[Q] (Q) Disable Volume Keys? Samsung Galaxy S3

8 posts
Thanks Meter: 4

By hutru01, Junior Member on 30th January 2013, 08:45 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Can anyone point me in the right direction of disabling the volume keys? I am rooted and running CM10 / Nova Launcher.

Currently I used Volume Control Pro+ to keep my volume in check, but I was using AudioManager Pro and it started to give me problems with the volume not staying locked properly. Ultimately, what would solve my issue is disable the volume keys altogether. I realize that this could lead to potential problems should I need to go back to stock at any point, but I would undo this feature if I need to revert back to stock.

Any pointers here?
30th January 2013, 09:53 PM |#2  
OP Junior Member
Flag Roanoke, VA

More
Found solution on my own
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutru01

Can anyone point me in the right direction of disabling the volume keys? I am rooted and running CM10 / Nova Launcher.

Currently I used Volume Control Pro+ to keep my volume in check, but I was using AudioManager Pro and it started to give me problems with the volume not staying locked properly. Ultimately, what would solve my issue is disable the volume keys altogether. I realize that this could lead to potential problems should I need to go back to stock at any point, but I would undo this feature if I need to revert back to stock.

Any pointers here?

I figured it out searching around some different forums. Using a RB Text Editor, you can insert a # or // before the volume key lines in both sec_key.kl and sec_keys.kl which is under /system/usr/keylayout/
The Following User Says Thank You to hutru01 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hutru01 Ad-Free
30th January 2013, 11:28 PM |#3  
Flag ~/android
Thanks Meter: 14,059

Donate to Me
More
Re: [Q] (Q) Disable Volume Keys? Samsung Galaxy S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutru01

I figured it out searching around some different forums. Using a RB Text Editor, you can insert a # or // before the volume key lines in both sec_key.kl and sec_keys.kl which is under /system/usr/keylayout/

Put "SOLVED" in the thread title please

Sent from my PG06100
5th February 2013, 02:04 PM |#4  

More
I Want to try this but have one question first , won't this prevent you from going into download/recovery mode if for some reason something goes wrong and you need too?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app
5th February 2013, 02:47 PM |#5  
Flag ~/android

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkunk79

I Want to try this but have one question first , won't this prevent you from going into download/recovery mode if for some reason something goes wrong and you need too?

Nope, hes not completely turning off its functionality...hes only turning it off while his phone is booted up into the Android OS

And even if it does you could always go into a terminal and do
Code:
reboot download
Or
Code:
reboot recovery
Sent from my PG06100
5th February 2013, 10:38 PM |#6  

More
So I worked on this for a few hours today and this worked for me. Put together a flash able zip file disabling the codes in the sys/use/key layout files.

Keys off
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?41gnxl4ot5vq8yh

Keys back on

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?md99ii9a4bsqiwd

This worked for me. Galaxy s3 on cm 10.1
2nd August 2013, 10:23 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I know nothing about modifying mobile systems, but I would really like disabling these volume control buttons on my samsung galaxy nexus. Therefore I want to ask you - are these files different of various phones, or are they all the same ? Will it work for my nexus with 4.3 android ?
Thanks in advance!
2nd August 2013, 02:20 PM |#8  
Flag ~/android

Donate to Me
More
No, the keys have different codes/mappings
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
question

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)