Thanks Meter: 34

By qs504792, Senior Member on 26th January 2013, 07:52 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th March 2013, 09:21 AM |#21  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Dunno if any of you would happen to know, but:

I sent Parrot an email asking them that if I imported a US unit; and reflased the Australian update via their "software updates" page (link here), would it then work as intended in Australia? It looks like the files are effectively ROMs, so it should work correct? Does anyone know if there are hardware differences?

They gave me a very standard "buy local, we don't support importing" response:

Quote:

The Parrot ASTEROID range are country specific for tuner, navigation (AU maps), licensing, apps and software, so you will need to purchase an Australian product if you want to use it in Australia.

Further the product is sold in Australia to comply with Australian Consumer Law which doesn’t apply overseas.

Problem is, it's $400 more expensive here upside-down. Bloody ridiculous.
14th March 2013, 10:25 AM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Is Parrot Asteroid Smart compatible with Nexus 4?
How I can install Google Navigation?
How I can install other launcher?
Is possible sync it with Google Account?
Can I download music from Google Music to SD?

Thanks!
14th March 2013, 11:20 PM |#23  
Flag Detroit, MI
Thanks Meter: 19

Donate to Me
More
Wink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keruh

Is Parrot Asteroid Smart compatible with Nexus 4?
How I can install Google Navigation?
How I can install other launcher?
Is possible sync it with Google Account?
Can I download music from Google Music to SD?

Thanks!

Put the APK on a SD card and install it from that....

And yes you can, the SD card works like any sd card in any other android phone....

-----

got mine in the mail today and opened it up... what a sexy beast! After i get back from cali next week, ill open this up and take a looksee.
15th March 2013, 12:07 AM |#24  

More
Got mine today too!

Installing mine Saturday, so for now I'm just staying content pre-wiring my leads.
15th March 2013, 11:28 AM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Has anyone managed to get the playStore running?

I tried it installing the google service framework for Android 2.3.7 and several versions of the playStore (including old Android Markets). Everytime I try to open the playStore, there is a message telling me "Google Play Store (com.android.vending) was stopped suddenly. Try again. Force close".

Has anyone an idea, how to solve this?

Regards

hootzter
15th March 2013, 11:21 PM |#26  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Anyone figure out where a USB drive mounts? I can't find it anywhere using file manager. I assume i should be able to access it if the music app can. Their built in apps can't see it, but the music can, that the odd part. Using a 500gb drive in my center console to keep all my music on.
18th March 2013, 05:08 AM |#27  
Flag Freehold, NJ
Thanks Meter: 1,252

Donate to Me
More
Mine will be arriving Tuesday. I'm expecting root fairly easily and then take it from there. Just give it some time and everything will be figured out.
18th March 2013, 11:55 PM |#28  
Flag Puyallup, WA
Thanks Meter: 132

Donate to Me
More
I hope someone finds a way to pair with Bluetooth ODBII apps to get Torque running soon! The problem appears to be the Asteroid expects the device to enter a passcode, which it can't, instead of having the Asteroid enter a passcode.
19th March 2013, 03:54 AM |#29  
Flag Melbourne, AU
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Does this completely power off when the car is off? How long does it take to boot when powering the car on?

If it stays powered on, then can you have it sync over your home wifi network for podcasts and music etc?

edit: Also What iGO maps are supplied with the unit? Thinking of Ordering from Amazon to Australia, but don't want to be stuck with US Maps, Does it give option to download other maps IE? AU?
19th March 2013, 02:53 PM |#30  

More
Well, got mine last Thursday and installed most of it over the weekend. The only thing I have left to do is get my steering wheel controls working, and find the reverse gear and parking brake.

First impressions: I love most of it. The unit itself is extremely clean with only one physical button (power). Just like an Android should be.

UI is a little... 'fat' for lack of a better word - the icons are huge but I think that's actually a good thing for a car unit. I'll live with it for a while to see if I can get used to it before I side-load a homescreen replacement (which is easy by the way, thankfully. I couldn't stand that iGo app).

A couple things I'd like to see changed are automatically starting the radio from the same source that was on when you turn the car off. It's only two 'clicks' to get it running again, but it's a little tedious.

Speaking of the radio, I'm going to try and find where the 'Favorites' names are stored. Seems like the names are pulled from a random (or first?) RDS signal the Smart gets from any given station. This gives me pretty unusable names like "now on" and "Radio" for some of my stations.

Also, that damn blinking GPS light! I wonder if we can get into it somehow and slow that blinking down??

I'll take some pics this weekend and post them up before I get back to wiring the rest up.
20th March 2013, 02:50 PM |#31  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzortst

Does this completely power off when the car is off? How long does it take to boot when powering the car on?

If it stays powered on, then can you have it sync over your home wifi network for podcasts and music etc?

edit: Also What iGO maps are supplied with the unit? Thinking of Ordering from Amazon to Australia, but don't want to be stuck with US Maps, Does it give option to download other maps IE? AU?

From the Smart Forum on parot.com:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Advisor UK

Turn off the car:

Screen, front panel lights and powered accessories (iPod, GPS, USB, etc.) shut down. Unit goes into Sleep Mode.

Sleep mode:

If car is turned back on, unit quickly boots
If car is not turned back within 10 minutes, unit goes into deep sleep and vibration mode.

Vibration mode:

If a vibration is detected, unit gets ready to boot and waits for a car ignition for 1 min.
After a full minute, if the cars ignition is not turned back on, unit goes back to vibration mode

Are you hooked on using iGo maps? Loading Google Maps/Navigation is simple, and works anywhere (as far as I know).
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)