer options – USB debugging)
  6. Run Windows Command Prompt (Start Menu – Run… – write in “cmd” – press OK); point the cursor to the ADB folder by using “cd” command (a simpler way: press SHIFT and right-click on ADB folder, choose "Open this folder in command window")
  7. Open Terminal in Linux
Write the following order of commands in cmd:

BACKUP STOCK RECOVERY
See if your device is recognized (a long number)
Code:
adb devices
Enter the adb session
Code:
adb shell
Get root privileges
Code:
su
Make /system partition readable-writable, so you can make changes
Code:
mount -o rw,remount /system
Backup 1st file
Code:
mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.backup
Backup 2nd file
Code:
mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p recovery-from-boot.p.backup
Create and backup stock recovery image file
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 of=/sdcard/download/original-recovery-p9514.img

RESTORE STOCK RECOVERY

Should you at any time encounter problems with cwm touch, or you simply don't like it, you can restore your stock recovery. The commands are therefore reversed:

Restore 1st file
Code:
mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.backup /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
Restore 2nd file
Code:
mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p.backup /system/recovery-from-boot.p
Restore stock recovery to mmcblk0p1 partition
Code:
dd if=/sdcard/download/original-recovery-p9514.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1
Warning: Be carful to use the right number in mmcblk0p1. This is /recovery partition, if you use others you might brick your tablet!

An easier way to have stock recovery back is to simply re-flash ROM update zip file. But by doing this you will loose root privileges, configuration and possibly user data.

I suggest you save "original-recovery-p9514.img" also to your external sdcard and possibly to your PC. You can use your USB connection cable or a file explorer (like ES File Manager) to transfer the file to an external data storage. Another option is this adb command:
Code:
adb pull /sdcard/download/original-recovery-p9514.img

FLASH CWM TOUCH RECOVERY

Now that you’ve successfully backed-up our stock recovery, let’s flash the new cwm touch. Again there are a couple of ways to do this, I will describe in my opinion the easiest.

First download attached file, extract it and copy cwm-recovery-p9514.img to your internal sdcard. You can simply use a USB connection cable and transfer the file to the path “/sdcard/download” or use a file explorer (like ES File Manager) to copy the file.

Another method is with ADB commands. Put cwm-recovery-p9514.img in ADB folder on your PC. Open windows command window and check that your tablet is recognized (adb devices). The following line will transfer the .img file to “download” folder (you can use any other name, but the folder needs to exist on your sdcard):
Code:
adb push cwm-recovery-p9514.img /sdcard/download
To flash cwm recovery on the recovery partition, use the following commands:
Code:
adb shell     			
su				

dd if=/sdcard/download/cwm-recovery-p9514.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1
You can now reboot your tablet.

INSTALL CWM TOUCH RECOVERY USING TERMINAL EMULATOR

This is a simpler and faster way to flash my cwm touch recovery, without needing a PC/Laptop.
  1. Install one of free terminal emulators from Google Play Store.
    Here are a couple of options:
  2. Providing you already copied "cwm-recovery-p9514.img" to your tablet, skip this step. If not, look at the previous steps.
  3. Open the terminal emulator app and insert these lines:
    Code:
    su				
    dd if=/sdcard/download/cwm-recovery-p9514.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1
  4. To restore your original recovery:
    Code:
    su				
    dd if=/sdcard/download/original-recovery-p9514.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1

USING CWM TOUCH RECOVERY

To enter cwm recovery mode press hard buttons in combination: power off your tablet, press and hold VOLUME UP (PLUS) and press POWER. Once you see "Ota…" in the top left corner of the display, quickly press:
1X VOLUME DOWN (MINUS),
2X VOLUME UP (PLUS),
1X VOLUME DOWN (MINUS).

You will see the counter go to 4 and cwm recovery will start.

For a more practical access to the recovery, use this app: Quick Reboot.

Make a backup of your rom as soon as possible, to save your data.
Please do not attempt to flash any zip files using this recovery. You may damage your tablet in doing so.
"Wipe cache partition", "wipe dalvik cache" and "fix permissions" are safe processes, but use "wipe data/factory reset" only when needed.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

NOTE: I will leave older versions of cwm touch recovery available, should you have any problems with newer ones.

This guide wouldn't be possible, without the help from guys on http://www.avi-plus.com, Yves & Micky.

XDA:DevDB Information
[RECOVERY]CWM Touch 6.0.2.8 for MEDION LIFETAB P9514 [25.2.2013], ROM for the Android General

Contributors
MMWolverine
ROM OS Version: 2.3.x Gingerbread

Version Information

Created 2015-02-04
Last Updated 2015-11-01
Attached Files
File Type: zip cwm-recovery-6.0.2.7_p9514.zip - [Click for QR Code] (5.36 MB, 1425 views)
File Type: zip cwm-recovery-6.0.2.8_p9514.zip - [Click for QR Code] (5.20 MB, 2637 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MMWolverine For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MMWolverine Ad-Free
21st January 2013, 02:53 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Thumbs up
Briliant! Just found out, that there is CWM for my "old" P9514 ... great work!
Hope there will be some Custom-ROMs soon; maybe on CM basis - the Stock ROM is not that what I would call "well".
21st January 2013, 03:09 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3rm1k

Briliant! Just found out, that there is CWM for my "old" P9514 ... great work!
Hope there will be some Custom-ROMs soon; maybe on CM basis - the Stock ROM is not that what I would call "well".

Thanks! Actually not to difficult making a cwm recovery, but when it comes to custom roms I'm still a bit of a noobie. I am learning fast though, so maybe in the near future.

Oh btw, here's the recovery guide in german language: http://www.handy-faq.de/forum/medion...ml#post2385512
The Following User Says Thank You to MMWolverine For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MMWolverine Ad-Free
28th January 2013, 10:54 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Yes, I know. Because of that German post I searched here, hoping that there already might be a Custom ROM.
But I only have a LogIn here and not the muse to sign up at handy-faq.de, yet
25th February 2013, 04:03 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Many thanks for this cwm, the installation worked like a charm.
One small remark, to enter cwm you have to hold the Volume Up (Plus) and Power button. You could perhaps change this in your guide (it is correctly in the guide in german language)
I have translated your guide to Dutch on my blog, I'll hope it's no prob:
http://blog.johanvanbogaert.be/2013/...n-lifetab.html
Rgrds Johan
25th February 2013, 04:38 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopeke

Many thanks for this cwm, the installation worked like a charm.
One small remark, to enter cwm you have to hold the Volume Up (Plus) and Power button. You could perhaps change this in your guide (it is correctly in the guide in german language)
I have translated your guide to Dutch on my blog, I'll hope it's no prob:
http://blog.johanvanbogaert.be/2013/...n-lifetab.html
Rgrds Johan

Thanks for notifying me about the mistake, I already corrected it.
I updated the cwm to newest 6.0.2.8 and will change the adb drivers part of the guide, as some users have difficulties understanding it.

I see no problem that you translated my guide, after all it's from different sources and made to be used for free.
25th February 2013, 07:03 PM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMWolverine

Thanks for notifying me about the mistake, I already corrected it.
I updated the cwm to newest 6.0.2.8 and will change the adb drivers part of the guide, as some users have difficulties understanding it.

I see no problem that you translated my guide, after all it's from different sources and made to be used for free.

Hi MMWolverine, already flashed v6.0.2.8, only took a minute.
I've updated my own blog as well.

Instead of using adb it is much easier to use a terminal emulator (like ConnectBot) on Android todo the update.
To install cwm someone only needs his tablet, ConnectBot and ES File Explorer. No PC, adb, usb connection necessary for flashing cwm.
If someone has rooted his lifetab, your guide is more then easy to understand to do this installation.
But if you don't wan't to use a PC for flashing the following is possible: From the lifetab download the zip, extract with ES File Explorer,Flash with ConnectBot (only the 3 last commands from your guide are necessary: su,mount..., dd....)
25th February 2013, 07:18 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Actually, I did plan to do both guides. But I wasn't sure how many people would agree to install the terminal. Will probably do this, as you recommend.

I was also hoping, that the recovery would be uploaded to Rom manager app. Says on recovery maker website, that you need to be the device owner. Medion still isn't added to device list.
The Following User Says Thank You to MMWolverine For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MMWolverine Ad-Free
25th February 2013, 07:39 PM |#9  

More
I have checked ROM Manager before doing the installation manually, its a pitty its not jet implemented in ROM Manager. But the installation is quit straight forward.

If someone is ever making a custom ROM for the LifeTab P9514, please implement USB OTG, because thats an option I'm waiting for.
3rd March 2013, 03:36 PM |#10  

More
Great that you added the instructions todo the installation through a terminal emulator on Android. Just one remark, the adb shell command can be removed while using a terminal on Android.
24th April 2013, 12:11 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
What happens if you try to flash a zip with CWM? Why doesn't it work and what would break?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cwm, lifetab, medion, recovery, touch

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)