FORUMS

[Q] Wi-Fi "Authentication error occurred"

60 posts
Thanks Meter: 19

By OrangGeeGee, Member on 14th January 2013, 01:27 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
So I have tried to trace my issue to it's roots and after a lot of investigation I decided to make this thread.

The issue:
When connecting to home wifi network I get "Authentication error occurred" even though it's the good password.
It first occurred on stock 4.1.1 ROM with stock Kernel even before rooting. What's more interesting is that I've successfully used the same wifi network for around a month. Other devices connect just fine, no settings on the router changed when this started happening. Didn't fiddle with any settings on the phone neither. I can connect to free wifi APs just fine.

What I've tried:
  • Dialing *#0011# and from service mode disabling wifi power saving feature.
  • Using all possible encryption combinations on the router (Open - no password, WEP, WPA-PSK AES and/or TKIP, WPA2-PSK AES and/or TKIP or both WPA and WPA2 at the same time), switching channels, disabling 802.11n mode.
  • Using some modded wpa_supplicant files from this thread.
  • Using a bad password just to get a different error.
  • Downloading some other wifi connectors from the Play Store including Wifi Connection Manager which claims to "Fix device Wi-Fi problems." by cleaning the stored wifi config files and maybe something more.
  • Flashed Omega v10 ROM with Perseus kernel.

All these things and basically any combinations of them worked to no avail. And the only thing that helped was being very close to the router. That way I manage to connect but moving a couple of meters away, like to a nearby room, and it starts giving the same error even though the network strength is still full at that point.

My thoughts:
I saw a similar issue at a couple of places including a similar thread last active dec 23rd, Android issues on code.google.com and androidforums, but no solutions found there worked. Also comparing how my old original Note and an even older LG P500 perform, the wifi signal is obviously weaker on the Note 2. My area is not heavy on wifi networks, so my guess is there's something wrong with wifi drivers or configuration. Sooooo.... What can I do to remedy this issue and also is there any way to beef up my wifi in the process?
14th January 2013, 06:51 AM |#2  
Flag Kolkata
Thanks Meter: 157

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangGeeGee

So I have tried to trace my issue to it's roots and after a lot of investigation I decided to make this thread.

The issue:
When connecting to home wifi network I get "Authentication error occurred" even though it's the good password.
It first occurred on stock 4.1.1 ROM with stock Kernel even before rooting. What's more interesting is that I've successfully used the same wifi network for around a month. Other devices connect just fine, no settings on the router changed when this started happening. Didn't fiddle with any settings on the phone neither. I can connect to free wifi APs just fine.

What I've tried:

• Dialing *#0011# and from service mode disabling wifi power saving feature.
  • Using all possible encryption combinations on the router (Open - no password, WEP, WPA-PSK AES and/or TKIP, WPA2-PSK AES and/or TKIP or both WPA and WPA2 at the same time), switching channels, disabling 802.11n mode.
  • Using some modded wpa_supplicant files from this thread.
  • Using a bad password just to get a different error.
  • Downloading some other wifi connectors from the Play Store including Wifi Connection Manager which claims to "Fix device Wi-Fi problems." by cleaning the stored wifi config files and maybe something more.
  • Flashed Omega v10 ROM with Perseus kernel.

All these things and basically any combinations of them worked to no avail. And the only thing that helped was being very close to the router. That way I manage to connect but moving a couple of meters away, like to a nearby room, and it starts giving the same error even though the network strength is still full at that point.

My thoughts:
I saw a similar issue at a couple of places including a similar thread last active dec 23rd, Android issues on code.google.com and androidforums, but no solutions found there worked. Also comparing how my old original Note and an even older LG P500 perform, the wifi signal is obviously weaker on the Note 2. My area is not heavy on wifi networks, so my guess is there's something wrong with wifi drivers or configuration. Sooooo.... What can I do to remedy this issue and also is there any way to beef up my wifi in the process?

I had somewhat the same issue. Autentication error.Even though WIfi worked properly on my Galaxy y.

From v9, I flashed v6 Omega and then everything was working fine. So go ahead and flash Omega v6.
14th January 2013, 06:54 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
And after that did you go back to a Jelly Bean ROM?
Edit: at first I figured omega v6 wasn't JB, but then I checked... For the peace on my mind I'll try flashing Omega v6 later today.
14th January 2013, 07:00 AM |#4  
Flag Kolkata

More
Quote:

And after that did you go back to a Jelly Bean ROM?

When I went to v6, all was working well. But when v10 was released,i flashed it,hopiing that the wifi issue is not there but alas same result.
Before flashing,I made a backup of my wifi folder found in root folder /etc/wifi .
After flashing v10, and overwriting the wifi folder with the one that i had backed up, the issue was solved even on 4.1.2 for me.

Worth a try mate.

Do report back.
14th January 2013, 07:01 AM |#5  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeshanonlyme

When I went to v6, all was working well. But when v10 was released,i flashed it,hopiing that the wifi issue is not there but alas same result.
Before flashing,I made a backup of my wifi folder found in root folder /etc/wifi .
After flashing v10, and overwriting the wifi folder with the one that i had backed up, the issue was solved even on 4.1.2 for me.

Worth a try mate.

Do report back.

Sounds very interesting. Will report Dunno if an upcoming exam is more important than solving this issue now
14th January 2013, 07:03 AM |#6  
Flag Kolkata

More
Quote:

Sounds very interesting. Will report Dunno if an upcoming exam is more important than solving this issue now

The curiosity will hamper your exam!
:P

Is it today?
14th January 2013, 07:07 AM |#7  
OP Member

More
Well there's 24 hours left, but work and catch-up for half a year is no small feat
10th March 2013, 05:15 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
To follow up, did flashing Omega v6 work?
i'm really keen to know as I am having the problem currently.
12th March 2013, 01:32 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Authentication Problem Wifi - solved for me
Hi folks - I had the same issue with my Galaxy Note I717 (it's the AT&T Note 1) that I got yesterday. I have no problem with my T959 Vibrant to connect to my router at all. But the Note always gave me the authentication problem. So I took it with me to work today and no problems at all to connect to Wifi over there - everything just worked fine.
Back at home - same issue. So I was thinking about to reset my router when I saw this button on it's side and I remembered that I had read something in the settings of my phone.
So that's what I did: When choosing the network on the phone I went to advanced settings. WPS - here I choose Push Button. After that I pushed the button on my router and voila everything worked as supposed.
After switching Wifi off and back on there was no authentication problem anymore. So to confirm the whole thing I let the phone forget the connection and I had the same authentication problem. After choosing WPS "push button" and pushing the button on the router everything worked again.

I don't know - maybe it's just basics for a lot of guys here, but I was glad to figure that out by myself and maybe it helps someone else.

In the case that it might be important - my Note runs stock ICS 4.0.4, stock kernel. is rooted and unlocked. The Vibrant runs ICS Passion V13.1 and Kernel Kiss Yum Yum Good #2. The router is a D-Link DIR 655 Wireless N
The Following User Says Thank You to knopv For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift knopv Ad-Free
12th March 2013, 03:40 AM |#10  
OP Member

More
Following up the thread:
No, flashing omega v6 didn't work for me.

What I found out is actually 5 GHz band routers work just fine (for example at my university) and all the 2.4 GHz ones give the same error if I'm not close enough to them (something like 5 meters with straight visibility and 2 meters behind closed doors with my home router Comtrend WAP 5813n).

I have called Samsung's Warranty Center to ask for assistance and since we don't have official Samsung service centers in Lithuania, they told me partnered service centers might just return the phone to me as it is and so they would call me when they found out more about this issue (that was almost 2 weeks ago). Will call them again tomorrow and will post any updates if the story develops.

EDIT: After talking to them they apologized for taking so long and assured me I was not forgotten and the issue was forwarded to UK because they have no records/info about it here in Lithuania. Strange thing is I still have my phone, they didn't even wanna check it out.
29th March 2013, 12:41 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Note 2 wireless issues
Lads I tried EVERYTHING to get connection working after it dropped on me after a month. Done everything I have read on every forum. EVERYTHING. All other Samsung devices work fine except this note 2! One other odd thing I discovered. It connects fine to any modem or roster fine then when try again on each it won't. You tell me guys? I had it with this issue. Help before I chuck it in Port Phillip Bay!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
authentication error, wifi

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)