FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[HOW TO]Fix Wi-Fi MAC address changing when flashing custom ROMs

790 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,120

By TiMiN8R, Senior Member on 28th January 2013, 12:19 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I've seen some people reporting problems with their Wi-Fi MAC address changing after flashing a custom ROM (e.g. one of mine).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacer20

I have some questions about, when I flash your 223 rom, my phone's mac address change, is that correct or at least normal?. Finally, can I recover my original mac address?

Now there aren't many cases where this will cause problems, only if your network has MAC address filtering or if we would all be on the same network with our T's but I decided I wanted to fix it any way.
I got on the right track when I read norti's remark in a thread I happened to stumble upon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norti

This looks good for the Xperia T too, but what mac address do you have now? I have 30:39:26:9f:ed:2e (and others who use cooked roms have the same) but the original mac address of the phone is in /data/etc/wlan_macaddr0 (assuming you flashed the userdata.sin from the ftf file before). How can we revert it back to the original?

Looking through the files in my build directory and comparing them to the stock ftf I noticed some dead symlinks in /system/etc/firmware/wlan pointing to the aforementioned /data/etc/wlan_macaddr(0/1/2/3). All that was needed was to delete those files and create the proper symlinks.
I made a small CWM-flashable zip for this.

ROM chefs could put these lines in their updater-script. While we're symlinking, there's no need to copy /system/lib/modules/prima/prima_wlan.ko to /system/lib/modules/wlan.ko if you use these lines.

Code:
symlink("/system/lib/modules/prima/prima_wlan.ko", "/system/lib/modules/wlan.ko");
symlink("/data/etc/wlan_macaddr0", "/system/etc/firmware/wlan/macaddr0");
symlink("/data/etc/wlan_macaddr1", "/system/etc/firmware/wlan/macaddr1");
symlink("/data/etc/wlan_macaddr2", "/system/etc/firmware/wlan/macaddr2");
symlink("/data/etc/wlan_macaddr3", "/system/etc/firmware/wlan/macaddr3");
wifi_mac_fix.zip
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to TiMiN8R For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TiMiN8R Ad-Free
2nd April 2013, 09:32 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
So if my MAC changed and I'm being filtered out from my office's WiFi all I need to do is flash your .zip? (I'm on a x86 device if that makes any difference)

EDIT - Tried flashing and It aborted the installation, so I guess this is device-specific.
2nd April 2013, 09:37 PM |#3  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Probably marking work or drinking beer...Maybe both
Thanks Meter: 6,632

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie.igg

So if my MAC changed and I'm being filtered out from my office's WiFi all I need to do is flash your .zip? (I'm on a x86 device if that makes any difference)

Or do what i did and sent an email to my IT department with my new mac address and they could add it to the network
The Following User Says Thank You to gregbradley For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gregbradley Ad-Free
2nd April 2013, 10:45 PM |#4  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie.igg

EDIT - Tried flashing and It aborted the installation, so I guess this is device-specific.

Yes, this fix is specific to the Xperia T. You might be facing a similar problem that can be fixed with a similar solution but you'd have to take that up with the maker of your ROM.

Or do what gregbradley said, not the best solution in my opinion but probably the quickest. Unless there are more of the same devices with the same problem, i.e. same Mac, it shouldn't be a problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to TiMiN8R For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TiMiN8R Ad-Free
3rd April 2013, 05:05 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 131

More
thanx Tim for this tip
The Following User Says Thank You to asterix005 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift asterix005 Ad-Free
16th April 2013, 05:54 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Missing MAC
I just flashed XT 2.5 on my recently rooted, locked bootloader, XPTL (AT&T). I have not yet flashed the .140 kernel. I've got a request in to crazymister to build a flashable version of that kernel for my TL.

I am missing my wifi MAC address and this fix did not work. I cannot get wifi turned on. What would you suggest?

I will be trying a few things, like a downgrade of your ROM, and if I find a fix that sticks, I'll let you know.

Thanks
16th April 2013, 07:59 AM |#7  
This fix has been integrated in my roms ever since I found it so flashing this won't make any difference. You seem to have a different problem.
There's no .140 for TL yet is there? You should be fine using the LT30p kernel. Try flashing the baseband from the last official TL JB firmware.
In FlashTool, just exclude everything except baseband.
The Following User Says Thank You to TiMiN8R For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TiMiN8R Ad-Free
16th April 2013, 06:41 PM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMiN8R

This fix has been integrated in my roms ever since I found it so flashing this won't make any difference. You seem to have a different problem.
There's no .140 for TL yet is there? You should be fine using the LT30p kernel. Try flashing the baseband from the last official TL JB firmware.
In FlashTool, just exclude everything except baseband.

I went ahead and downgraded back to stock 9.1.F.1.120 to avoid the high data usage. I'll try your suggestion later today. Thanks
16th April 2013, 08:21 PM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMac999

I went ahead and downgraded back to stock 9.1.F.1.120 to avoid the high data usage. I'll try your suggestion later today. Thanks

UPDATE: Crazymister made a TL kernel for me, based on my original ftf .sin file (from 9.1.F.1.120), but after flashing your ROM, it didn't like the model embedded in the kernel. I went ahead and flashed .140 for the LT30p (as your ROM makes this phone look like that variation) and the kernel flashed properly, I still have root and wifi works! On to set-up! Thanks again!!
17th April 2013, 04:40 AM |#10  
Flag East Texas
Thanks Meter: 97

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMac999

UPDATE: Crazymister made a TL kernel for me, based on my original ftf .sin file (from 9.1.F.1.120), but after flashing your ROM, it didn't like the model embedded in the kernel. I went ahead and flashed .140 for the LT30p (as your ROM makes this phone look like that variation) and the kernel flashed properly, I still have root and wifi works! On to set-up! Thanks again!!

Anyway you could get me that kernel? I have a TL with same firmware on xperiment 2.5. With there being very few TLs, I want to see what's possible with this kernel...being locked on this bootloader sucks. Makes me miss my x10 :-/

Sent from my LT30at using xda premium
17th April 2013, 07:24 AM |#11  
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonchance_84

Anyway you could get me that kernel? I have a TL with same firmware on xperiment 2.5. With there being very few TLs, I want to see what's possible with this kernel...being locked on this bootloader sucks. Makes me miss my x10 :-/

Sent from my LT30at using xda premium

You can get the kernel in [URL http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2231741]crazymister's thread [/URL].
Now enough with the OT already.

Sent from my LT30p using xda app-developers app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)