FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Headset][Challenge][TIP] BEST headset / earphone / headphone up to €50 MAX.

5,781 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,311

By betoNL, Senior Member on 14th January 2013, 09:10 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
21st September 2013, 11:35 AM |#11  
Quote:
Originally Posted by betoNL

How you got them? How did you order?

I actually bought the aforementioned pair in person when on a trip to Hong Kong, since the Futian District is very close from there. I've bought them online before though, and I can say that it's better to buy in person.

Their online store is on AliExpress, called 'Wecome Technology'. You'll need to make an AliExpress account, then contact Ms. Angel Wu from the store, and ask for a Beats Headphone Catalog. They also sell other headphones like Bose QC15, B&W P5 and some Skullcandy sets. If you're interested in those, ask for a 'Hotsell headphone catalog'.

There are a few grades of copy headphones; in every case, aim to buy the higher quality/more expensive one. I bought a cheaper silver Monster Beats Studio before, and the colors were very inaccurate. The silver version shouldn't have red at all anywhere on the headphone.

Anyway, the combined cost of one (Studio) headphone should be $60-70 USD including EMS shipping costs. The Mixr and Solos are cheaper, at around $40-$50 total.

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

Quote:

By the way, how you know it's exactly the same thing?

I'd like to know too. I doubt it's going to be exactly the same thing, since there are countless factories making these headphones. The Syllables might have darker gray matte-plastic components, or the ear cup can slide side to side (not fixed in the center). I think that if the manufacturer isn't going to put the real logo on, then quality/accuracy might not be the best.
The Following User Says Thank You to vantt1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vantt1 Ad-Free
21st September 2013, 01:30 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 2,642

More
Quote:

Yess...can't wait for your confirmation report and how long it took to arrive, since you it's going to shipped to Holland where I also live..

Thanks guys

Are you referring to how long my purchase will take to arrive? Its coming to US from China, and since I review products for these guys, they usually send it to me using complimentary EMS service which is fast. But they also have a free shipping option (at least to US) which probably takes a few weeks just like any other typical ebay purchase.

But for sure I'm looking forward to review this pair of cans.

---------- Post added at 08:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 AM ----------

Quote:

By the way, how you know it's exactly the same thing?

Just from all the pictures on dx site comparing to the one posted in this thread. I will know for sure once I have it; will do a more up close comparison and might even take a cap off to see the circuit underneath.

Beats really put a pressure on all SH retailers for selling knock off stuff. I have received and reviewed before Beats headphone knock off (from case-parts.com/tvc-mall.com), those were identical to the real thing. Now, they can't sell these on-line because of legal actions So, I assume they all changed the name to "Syllable" and just modified "b" in there to a funky looking "s" which from a distance looks the same. But you can see its an exact looking headphones: http://dx.com/s/syllable . This version has battery for active noise cancellation (just like 2012 version of beats), while the latest 2013 Beats are rechargeable, btw.

The question now, how does it sound... The look is nothing without a sound.

---------- Post added at 08:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantt1

I'd like to know too. I doubt it's going to be exactly the same thing, since there are countless factories making these headphones. The Syllables might have darker gray matte-plastic components, or the ear cup can slide side to side (not fixed in the center). I think that if the manufacturer isn't going to put the real logo on, then quality/accuracy might not be the best.

As I mentioned in my previous post, Beats lawyer are all over the on-line places that sell and ship to US knock offs of their products. I assume that's what triggered "Syllable" change (http://dx.com/s/syllable). Again, it's also my assumption these will be identical to the one in your picture because of the price. DX has some of the cheapest prices, down to ebay level, so if they price cans for $60 - its gotta be quality. So, once I'm going to receive those, I will do a very careful examination and pictures using your post as a reference to determine if all the details are the same. Sounds like you done a great study and have an extensive experience with those knock offs. Wow, and you got so many of those already? Do you have real Beats as well? Were you comparing it to real beats? You mentioned sound quality was better, so again I assume you have real $300 Beats and can do a/b comparison. Awhile back I received one of the beat earbud knock offs, back when case-parts.com use to carry it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...15327974430631 - I wasn't impressed with a sound, but everybody said that's exactly how real beats sound. At the same time, I also ordered and compared Otterbox Defender from them, and next to the real one - it was identical. I guess you can replicate physical parts, and maybe do reverse engineering on a circuit, but the drivers itself? wouldn't that be tough to match?
The Following User Says Thank You to vectron For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vectron Ad-Free
21st September 2013, 02:57 PM |#13  
I own or have owned three pairs of Beats; a black Beats Studio that I got from Harvey Norman about 18 months ago in Australia - back then they were $499 AUD. The price since then has rapidly dropped to $399, then $369, $299 and now $249. I also have a pair of Executives bought from the Apple Store close to its release date, and owned a pair of Beats Pro Detox before selling it because it was too heavy and clamped my head like a vice.

The Beats Executive broke at the headband hinge, and is now in pieces. The circuit board seems to be more or less the same as the Studio's, but has three screw holes instead of two. It is also mounted upside down.

As for the speaker driver, I'd say the speakers are nearly identical after closer inspection. The only difference is the color of the paper that covers the holes on the back of the driver (and coverage on the bottom left hole) . The driver and microphone itself (paper aside) are identical, all down to the magnet dome curvature, red permanent marker mark in the same location and the gap size where the speaker coil joins up with the +/- contacts.

Fun fact: the speaker driver of all Beats models are actually identical to each other. For example, the Solo HD drivers are interchangeable with those of the Detox.

The only difference is probably the paper behind the driver and the dual-speaker design of the Solo HDs (the circuit is a highpass/lowpass filter that sends highs to the tweeter that sits inside the apex of the speaker cage as seen in the above image).

---------- Post added at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

It's like I'm revealing all of Beats' trade secrets here...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vantt1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vantt1 Ad-Free
21st September 2013, 03:26 PM |#14  

More
Neah, you are revealing that these headphones cost probably $40 to manufacture (considering HK shops have a very small profit margin since they sell in quantity), and Dr Dre and Co. have $250-$350 markup to pocket money with a brilliant brainwashing campaign. I had someone at my work just mentioning that his 14 year old wants to buy $300 beats, and he doesn't what to tell him. So, I sent him link to Syllable. He is waiting for me to review it. Beside carbon copy design, from a distance even that "s" label looks like "b". I told him it will be safe for his kid to wear it on a street; if he gets jumped - they will see he has a fake ones.

I'm happy to hear the sound quality is on par. Really can't wait to get these and test is out. I will not have a comparison reference, unless I go to a local Best Buy, but will judge it based on my own ears and every other headphone I listened to before.

Thanks m8 for all your insights, comparison, and circuit details - really appreciate that!
21st September 2013, 03:58 PM |#15  
That's the thing though - Beats is all about brand and image. Your colleague's son, being a 14 year-old, will probably not settle for the Syllables due to the fear of being branded by his peers as a cheapo or a wannabe or something like that.

Oh yes and about being jumped; people who can differentiate the Syllables from Beats are not the type of people who jump other people. But the people who would jump someone for their Beats probably won't be able to tell at first glance, resulting in being jumped for having Syllables. All it takes is a mistaken view from a distance, then a swift snatch by the headband straight off the head while running past from behind.

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

Anyway back on topic. I also recommend the JVC HA-S500 and the Audio Technica ATH-M30. And also the replica Bose OE2i from that AliExpress store. The carry case for the OE2i is about the size of 10 CDs stacked on top of one another. The replicas reproduce around 75% of the real thing's sound quality/clarity, and 95% of the material quality. (tested at a Bose outlet store)

JVC HA-S500 (€40-€45)

Audio Technica ATH-M30 (if you're lucky, about €50)

Bose OE2i (replicas - about €40)
22nd September 2013, 01:30 AM |#16  

More
But AliExpress stores don't accept PayPal, at least the ones I have dealt with before. It always makes me anxious to give them my credit card number.
22nd September 2013, 01:48 AM |#17  
Yes, that's true. But AliExpress is one of the more trustworthy sites because it is a subsidiary of Alibaba, one of the largest wholesale internet trade websites in the world. If a seller is being dishonest, you can open a dispute or report them. It can affect other potential costumer's view of the seller, and they don't want that.
22nd September 2013, 05:56 AM |#18  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 432

More
Quote:

Yes, that's true. But AliExpress is one of the more trustworthy sites because it is a subsidiary of Alibaba, one of the largest wholesale internet trade websites in the world. If a seller is being dishonest, you can open a dispute or report them. It can affect other potential costumer's view of the seller, and they don't want that.

I deal with AliExpress for years and have not a single problem with abuse with my credit card. Very satisfied customer here. And because your review of the beats studio replicas I ordered 2 just about 2 hours ago, thank you for your input on these replicas.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
22nd September 2013, 06:47 AM |#19  
Quote:
Originally Posted by parusia

I deal with AliExpress for years and have not a single problem with abuse with my credit card. Very satisfied customer here. And because your review of the beats studio replicas I ordered 2 just about 2 hours ago, thank you for your input on these replicas.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

That's great! Which two colors did you get? You know they have some cool colors like 'black and yellow' and Colorware Mirror as well. I have yet to buy them, and I'm waiting for the release of the new Beats Studio replicas.

Please share your experiences with us when you receive the headphones!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app
22nd September 2013, 07:53 AM |#20  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 432

More
Quote:

That's great! Which two colors did you get? You know they have some cool colors like 'black and yellow' and Colorware Mirror as well. I have yet to buy them, and I'm waiting for the release of the new Beats Studio replicas.

Please share your experiences with us when you receive the headphones!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

Red with black, and pure black. And yes I will share how they are working once I receive them. Again thank you for your suggestion.

Sent from my AT100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
headphone, headset, note2

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)