***Emergency Thread*** Here To Help!

Search This thread

iamikon

May 17, 2012
Also for fastboot recovery the nexus 10 has to be at the boot loader? I think :)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

roperp

Apr 3, 2012
I seem to have figured it out, but it was more complicated for me than I've read so far in this thread. I got to the point if pushing files onto my N10 during recovery, but--and I don't have good information here or knowledge to speak about it--there seemed to be some issues surrounding /data being mounted or not during the push, needing to be unmounted or otherwise when trying to then flash in recovery, and many times I found that the files I had pushed were no longer there if I rebooted recovery. Also, correct me if I've misunderstood, but because the N10 doesn't have any physical external storage, the filesystem with most ROMs, especially the stock ROM, creates symbolic links of /sdcard and maybe others.

All told, I ended up using the Google stock images, which completely wipe the device and recovery partitions, downloaded the ROM files I wanted, flashed a recovery, booted into recovery before the Google stock image could overwrite my recovery, and luckily found the custom ROM files I had downloaded. I wonder if my file system is a hack though because of that?

Also, it seems like the optimal way to go is through adb sideload (I don't have any external flash drives) but I thought that was reserved for apps and not complete roms.

Nexus 10 (16gb Wi-Fi)
CM10.1 20130313 Nightly
Stock Kernel (interactive/noop)

Munchic

Mar 16, 2013
Help please!!!

Sorry, I just registered, so I can't write this into development subject. I've flashed Franco Kernel (r8), wiped cache/dalvik and fixed permissions, it was working normally, then suddenly the nexus 10 turned off, and now it's bootlooping, there's a nexus logo, but it never boots up, what to do? I tried to return to stock kernel through nexus root toolkit, but doesn't help. :confused:

iamikon

May 17, 2012
I seem to have figured it out, but it was more complicated for me than I've read so far in this thread. I got to the point if pushing files onto my N10 during recovery, but--and I don't have good information here or knowledge to speak about it--there seemed to be some issues surrounding /data being mounted or not during the push, needing to be unmounted or otherwise when trying to then flash in recovery, and many times I found that the files I had pushed were no longer there if I rebooted recovery. Also, correct me if I've misunderstood, but because the N10 doesn't have any physical external storage, the filesystem with most ROMs, especially the stock ROM, creates symbolic links of /sdcard and maybe others.

All told, I ended up using the Google stock images, which completely wipe the device and recovery partitions, downloaded the ROM files I wanted, flashed a recovery, booted into recovery before the Google stock image could overwrite my recovery, and luckily found the custom ROM files I had downloaded. I wonder if my file system is a hack though because of that?

Also, it seems like the optimal way to go is through adb sideload (I don't have any external flash drives) but I thought that was reserved for apps and not complete roms.

Nexus 10 (16gb Wi-Fi)
CM10.1 20130313 Nightly
Stock Kernel (interactive/noop)

To "push" a recovery the n10 needs to be booted to the bootloader. Adb sideload works fine for all flashable zips I use it to flash my roms. To sideload you just need to make sure youre recovery is in sideload mode. On twrp I believe it is in advanced and cwm its just on the front menu. What kind of files are you trying to push? If by push you mean flash none of the files flashed that way go on your device (the zips) yes the storage is /sdcard and is symlinked to by roms to /data/sdcard or vice versa /data/sdcard symd to /sdcard can't remember off top

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This isnt an emergency. But pointless starting a new thread. Ive come from HTC so im new with the nexus series.

What would be the best way to:

Root, install CWM, install rom and kernel.

Ive seen a few different methods, but i just wondered whats the best most efficient way. Any opinions on a rom and kernel would be great to. Stable, smooth and customization aspects are the 3 main things, and wifi must work as i need it for work.

Before its attack the noob, im going out soon thats the only reason i have not researched properly.

thanks

Vizzy :)

I would advise not using a toolkit unless you really must (kinda see little need for them on a Nexus device, but that's just me), but here's a brief rundown of what I do:

- Get Android SDK (not the ADT Eclipse Bundle thing; can use this though but it's like a 20MB vs 400MB download)
    - Download USB Drivers and Platform Tools from SDK
    - Add platform-tools Folder to Windows PATH (so I can run fastboot and adb commands from anywhere)
    - Reboot N10 to Bootloader
    - Connect it to PC and install ADB Bootloader driver (downloaded from SDK)
    - Unlock Bootloader with fastboot oem unlock command
    - Flash TWRP with fastboot command (CWM I guess works too, but I prefer TWRP)
    - Reboot into Recovery
    - Wipe everything (might have to format Data at first if coming straight from bootloader unlock and reboot to wipe everything else)
    - Either transfer the custom ROM, Gapps, and (optional) Kernel zips to a flash drive and hook it to my N10, or adb push said zips to /sdcard
    - Flash zips
    - Wipe Cache/Dalvik from TWRP
    - Reboot and profit :)

- If your going to install a custom ROM, you don't need to have an already rooted device prior to doing so (you can go straight from pure Stock to Custom)
    - My preferred custom ROM is rasbeanjelly and my Kernel is franco.Kernel (rascarlo mentioned he might release an update later today for rasbeanjelly)
    - I hear AOKP (and AOKP-based ROM's) has a problem with the navbar in Portrait mode (as in, it doesn't show). Just something to take note of if you use apps that force Portrait (like Google Wallet or Ingress for example)
    This by far is the best method to unlocking and rooting it.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=34674424

Also AOKP is stable 4.2.1 with lots of customizable options. But CM10.1 is good as well... Less options to customize though.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2