223 posts
Thanks Meter: 34

By qs504792, Senior Member on 26th January 2013, 07:52 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
12th March 2013, 12:32 AM |#11  
Flag In the middle
Thanks Meter: 9

More
could you explain how you installed google maps (navigation)?

Tomorrow i'll buy it
12th March 2013, 07:01 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khael

Tomorrow i'll buy it

if you're getting it from Crutchfield, use this coupon: 3A788

you'll get $25 off
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danger355 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift danger355 Ad-Free
12th March 2013, 09:37 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Looks like someone got Torque running:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwXyrxHbuNs
12th March 2013, 09:59 PM |#14  
Flag Detroit, MI

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger355

if you're getting it from Crutchfield, use this coupon: 3A788

you'll get $25 off

Thanks! Your coupon made me jump in and make this purchase. I've been eyeballing this system for awhile!

Ordered mine today and will report back after I get this installed. Super excited to start developing for this. (maybe a custom rom)

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khael

could you explain how you installed google maps (navigation)?

Tomorrow i'll buy it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD4LSdZ3OBs
The Following User Says Thank You to 0space_monkey0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 0space_monkey0 Ad-Free
12th March 2013, 11:58 PM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Hi,

I also bought one and installed it in my car. At the moment the device works fine. But I also want to install the play store with a working google account to install my legaly bought license of Navigon. Did someone manage to get the PlayStore and a google account to work?

I'd also be interested in root, a custom rom and recovery mode. Are there any plans in this direction?

Regards

hootzter
13th March 2013, 02:17 PM |#16  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0space_monkey0

Thanks! Your coupon made me jump in and make this purchase. I've been eyeballing this system for awhile!

Ordered mine today and will report back after I get this installed. Super excited to start developing for this. (maybe a custom rom)

Welcome

Looks like you may have got the last one for now lol.

Mine should be delivered tomorrow (maybe today - fingers crossed). UNIKA interface is out for delivery now

I'm all in for helping out if you need testing. Not too good at coding yet.. still learning, but I'll help out where I can!
13th March 2013, 11:48 PM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Got my smart this weekend and have been tinkering all week long in my breaks at work. Replaced an an original Asteroid(now called Classic). I had no issues with the classic originally. Didn't like how it was limited to android 1.5, and the non-standard display and controls limited apps that would work. Eventually It developed issues related to heat. Could be 90 out, but my car sitting in the parking lot apparently got the inside of the dash too hot and the radio would over heat, POP all the speakers and lock up till it cooled down. After weeks of battling back and forth with support they shipped me a refurbished unit. Connected it, made sure it was all working and did not have the same issues (yet) and then pulled it out and put it on ebay. Using the cash I bought the smart and have not looked back.

Android 2.3, standard interface and touch controls. So far every app works. some things will causes app crashes, but very few and far between. Installed google framework, Maps/Nav (and used the make offline feature to get maps of pretty much all of LA county and the inland empire and everything in between offline). Pandora, SiriusXM, Spotify, Torque(tho i can't pair my ELM due to non 0000 pair code) and Trapster. Everything working great. Lets you set custom backgrounds and such just like standard android which is nice for a customization feature for a headunit.

Bluetooth has been working nicely to my SGS3 on sprint. Using wifi tether treve mod for internet connectivity.
14th March 2013, 12:10 AM |#18  

More
How about going from ODBii > Smart via USB cable instead of bluetooth?

Does Torque support USB?
14th March 2013, 12:11 AM |#19  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I found a hint on the parrot developer zone how to adb the parrot asteroid smart, if this is connected to your computer via usb. You need a login to the developer zone, so I post the plain text here. I hope there is someone, who can and will use this information for root, custom rom, add google account and all the other nice things .

################################################## ##############################################

Developing on an ASTEROID target
If you have an ASTEROID device, you can test and debug your application directly on it. It requires that your ASTEROID device is connected to your computer using a USB cable via the device micro USB port.

For Windows users:
To be recognized by your computer and by Eclipse IDE, you need to define your device as a Composite ADB Inerface:

Locate the Android SDK folder (we call it <android_sdk>)
Go to <android_sdk>/extras/google/usb_driver
Open "android_winusb.inf" file
Look for the list of predefined ADB interfaces blocks such as "Google NexusOne" and add the folowing block:
; ParrotASTEROID
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0451&PID_D102&MI_01
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0451&PID_D102
Simply restart your adb with the command "kill-server"
That's it !
If you are encountering issues while installing your device, you may refer to the following forum post

For Linux users:
Create a file in /etc/udev/rules.d named parrot.rules with this content:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="19cf", ATTR{idProduct}=="1000", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0451", ATTR{idProduct}=="d00e", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0451", ATTR{idProduct}=="cafe", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0451", ATTR{idProduct}=="d102", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0451", ATTR{idProduct}=="d100", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"
This file supports ASTEROID Smart, Tablet and Mini devices

It will permits to have you device accessible by adb (or flash) using the USB connector without running adb usb in root

It is not compatible with ADB over Ethernet.

So, if exist you must remove this line in init.parrot.sh "setprop service.adb.tcp.port 5555"

################################################## ################################################## ################
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hootzter For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hootzter Ad-Free
14th March 2013, 05:16 AM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hootzter

I found a hint on the parrot developer zone how to adb the parrot asteroid smart, if this is connected to your computer via usb. You need a login to the developer zone, so I post the plain text here. I hope there is someone, who can and will use this information for root, custom rom, add google account and all the other nice things .

################################################## ##############################################

Developing on an ASTEROID target
If you have an ASTEROID device, you can test and debug your application directly on it. It requires that your ASTEROID device is connected to your computer using a USB cable via the device micro USB port.

For Windows users:
To be recognized by your computer and by Eclipse IDE, you need to define your device as a Composite ADB Inerface:

Locate the Android SDK folder (we call it <android_sdk>)
Go to <android_sdk>/extras/google/usb_driver
Open "android_winusb.inf" file
Look for the list of predefined ADB interfaces blocks such as "Google NexusOne" and add the folowing block:
; ParrotASTEROID
Simply restart your adb with the command "kill-server"
That's it !
If you are encountering issues while installing your device, you may refer to the following forum post

For Linux users:
Create a file in /etc/udev/rules.d named parrot.rules with this content:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="19cf", ATTR{idProduct}=="1000", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0451", ATTR{idProduct}=="d00e", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0451", ATTR{idProduct}=="cafe", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0451", ATTR{idProduct}=="d102", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0451", ATTR{idProduct}=="d100", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"
This file supports ASTEROID Smart, Tablet and Mini devices

It will permits to have you device accessible by adb (or flash) using the USB connector without running adb usb in root

It is not compatible with ADB over Ethernet.

So, if exist you must remove this line in init.parrot.sh "setprop service.adb.tcp.port 5555"

################################################## ################################################## ################

I've already been into it with ADB. As far as I can tell there is no stock recovery. I've tried several attempts to root the thing, to no avail. Going to fire up Linux and see if I can make any headway.
14th March 2013, 09:21 AM |#21  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Dunno if any of you would happen to know, but:

I sent Parrot an email asking them that if I imported a US unit; and reflased the Australian update via their "software updates" page (link here), would it then work as intended in Australia? It looks like the files are effectively ROMs, so it should work correct? Does anyone know if there are hardware differences?

They gave me a very standard "buy local, we don't support importing" response:

Quote:

The Parrot ASTEROID range are country specific for tuner, navigation (AU maps), licensing, apps and software, so you will need to purchase an Australian product if you want to use it in Australia.

Further the product is sold in Australia to comply with Australian Consumer Law which doesn’t apply overseas.

Problem is, it's $400 more expensive here upside-down. Bloody ridiculous.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)