FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Ultimate Pantech Discover/Magnus/P9090 Rooting & Modding Thread

504 posts
Thanks Meter: 126

Post Reply Email Thread
AT&T Pantech Discover / Pantech Magnus / Pantech P9090

This thread will contain all info, resources, and tutorials about hacking and modifying your Pantech Discover. As our device shares much of its hardware with the One XL & Galaxy S III, I was able to port some things to our device. Not much, but some.

Useful Links

Pantech Discover ICS Kernel Source

Rooting Your Device

This method is very manual and very messy, hopefully I'll discover an easier method but for now this is the only way to do it.

1. Download the HTC One X ClockworkMod Recovery img.

2. Download the Superuser apk and the su binary, and copy them both to your sdcard (internal sd).

2. Turn off your phone. Hold down both volume buttons while pressing the power button to turn it on again. You'll get to a screen where you can use the volume keys to select fastboot mode, and press power to select it.

3. Once in fastboot mode, plug your device into your computer, and ensure that fastboot detects it.

4. Run the command "fastboot boot recovery-evita.img" to boot into the recovery.

5. Your device will stay at a blank screen, leave it plugged into your computer and wait about a minute for the computer to detect an "HTC device" in ADB recovery mode.

6. Type "adb shell", you should be presented with the # symbol, indicating that you have root access.

7. Run these commands to mount your partitions and copy the root files to your /system partition.

Code:
mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p14 /system
mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /data
mount /data/media /sdcard
cd /sdcard
cp Superuser.apk /system/app/
cp su /system/xbin/
chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
8. At this point, you can exit the adb shell and type 'adb reboot' to boot back into your ROM. You should see the Superuser app in your app drawer, open it to confirm you have root!

----------------------------------------

Partition Info/Dump, Custom Recovery Progress

The Pantech Discover has a total of 26 partitions in /dev/block, and they are as follows.

Code:
Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name        Flags
 1      524kB   67.6MB  67.1MB  fat16        modem
 2      67.6MB  69.2MB  1573kB               sbl1
 3      69.2MB  70.8MB  1573kB               sbl2
 4      70.8MB  72.4MB  1573kB               sbl3
 5      72.4MB  75.0MB  2621kB               aboot
 6      75.0MB  76.5MB  1573kB               rpm
 7      77.1MB  86.5MB  9437kB               boot
 8      86.5MB  88.1MB  1573kB               tz
 9      88.1MB  88.6MB  524kB                pad
10      88.6MB  92.8MB  4194kB               rawdata
11      92.8MB  95.9MB  3146kB               modemst1
12      95.9MB  99.1MB  3146kB               modemst2
13      99.1MB  309MB   210MB   ext4         preload
14      309MB   1568MB  1258MB  ext4         system
15      1568MB  1569MB  1049kB               dummy
16      1569MB  1578MB  8389kB  ext4         persist
17      1578MB  1919MB  341MB   ext4         cache
18      1919MB  2187MB  268MB                tombstones
19      2187MB  2188MB  1049kB               misc
20      2189MB  2199MB  10.5MB               recovery
21      2200MB  2203MB  3146kB               fsg
22      2203MB  2204MB  524kB                ssd
23      2204MB  2225MB  21.0MB  fat16        log
24      2225MB  2277MB  52.4MB               fota
25      2278MB  15.6GB  13.4GB  ext4         userdata
26      15.6GB  15.6GB  5226kB               grow
Here is a link to a folder containing all of the partitions (excluding /data, obviously) to download. http://ul.to/f/hms3tr

Despite my best efforts, I've been unable to get CWM recovery running on this phone. I've dumped the recovery and built a CWM recovery image from the CM9 source, but the recovery.img that is produced does not boot properly. I've tried tons of different CWM recoveries for tons of different devices, and the only one that was successful was the evita CWM recovery.

Since there is no bootloader unlock for this phone, fastboot can't flash any partitions. I've attempted to dd multiple different recovery images to the recovery partition, but after a reboot the dd doesn't stick and the device boots into its original recovery. Maybe there needs to be something changed in the boot.img as well?

My custom ROM

Due to my inability to get CWM running in any form, CM9/10 is impossible so far. So, I've done the next best thing and manually decompiled and modded the stock ROM's framework/SystemUI. I gave the system an AOSP look with resources from the MattedBlues AOSP theme. As there is no way to provide a flashable zip with either my modded ROM or an installer for my theme, the best I can do is provide my system.img that you can download and dd to your system partition (dd if=systemTheme.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p14). So, here's my themed system.img.

Screenshots

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ShotSkydiver For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ShotSkydiver Ad-Free

18th January 2013, 09:30 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tempe

Donate to Me
More
See OP
20th January 2013, 06:55 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tempe

Donate to Me
More
See OP
21st January 2013, 01:24 AM |#4  
Flag Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Thanks Meter: 1

More
keep up the good work
I just got the Pantech Discover and I love it! I might wait a little while longer until I root it, but I will continue to read your posts. Thanks for taking this project on.
21st January 2013, 07:56 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tempe

Donate to Me
More
See OP
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShotSkydiver For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ShotSkydiver Ad-Free
21st January 2013, 08:48 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tempe

Donate to Me
More
Okay, here is the link to a folder containing all partitions in /dev/block, and a .rar of my themed ROM you see in the screenshots here (systemTheme.img.rar). http://ul.to/folder/hms3tr
The Following User Says Thank You to ShotSkydiver For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ShotSkydiver Ad-Free
21st January 2013, 03:38 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

Donate to Me
More
It looks amazing! Keep up the awesome work!
22nd January 2013, 12:51 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tempe

Donate to Me
More
First post updated, consolidated, and rewritten!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShotSkydiver For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ShotSkydiver Ad-Free
23rd January 2013, 09:47 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
so i just switched to android from iphone. jailbreaking is what im used to.

sorry for being a noob or whatever.

i followed these directions. i get to where my phone goes black and then nothing. adb doesn't see any htc device. i like this phone. i want to unleash it unto the world... but alas im stuck at black.

any help would be fantastic.

thanks
23rd January 2013, 11:30 PM |#10  
Flag Cedar Rapids
Thanks Meter: 72

Donate to Me
More
Re: Ultimate Pantech Discover/Magnus/P9090 Rooting & Modding Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnmlls

i followed these directions. i get to where my phone goes black and then nothing. adb doesn't see any htc device. i like this phone. i want to unleash it unto the world... but alas im stuck at black.

thanks

Download pdanet for drivers probably. This link might help http://www.topnotchtablets.com/installADBdriver

Sent from my PantechP9070
The Following User Says Thank You to mikey199 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikey199 Ad-Free
25th January 2013, 05:54 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tempe

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnmlls

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey199

Download pdanet for drivers probably. This link might help http://www.topnotchtablets.com/installADBdriver

Sent from my PantechP9070

Install the Universal Naked Driver. Right click the .inf's in the folder, and click install. Then try it, and be sure to wait a minute or two. Check Device Manager once you hear the Windows "device plugged in" sound.
The Following User Says Thank You to ShotSkydiver For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ShotSkydiver Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
p9090

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)