FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Audacity 2.0.2 for WinRT

39 posts
Thanks Meter: 32

By irony_delerium, Member on 17th January 2013, 08:26 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
As I've noticed requested a few times, Audacity for WinRT.

It's completely untested (except for starting up) at the moment - it's too loud where I happen to be for me to do much in the way of other testing. It did happily start up, though, once I got past:

Code:
#     pragma comment(linker, "\"/manifestdependency:type='win32' name='Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls' version='6.0.0.0' processorArchitecture='X86' publicKeyToken='6595b64144ccf1df'\"")
There's some potential breakage in a few places because it was using specialized functions for rounding; as well, most of the architecture-specific code was replaced with the generic versions. (Audacity has support for ARM, but it looks like it's only on Linux, and would require gcc to compile the ARM optimizations.)

Chris

EDIT: Added the source diffs. Most of the changes are to the build options (the diffs contain the migrated VS2012 project files as well) - apply with "cat patch | patch -p1" from the respective source directories. There's a patch included for both Audacity and wxWidgets, both working. The base tarballs can be found at the respective project websites.

wxWidgets: Don't let VS2012 build it automatically. As discovered by a few other people on some of the Win8 threads, VS2012 manages to start multiple processes that try to lock the same log file simultaneously and so the build breaks. I worked around this by building just the subprojects that I needed one at a time (right click on the project, build only [project].)

Audacity: Nothing major here except for disabling any and all inline assembler and letting it fall back on generic C/C++ defaults instead. The build doesn't end up copying the Nyquist files into the win\ARM\Unicode Release directory but since this seems like all it's doing is a straight copy operation, it shouldn't be a problem. Help isn't included (I haven't installed Python on any of my Win8 Pro installs yet, which is required to build the Audacity help), nor is it localized. Instructions for both are included in the Audacity source.

EDIT 2: Got a build of lame 3.99.5 for WinRT here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7&postcount=13

Follow the instructions in the post to add MP3 export support to Audacity.

EDIT 3:

Full source code for Audacity and wxWidgets:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jvttp9em9w...city-winrt.zip

This is the full source used for building Audacity 2.0.2 and wxWidgets 2.8.12 for WinRT. The license is included in the ZIP file (audacity-src-2.0.2\LICENSE.txt - GPLv2; wxWidgets-2.8.12\docs\license.txt, wxWidgets-2.8.12\docs\lgpl.txt - LGPLv2 with additional rights). The Audacity build has been updated as well to include the license of both wxWidgets and Audacity.
Attached Files
File Type: zip audacity-diff.zip - [Click for QR Code] (236.2 KB, 2280 views)
File Type: zip Audacity.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.51 MB, 4979 views)
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to irony_delerium For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift irony_delerium Ad-Free

19th January 2013, 03:32 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 832

More
Re: Audacity 2.0.2 for WinRT
Thanks for your work but I think you should post this in the Windows section specifically, threads get lost in this section quickly.
The Following User Says Thank You to eksasol For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift eksasol Ad-Free
19th January 2013, 04:25 AM |#3  
OP Member
Flag Portland, OR

More
I would be posting it there but the entire Win8 section is blocked off to me until I manage to get in another 4 posts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksasol

Thanks for your work but I think you should post this in the Windows section specifically, threads get lost in this section quickly.

20th January 2013, 01:29 AM |#4  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,921

More
Nice job, thank you! Added to the list.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GoodDayToDie Ad-Free
20th January 2013, 02:52 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Anyone know if lame_enc.dll would be possible to also get compiled for ARM? Otherwise it's impossible to export to MP3.
20th January 2013, 06:29 AM |#6  
OP Member
Flag Portland, OR

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80

Anyone know if lame_enc.dll would be possible to also get compiled for ARM? Otherwise it's impossible to export to MP3.

It should be possible. As far as I'm aware, lame is pretty cross-platform already, so if anything it might be that the generic version of the code has to be built with vc2012 instead of an ARM-optimized port. I might take a look at that tomorrow.
The Following User Says Thank You to irony_delerium For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift irony_delerium Ad-Free
20th January 2013, 10:12 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
works perfektly !
The Following User Says Thank You to save_jeff For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift save_jeff Ad-Free
20th January 2013, 01:39 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thank you very much, this is working perfectly on my Surface!
20th January 2013, 07:23 PM |#9  
Flag Nashville, TN
Thanks Meter: 246

More
Anyone come across any usb audio interface that works with Surface?

Also... I get this error when trying to run Audacity.

20th January 2013, 07:28 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas.scott

Anyone come across any usb audio interface that works with Surface?

The Sound Blaster X-Fi seems to work.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sebasssss For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Sebasssss Ad-Free
20th January 2013, 07:46 PM |#11  
Flag Nashville, TN
Thanks Meter: 246

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebasssss

The Sound Blaster X-Fi seems to work.

Isnt that PCI not USB?

Edit:

Nevermind, I see there are several. Id be looking for one with XLR jacks.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)