FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

[TUTORIAL] How to Manually ROOT your RK3066 Device (UG007, iMitio MX1/2, mk808?)

3,622 posts
Thanks Meter: 12,015

By digitalhigh, Recognized Developer on 16th January 2013, 04:02 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
These are instructions for rooting Android devices that utilize the RK3066 chipset (Cortex A9 Dual Core, MALI Quad-Core GFX).

I have tested and verified that these instructions work for the UG007 Android-on-a-stick...they *should* work with any other devices that utilize the same USB chipset. I can almost guarantee this will work on the Imito MX1/2 as you can swap ROMS from this device.

(Basically, if you have the right ADB drivers, you should be good to go)

As per every other thread you read on this site - I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES YOU MAY CAUSE TO YOUR DEVICE.

This is a fairly risk-free mod, but you know...$hit happens.

Okay. Let's start.

THIS TUTORIAL ASSUMES YOU HAVE ADB AND KNOW HOW TO USE IT, and that you're in a Windows environment. There are numerous places on the web where you can find this info...and I ain't yo mamma.

1. Download all the files attached to this thread.

2. Attach your RK3066 device to your computer via it's microUSB port. You'll need to have it hooked to a display too.

3. Once booted, go to system settings. Under settings > developer options, enable USB Debugging. Under settings > USB, click "connect to computer" (This may vary depending on your ROM configuration. The point here is to have debugging enabled and your computer to recognize the stick in device manager as something other than USB storage)

4. Extract the right drivers for your system (x86/x64)

5. Go to device manager on your computer. Look for the new "unknown device". Right-click, pick "update driver software"., "browse my computer".

6. Browse to wherever you extracted the drivers in step 4. Click Next. Confirm that you want to install.

7. Open a command window in the directory where you have ADB. Type "adb devices". Still nothing, right?

8. Navigate to C:\users\MYUSERNAME\.android, where "MYUSERNAME" is your User Name. (Duh?)

9. Create a file called adb_usb.ini

10. Open it in a text editor. Add the following string and save (This tells ADB to look for our Vendor ID:

0x2207

11. You should now be able to type "adb devices" at CMD and see your device.

12. Now for the fun. Extract the stuff from "pushme" to the same directory as ADB.

13. Enter the following commands (note: The "$" and "#" symbols do not get keyed in):
Code:
adb push psneuter /data/local/tmp
adb shell
$ cd /data/local/tmp
$ chmod 777 psneuter
$ ./psneuter
14. Psneuter should run and close shell when done. Enter MOAR commands:

Code:
adb kill-server
adb devices
adb shell
15. Take a good look. Is there now a "#" sign? Good. You now have root access. You may continue. If not, then proceed to go yell at me in the comments. If yes, then proceed to enter the last batch of commands to make your newfound privileges permanent:

Code:
mount -o remount,rw -t rfs /dev/block/st19 /system
exit
adb push busybox /system/bin
adb push su /system/bin
adb install Superuser.apk
adb shell
# chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
# chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
# mount -o remount,ro -t rfs /dev/block/st19 /system
# exit
adb reboot
After a reboot, download a root app from Play Store to see if it worked! I find Root Checker is boffo for this sort of thing:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...51bGwsMSwyLDNd

THANKS/CREDITS:

Aaron Orquia @ Pocketables.com for the original "universal" root method.

AMJtech's tutorial where I found working ADB drivers and the adb_usb.ini bit to get it recognized.

The guy(s) who make Super1ClickRoot for putting all the necessary files in one easy-to-find spot.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PLT-7035_ADB_Drivers_-_32_bit.zip - [Click for QR Code] (3.80 MB, 5584 views)
File Type: zip PLT-7035_ADB_Drivers_-_64_bit.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.49 MB, 6725 views)
File Type: zip PushThese.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.26 MB, 10385 views)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to digitalhigh For This Useful Post: [ View ]

16th January 2013, 07:38 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Thanks for this tutorial.

A couple of notes:

Wow !! That's a lot of extra steps for you Windows users. Mac and Linux users start at step 11 (but if you are a Mac or Linux user, you already knew that. )

Linux: If the device still does not show up in Step 11, post, and I can help (Hint: It may not be /just/ the udev stuff.)

Is step 13 necessary? adb remount works on mine. (not sure if I had to adb root first or not) but I can have a root shell via adb without psnueter.

If adb remount succeeds, skip step 14, and continue with the 3rd line of step 15.
16th January 2013, 08:01 PM |#3  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Milwaukee, WI
Thanks Meter: 12,015

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuxslate

Thanks for this tutorial.

A couple of notes:

Wow !! That's a lot of extra steps for you Windows users. Mac and Linux users start at step 11 (but if you are a Mac or Linux user, you already knew that. )

Linux: If the device still does not show up in Step 11, post, and I can help (Hint: It may not be /just/ the udev stuff.)

Is step 13 necessary? adb remount works on mine. (not sure if I had to adb root first or not) but I can have a root shell via adb without psnueter.

If adb remount succeeds, skip step 14, and continue with the 3rd line of step 15.

Thanks for the input! Yes, yes, I know windoze makes more work. It's also pretty widespread for folks.

For step 13 - I think it depends on the device. It would be nice for others to weigh in and let me know if it's needed. If not, I can totally remove it.

Also, in the other ROM thread, I made, it's even easier to root - you just grab one of the pre-rooted ROMS and drop it in SD card...the system does the rest. Mind you, this is for the UG007.
The Following User Says Thank You to digitalhigh For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th January 2013, 07:36 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Links UG007
If you Bluetooth connection is not working properly, try to install this custom ROM: http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php...-tv-box/ug007/

How to install CWM-based Recovery: http://androtab.info/clockworkmod/rockchip/

Both worked for me. I was able to connect my BT Keyboard/Mouse Pad combo
1st February 2013, 03:46 PM |#5  
Flag Selenca
Thanks Meter: 41

More
./psneuter
Failed to set prot mask (Inappropriate ioctl for device) ??
The Following User Says Thank You to walent For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift walent Ad-Free
1st February 2013, 07:20 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 43

More
nice tutorial.. while finding the best way to work my ug007 i stumbled upon this thread via armtvtech.com
currently i only knew this tutorial to root the device, but looking at yours ill give it a try first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalhigh

Also, in the other ROM thread, I made, it's even easier to root - you just grab one of the pre-rooted ROMS and drop it in SD card...the system does the rest. Mind you, this is for the UG007.

you cant install custom roms without flashmode, cant do flashmode without opening device.. or did i get it wrong!? talking about the ug007
actually you can install a custom rom once you are rooted without opening the device, here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuxslate

(Hint: It may not be /just/ the udev stuff.)

ehm.. im still preparing to root, i guess you hint at the android sdk?
if not ill holla back at you and complain why you didnt write it out in first place
but very good to know that i skip alot by "almost" only installing ubuntu to a vm
2nd February 2013, 03:55 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I may be missing something, but I couldn't get this to work on my UG007

psneuter didn't work for me, gave me an error about 'invalid ioctl' or something. But the strangest thing is that "adb shell" already shows the # in the prompt.

To confirm my suspitions, I also typed "adb root", which returned "adb is already running as root".

So I proceeded with the rest of the instructions. No errors appeared, installed Superuser and I can see su and busybox in system/bin

But when I download root checker it says it wasn't properly rooted. installing terminal and type "su" says permission denied - and that's it.

Am I missing something? I'm new to this rooting thing, so please don't be angry with my noobish questions
4th February 2013, 05:19 PM |#8  

More
Angry
I managed to do it - but *not* by following this tutorial.

I used this: armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/viewtopic.php?t=28 (Cant post links yet, sorry!)
Only ran the "TPSarky-VonDroid-Root" bat, and presto! I had root on UG007.

I even fixed the changing MAC address problem with wlan.ko from armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=632&start=10 (link on page 2). I just copied it to /data/local/tmp, set permissions as rwr--r-- and then used root explorer to copy it to /system/lib/modules - now I have wifi signal every time I boot the device, and don't need to mess with my router config every time

I also manage to get xbox360 wired controller working. xpad.ko on /data/local/tmp and then insmod /data/local/tmp/xpad.ko - just connect the joystick after that, and it will be recognized. Only problem is, after a reboot I have to insmod again.

I tried doing the same thing I did with wlan.ko, but nothing happens - system won't load it on boot. Am I missing something here?
15th February 2013, 03:58 PM |#9  

More
The psneuter is broken
I'm on Linux, running a RK3066, and psneuter gives "Failed to set prot mask (Inappropriate ioctl for device)". Running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.1.1, kernel 3.0.8+, build RK30_anpei10w1am-r4.0.57.20121207, A10-2 cpu.
15th February 2013, 08:03 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLotman

I may be missing something, but I couldn't get this to work on my UG007

psneuter didn't work for me, gave me an error about 'invalid ioctl' or something. But the strangest thing is that "adb shell" already shows the # in the prompt.

To confirm my suspitions, I also typed "adb root", which returned "adb is already running as root".

So I proceeded with the rest of the instructions. No errors appeared, installed Superuser and I can see su and busybox in system/bin

But when I download root checker it says it wasn't properly rooted. installing terminal and type "su" says permission denied - and that's it.

Am I missing something? I'm new to this rooting thing, so please don't be angry with my noobish questions

Try renaming old "su".

Check permissions on the su and busybox you installed.
21st March 2013, 06:37 AM |#11  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 13

More
MK808, MK809 [model T002], and the MK802 III anyone?
Hi,
Thanks OP for this information.

I have a Samsung S3 [my first android device] which I rooted with no problem, but am a total noob when it comes to these android sticks.
One can say they are very similar, so I wont be completely in the dark. OK, now that we got that out of the way...

Can anyone please confirm whether they have used this with the MK808, MK809 [model T002], and the MK802 III,
I have ordered these from 1 from amazon and 2 from ebay and am expecting delivery shortly, therefore I just want to make sure before I go bricking them one by one...

I notice that they all have RK3066 Cortex A9 chips but are manufactured by different companies. The ones I see on eBay, although they all bear the same code MK8xx, they all look very different! I presume the MK8xx code is a universal model?? just like 80486 was to the PC? given the case does this method work universally?

I intend to set them up with XBMC media centres and to use with a Xbox controller. Any advice on the best way for achieving this would be nice too.

Thanks
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)