FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[MOD]webcam as fully functional rear cam!

617 posts
Thanks Meter: 147

By unreal3000, Senior Member on 15th January 2013, 11:56 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
EDIT: sorry for the jittery video :P new one on its way! and added another link just to amuse you :P
hey guys!
today i was really curious as to how i could get a webcam to fully function, and to maybe permanently use one as a web cam. after hours of surfing, i found that their is a way to preview, but not to actually use one. so i wanted to fix this problem!
after hours of research, and a bit of testing, and have finally reached some success!
found a thread in the viewsonic g tablet section, that managed to do about the the same. since they were both tegra based, with similar enough soc's , i decided to experiment. with stock kernel and firmwares, the nexus 7 has drivers for plug and play webcams. what this mod does is gives permissions and makes the webcam show up as a rear camera feed. WITH THIS MOD ACTIVE YOU CANNOT USE YOUR FRONT CAM.
it was made for the g tab. if modifications are made, we may be able to bring it back.
WARNING: as usual, i am not responsible for any mishaps that may happen by you doing this mod, including nuclear monkeys taking over the world.
i am coating the writer at the g tab thread for the credits on who originaly made the base for this mod for the gtab : "Credit BELONGS to Borkata at "another site""

so first, u will need:
1. a UVC webcam. or simply, a plug and play camera. anything that didnt need anything extra to work, other than you plugging it in. some only need the extra cd to use its full potential, but may work without one. check here: http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/#devices
95% of webcams should work.
2. the attached file. (camera.tegra3.so)
3. nexus 7 :P
4.OTG CABLE!
5.a camera app other than stock. (lgcamera or similar)
STEPS!

EXTRACT and COPY the camera.tegra3.so FILE INTO your tablet's /SYSTEM/LIB/HW folder, and reboot. BACK UP THE ORIGINAL camera.tegra3.so if u want to revert later.
plug in your camera.
open up terminal emulator. run this:

su
chown system.camera /dev/video0
chmod 660 /dev/video0

now go to your camera app and check it out!
taking pics works fine. video has bad fps though. response is a bit slow too. but i think these are software issues.
you will need to put those lines in the terminal everytime you plug in the camera. (or make some kind of a script, or ask someone to)
i am not improving this mod simply because i dont have the experience to. but i did want to share this with you.
here is a little demo i uploaded of it so u guys can get an idea of it-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU-Jo...HtFRsQ&index=1

original g tab thread- http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1789642
MUST WATCH- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXpsxB0oD-E :P
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXpsxB0oD-E[/YOUTUBE]

hit thanks if i helped
Attached Files
File Type: zip camera.tegra3.zip - [Click for QR Code] (32.3 KB, 2701 views)
The Following 37 Users Say Thank You to unreal3000 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift unreal3000 Ad-Free

15th January 2013, 06:06 PM |#2  
Flag Linz
Thanks Meter: 23

Donate to Me
More
Nice Work.....Thanks Man.....It works great
rgds
16th January 2013, 09:31 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Hi there,

there is any chance to exclude the input script every time connected the camera?

Is possible to make any permanent script so when camera connected, starts working on the go?

Regards.
16th January 2013, 04:09 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasafly

Hi there,

there is any chance to exclude the input script every time connected the camera?

Is possible to make any permanent script so when camera connected, starts working on the go?

Regards.

yes, but i honestly dont know how. it shouldnt be that hard. i am sure some other dev can help out here. definitly possible, but i just suck at making scripts.
16th January 2013, 09:22 PM |#5  
Flag Харьков
Thanks Meter: 13

More
my cam logitech quickcam xpress does not suppors(((( black screen in display.
16th January 2013, 09:36 PM |#6  
Flag Linz
Thanks Meter: 23

Donate to Me
More
At the beginning it takes some time, but after successful work, it has recognized my Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 and works fine with it.
Thanks again
16th January 2013, 10:54 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
hmm i wonder is there any chance getting photosphere to work with this mod
17th January 2013, 12:05 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
is there a possibility to record video (on motion) ?
like with motion or mjpeg_streamer?

thx
17th January 2013, 12:57 AM |#9  
Flag Lenexa
Thanks Meter: 1,695

Donate to Me
More
can i put this in my rom giving you full credits?
17th January 2013, 03:58 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoller1

can i put this in my rom giving you full credits?

sure! not a problem! its xda! everything posted here is meant to be shared and used
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjoji

hmm i wonder is there any chance getting photosphere to work with this mod

should work with a camera app that has photosphere built in or similar. havent tested much though.
The Following User Says Thank You to unreal3000 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift unreal3000 Ad-Free
18th January 2013, 02:37 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Re: [MOD]webcam as fully functional rear cam!
File not found while writing "chown system.camera /dev/video0"
How can i fix that?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
nexus, nexus 7, otg, rear camera, webcam

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)