In your opinion, when looking back at this thread, how easy were the instructions?

• Total voters
Search This thread

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Change the Kindle Fire HD and 2 Lock Screen Noob (Simple) Version

To All -

We are getting a high number of people asking how to replace the Kindle lock screen, well here it is.........

We are adding this option to Kindle Fire First Aide over the next week.

Thank you to everyone involved in the project!

test42myhttp

Mar 22, 2012
Kindloe HD 8.9 and Nova launcher

Nova launcher does not show when I am trying to select a preferred launcher, in fact I tried other launchers and none showed up in the list..only Home and Free Time, I have gone over the instructions and I am doing everything as written.

Also, do you any instructions to remove Magic Locker, I would like to uninstall and install again, maybe that will work.

I have rebooted multiple times to no avail.

Thank you

geeibara

Feb 19, 2013
Is it possible to do with with Go launcher HD activated? I tried using another theme, the Android 4 Free, and the lost robot music, and it seems to be lagging a lot when I turn off and on the screen to see the theme. Is it because I have these two applications running at the same time. Do I need to choose between the two?

bdeatha

Dec 17, 2012
Thanks!

thanks alot!i learn alot from your threads.can you pls attach NoLock,MagicLocker and the themes needed instead of google play store.i wanted to download it thru my computer.thanks!

firstbrick

Feb 9, 2013
Brew City
Any news on the new tutorial?

Reserved for new tutorial

Any news on this upcoming NOOB Tutorial? " [HOW TO] Keep The Original Kindle Fire Lock Screen and Change The Photos" Anxiously watching, I really don't want to change the lock screen - just the photos, safely! Thank you for all you do, the information provided in these forums is invaluable, and I for one, really appreciate the 'noob' pieces! :good:

techdeisel

Oct 31, 2010
Xiaomi Mi Max 3
LG Velvet
Any news on this upcoming NOOB Tutorial? " [HOW TO] Keep The Original Kindle Fire Lock Screen and Change The Photos" Anxiously watching, I really don't want to change the lock screen - just the photos, safely! Thank you for all you do, the information provided in these forums is invaluable, and I for one, really appreciate the 'noob' pieces! :good:

+1:thumbup:

Sent from my KFTT

daruiner

Apr 6, 2011
Lincoln
I tried this but decided I really didn't like Magic Locker. Now, I can't uninstall the app. When I manage applications, the Uninstall option is not available. I tried using RootAppDelete to uninstall it, but it didn't seem to work. Any suggestion how to remove this?

thekid41

Jun 1, 2013
Is anyone else having problems with magic locker force closing ?

Sent from my KFTT using xda app-developers app

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Update

To All-

I am back after a long bout of health issues. I have changed everything, my diet to my lifestyle.

I am really sorry for the people caught in the cross fire of my health, I will make it up to you over time.

I will begin to reply, slowly! Be patient. Those who have devices in my possession will be repaired in the next month, sorry for the delay but I was unable to do anything over the last months.

Best Regards,

Chris Bryant
Prokennexusa

jayray8825

Dec 27, 2013
no pictures

I have tried like four different themes with the ability to use separate pictures that I have on my kindle fire hd 7" but none of them seem to show up, I always end up with a black screen and no pictures. I've tried changing the file formats and resizing to 1280x800 and still nothing. Is it just the theme's themselves or something else?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In this Noob Series we explore How To Change the Kindle Fire Lock Screen and Eliminate the Annoying Double Lock Screen. When you complete this Tutorial you will be able to have the Lock Screen look the way you want it to look. The software we use to replace the Kindle Fire Lock Screen is Magic Locker. We decided on Magic Locker since it is well supported and it offers several hundres Themes, so the Lock Screen can look the way you want it to look. If you do not like to work on the Kindle, our new software, Kindle Fire First Aide will automate this process in the next version - Production Version 4.2.4. You can obtain a copy of the software here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888 - Version 4.2.4 will Root your Kindle Fire, Install Google Play, Install Google Apps, Install this Custom Locker, Automated ADB Driver Install and an Additional 40 other Automated Operations! We attempt to keep this tutorial updated regularly - adding information from the end users experience. We have recently upgraded the storage servers to increase uptime, you now have two options for the downloads both are ad free. Option one is a Dropbox Storage Server and Option two is a Ubuntu One Storage Server, if one is under maintenance you may use the other download link. When you are done with the tutorial, please take the time to post feedback, this is very important to us - without your feedback, we have no way of knowing if we are doing our job. Finally, if you feel we did a decent job, please think about donating to us using the "Donate to Me" button - this is how we make a living, without your kind donations we would no longer be able to do this for a living.

If you prefer and are into your own custom Photos you may edit the photos in the original Kindle Fire HD and 2 Lock Screen. This requires a solid knowledge of Photoshop or some other picture editor like GIMP that can change the photo size to 1280x800. If this is your preference, move down to Post #2 below. Post #1 will allow you to do just about anything to the Locker and you do not need Photo Editor knowledge plus Post #1 supports over 1000 Themes.

Prerequisites:

1. Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Fire HD 8.9" or Kindle Fire 2
    2. Rooted Kindle: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2069117
    3. Google Play: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2069329

Custom Locker Step 1. Using Google Play, search for "No Lock". Download and Install No Lock - You may use this link to verify the software: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.jraf.android.nolock&hl=en

Custom Locker Step 2: DO NOT Open No Lock, it will fail. Next, go to the Kindle, open up ES File Explorer or Root Explorer

Custom Locker Step 3: Be sure to enable Superuser on ES File Explorer. Navigate to /data/app, find org.jaf.androidnolock-1.apk - long press on the APK, select Move or Move To. Next, Move org.jaf.androidnolock-1.apk from /data/app to /system/app.

Custom Locker Step 4: Next find org.jaf.androidnolock-1.apk in /system/app. Long press and Choose Permissions (on Root Explorer) or Properties (on ES File Explorer). Change the Permissions to: Owner: Read Write Group: Read Others: Read - Click OK to apply the Permissions.

Custom Locker Step 5: DO NOT Open No Lock. Pull down the Upper Status Bar, Select More+, Select Sounds & Display and change the Screen Timeout to: Never and then reboot the Kindle.

Custom Locker Step 6: Once the Kindle is back to the desktop, open No Lock which is found in the Kindle Apps, select "Locking disabled".

Custom Locker Step 7: Using Google Play Search for MagicLocker Main which you can find here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.lockscreen.magiclocker - Download and Install Magic Locker Main

Custom Locker Step 8: Be sure to enable Superuser on ES File Explorer. Navigate to /data/app, find mobi.lockscreen.magiclocker-1.apk - long press on the APK, select Move or Move To. Next, Move mobi.lockscreen.magiclocker-1.apk from /data/app to /system/app.

Custom Locker Step 9: Next find mobi.lockscreen.magiclocker-1.apk in /system/app. Long press and Choose Permissions (on Root Explorer) or Properties (on ES File Explorer). Change the Permissions to: Owner: Read Write Group: Read Others: Read - Click OK to apply the Permissions.

Custom Locker Step 10: Using Google Play Search for MagicLocker Theme - Download and Install a few Themes that interest you. I use Starry lock screen and Jelly Bean lock screen.

Custom Locker Step 11: Launch MagicLocker Main, click on Next, Next, Next - You will now see a popup, click Next and choose Clear Defaults until it Grays Out, click on the picture of a house (Home Button), you will be asked which Launcher to Use, you choose MagicLocker Main <Select Default>.

Custom Locker Step 12: Launch MagicLocker Main, sometimes you are taken to your regular Launcher App, if this happens repeat Step 11. Select "Lost Robot Music" and click Apply. Next MagicLocker applies the Theme and asks if you would like to Customize it, answer Yes or No depending on your interests. I selected No so we can move on. You can always customize it latter.

Custom Locker Step 13: Next MagicLocker will show you an example of the Theme. Unlock it by pulling down the circle in the Android Picture.

Custom Locker Step 14: Now we need to customize the way MagicLocker reacts when you unlock to the Left which is a Phone Call and when you unlock to the Right which is a SMS Application. Unlock straight down just unlocks the screen.

Custom Locker Step 15: OK, lock the Kindle by depressing the Power Button for 1 brief Second until the screen turns black. Depress the Power Button briefly again, you will see the lock Screen. Unlock to the Right, next you are asked which is your SMS Software, I use Go SMS Pro. Check the Box to "Always use this application". Unlock to the Left, next you are asked which is your Phone Software, I use Google Voice and Groove. Check the Box to "Always use this application".

Custom Locker Step 16: Next, let's install the Themes. Find the name of the Themes you downloaded in Step 8. In this example we picked Starry lock screen and Jelly Bean lock screen. So go into the Apps. Find Starry lock screen, click on Starry lock screen and select "Install this theme". The installer will process and you will be back at the MagicLocker main Theme Menu. Exit MagicLocker, then go to Apps, find Jelly Bean lock screen, click on Starry lock screen and select "Install this theme". The installer will process and you will be back at the MagicLocker main Theme Menu.

Custom Locker Step 17: Now we need to let MagicLocker know what is your Default Launcher, so launch MagicLocker, find Preferred Home Launcher, click on Preferred Home Launcher and select your Launcher, we use Nova Launcher Prime.

Custom Locker Step 18: Let's eliminate the Ads from ever appearing again. Open either ES File Explorer or Root Explorer, navigate to /system/app find the dtcp_apk.ap, long press dtcp_apk.apk select Rename. Rename dtcp_apk.apk to dtcp_apk.old.

Custom Locker Step 19: Reboot the Kindle.

Custom Locker Step 20: Whenever you reboot, the Kindle Fire Framework starts before anything else, so you may see the Kindle lock screen at Reboot IF you do not let everything start. If you can not wait 5 to 10 minutes, unlock it and let all the services start, usually 10 minutes is sufficient. Once you unlock it, you will notice there are no more Ads! After 10 minutes No Lock Service kicks in and disables the Kindle Fire Lock Screen. We have attempted to play with the start-up timing and ended up with Framework missing, so Amazon was smart when they thought out this function. Also, the service that controls the lock screen is part of the same group that displays the Kindle Framework when you unlock it. Finally, if you do wait 10 minutes you will never see the old Kindle Fire Lock Screen!

That is it! Next we will offer you a solution with the stock lock screen but you will need high resolution photos to make it function properly. Be sure to look at our new Backup and Recovery Software for the Kindle Fire Series: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888
    [HOW TO] Keep The Original Kindle Fire Lock Screen and Change The Photos

Reserved for new tutorial
    Follow Up - Feedback

Thank you for the tutorial, ill give it a whack tomorrow. The slide lock doesnt bother me much,i actually prefer it... but i wanna disable it just because i wanna have full control of my device. Take that amazon!

drugfreejonnyxxx,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments drugfreejonnyxxx. I can completely understand and agree, I too want full control of our Kindles!
    Post Mistake

please delete. question was answered already once reread.

meddle70,

No worries meddle70!
    Kindle Fire HD and 2 - Go Locker Option

Thank you for this guide. I took the Golocker instead of the Magiclocker and it worked as a charm as well.
    The only issue I still have, is the “star“ favorite button in the lower right corner. Although the “home“ button has been disabled within the locker software, the star is still active. Think, it's the same with Magiclocker, isn't it?

nakedtruthishere,

I am glad you used this thread with your preferred software. That is the idea, to spark someone to do something different.

I do have to say, Magic Locker will force the Kindle locker to diable, I am not sure if Go Locker will perform the same task. Post your results when done.

No, Magic Locker does not disable the Home button. Magic locker uses the Home button directly and routes your Launcher through Magic Locker.