461 posts
Thanks Meter: 91

By Draygon, Senior Member on 13th January 2013, 01:39 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
3rd March 2013, 02:50 AM |#11  
Montreal-Shanghai
Thanks Meter: 1,270

More
This is the reason i'm not using Chrome, I'm Canadian but I live in China and Chrome keeps redirecting to Honk Kong (freaking annoying). I tried again from the Philippines but now it's redirecting to Php. I tried your solution but it doesn't work. I really think this is a MUST from a web browser. With the other browser I just set my first page to be www.google.com/ncr but we cant even set the fisrt page in Chrome.
1st April 2013, 10:36 AM |#12  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 91

More
I still don't have a solution for this.

We have the newest chrome beta 26 now, also a stable version which got a great update so far, but still no possibility for a custom search engine.

Please, is someone able to find a solution for this? I want my duckduckgo integrated into chrome for android.
3rd April 2013, 04:14 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremata

This is the reason i'm not using Chrome, I'm Canadian but I live in China and Chrome keeps redirecting to Honk Kong (freaking annoying). I tried again from the Philippines but now it's redirecting to Php. I tried your solution but it doesn't work. I really think this is a MUST from a web browser. With the other browser I just set my first page to be www.google.com/ncr but we cant even set the fisrt page in Chrome.

Me too. Currently currently in China and being redirected to HK site. Using that NCR trick is the only way. Of course after awhile have to do it again. But this happens on desktop as well so I think it's generally a cookie/time limit problem.

BTW what browser do you use? The cool thing about Chrome right now is you can turn on proxying using Google's servers and you can visit banned websites (e.g. nytimes, etc) over plain http only. Saves time sometimes instead of connecting to VPN for a quick lookup.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
15th July 2013, 05:59 PM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draygon

I still don't have a solution for this.

We have the newest chrome beta 26 now, also a stable version which got a great update so far, but still no possibility for a custom search engine.

Please, is someone able to find a solution for this? I want my duckduckgo integrated into chrome for android.

Could you perhaps persuade ddg to implement this? If a query string is included then it should search for that instead of the final directory they currently search on.
18th July 2013, 01:43 PM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
new here, sorry cannot post links....
Change the last_known_google_url" to: "https:// w w w . d u c k d u c k g o . c o m / " and not to last_known_google_url": " h t t p s : / / w w w . d u c k d u c k g o . c o m / ?q="
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift [email protected] Ad-Free
16th November 2013, 01:34 AM |#16  
Flag Frankfurt
Thanks Meter: 151

More
Yes, I am very interested in this. I've been using Firefox for a long time, but it has become very buggy and crashy, and I miss DuckDuckGo on Chrome. I've read somewhere that Chrome's source is available somewhere, I will try to download it tomorrow and change some stuff regarding the search.
30th November 2013, 06:23 PM |#17  
Flag Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 62

More
I am trying to do it with StartPage.com but instead of searching it just goes to the mobile page and it doesn't even adds he search on the pages search bar.
29th January 2014, 06:12 PM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Thumbs up
I would very much appreciate this feature as well. Wanted to use DuckDuckGo in Chrome Android and though I was blind, but I guess Chrome for Android does not let you use any custom search engine (and I'm sure Google is doing anything they can to not add it as an option).

Sorry for necromancing the thread, but it's still a very important issue IMO.
30th January 2014, 12:37 AM |#19  
Flag Stockton, CA
Thanks Meter: 272

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]

Change the last_known_google_url" to: "https:// w w w . d u c k d u c k g o . c o m / " and not to last_known_google_url": " h t t p s : / / w w w . d u c k d u c k g o . c o m / ?q="

sounds like it would work to me. but i don't know a thing about how all that works. id try it tho
21st February 2014, 12:48 AM |#20  
Flag Skopje
Thanks Meter: 1

More
To prevent Chrome from jumping to url of countries you don't want, you can do the following "fix".
1. Go to google.com/ncr
2. Search something, whatever... Test123
3. Kill the app from recents
4. Clear cache
5. Search from the ssearch bar
6. Chrome will ask you if you want to continue using google.com as your default search site or the stupid dot something one...

About the change of search engine, I'm here for that too
The Following User Says Thank You to oogrin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift oogrin Ad-Free
1st June 2014, 10:15 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Easy to fix:
Code:
"last_known_google_url": "https://www.duckduckgo.com/&"
"last_prompted_google_url": "https://www.duckduckgo.com/&"
Problem was that duckduckgo.com assumes the un-escaped word "search" added by chrome is the search term -- so we turn it into a useless option by adding the "&". Once this is done, duckduckgo correctly looks for the &q string.

Works for me on beta 36.0.1985.36
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to owenjm For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift owenjm Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)