FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM][CWM Recovery] Cowon D3 DFKT

337 posts
Thanks Meter: 234

By dfkt_, Senior Member on 6th February 2013, 03:11 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm probably the only person on this planet who still owns a Cowon D3, and I don't expect this thread to get much traffic... but since I already did the work, why not make it public?

Changelog

2013-12-15
  • added signed ADB driver for Windows x86/x64 (tested on Win 8 Pro x64)

2013-02-05
  • zipaligned a few stray APKs

2013-02-02
  • root (Superuser)
  • adb root (ro.secure=0 in default.prop, adb remount possible)
  • CIFS/SMB support (load /system/lib/modules/slow-work.ko before /system/lib/modules/cifs.ko for it to work) - pilfered from MalaRom - thanks Mala!
  • added /system/bin/flash_image (for flashing recovery.img etc. via adb shell or terminal emulator)
  • some build.prop tweaks (boot animation disabled, so don't freak out when the screen stays blank for a while)
  • Cowon bloatware removed (Kakaotalk, JetVD, Twitter, about a dozen ugly clock widgets, etc.)
  • Google Play Store included
  • Titanium Backup (free version) included
  • new default wallpaper in framework-res.apk

Installation

Unpack the update.zip from the Cowon_D3_v3.55-xxxxxxxx-DFKT.zip and put it on /sdcard/ or /sdcard/tflash. Flash the update.zip in stock recovery (hold play button while powering on, then at the triangle screen press the home soft button). If you came from stock v3.55 you don't have to wipe anything - at least I didn't, and my D3 runs fine.

After you installed the custom ROM you can install CWM Recovery via flash_image, either in adb shell or in a terminal emulator. Unpack the recovery.img from Cowon_D3_CWM_Recovery_x.x.x.x_flash_image-DFKT.zip and put it on the /sdcard/. Flash it in adb shell with adb shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img or in terminal emulator with su, then flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img.

CWM Recovery can't deal with the NTFS-formatted internal storage, so all the backups go to the external SD card, on /sdcard/tflash. Same goes for flashing update.zips with CWM - you have to put them on /sdcard/tflash for CWM to find them.

I built this CWM Recovery from the Cyanogenmod ICS branch, so it's not the very newest version, but it's good enough.

If for some reason you want to go back to stock recovery, I prepared a recovery.img for that case too - flash it the same way as CWM Recovery.

Downloads

Cowon_D3_v3.55-20130205-DFKT.zip (64.1 MB)
Cowon_D3_CWM_Recovery_6.0.1.2_flash_image-DFKT.zip (4.45 MB)
Cowon_D3_Stock_Recovery_v3.55_flash_image-DFKT.zip (3.08 MB)
Cowon_D3_ADB_x86_x64-signed-DFKT-v2.zip (8.25MB)
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dfkt_ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dfkt_ Ad-Free

6th February 2013, 03:18 PM |#2  
Flag Кикинда
Thanks Meter: 38

Donate to Me
More
I don't own this device, but looking at your review I just had to say: This is, by far, the best, review, EVER. Of anything. Kudos.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift marxo Ad-Free
20th February 2013, 01:55 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Vienna

More
Amazingly, already six downloads so far - no comments?
The Following User Says Thank You to dfkt_ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dfkt_ Ad-Free
14th December 2013, 11:50 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thumbs up Works!
Just wanted to say thanks for making this public. You're *not* the only one who still owns the D3!

I've just bought replacement batteries for both mine and my wife's D3 to give them a new lease of life, so thought I'd see if I could get root and tweak the firmware to my liking. Lo and behold, you've done it already.
15th December 2013, 10:04 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Vienna

More
Hah! Glad to see this is still useful.

I forgot I made a 64bit ADB driver for the D3 some time ago. It's signed and should give no trouble installing on Windows 8/8.1. I added it to the first post.

(I also tried porting CM7/9 to the D3, but with all the proprietary stuff and no useful Cowon/Telechips sources available, this is unfortunately way over my head...)
21st February 2014, 01:24 PM |#6  

More
Thumbs up
Hey, thanks for this upload,

i am quite a beginner with flashing android devices and i missed this for the cowon d3,

i will try this as the device could be improved a lot i guess, since even on 256 mb of RAM an android system can run fast, when i think of the first phones like the g1 in 2007

cowon just stopped the improvements too early, as this device (especially its dac) has great possibilitys...i even hope the community can solve the problem of the contrast in video, where you get the lcd-like impession instead of the possible full black of amoled...

Thanks a lot!

Tutanchamun, regards from germany
14th July 2018, 09:43 PM |#7  

More
You Rock my hat's of to you!
NO!
You are NOT the only one with one of these Cowon Plenue D3 units. My unit has been very reliable over the years and the quality of music is superb! Then about 6 months ago it totally 'crapped' out on me. I contacted (tried in vain) JetAudio for repair. After not hearing anything from them I received an email out of the blue 3 months ago requesting a copy of my sales receipt (which I filed away carefully). I emailed them the receipt and a month ago I got a reply. I would have to send the unit to them and they would send it to South Korea for repair, 3 to 4 months. To make the story short I came upon this article you wrote and followed the steps you posted. Lo and behold my 9 year Cowon Plenue came back to life. I cannot thank you enough for the detailed procedures you posted. I am a bit surprised at 'Cowon' for having such a terrible customer service department.
Many thanks from an audiophile
theHoffia
26th January 2019, 04:07 AM |#8  

More
Thank you very much.
This helped me recover from installing 'D3 PRO' (terrible launcher) on my D3.
I'm very happy to be back at 3.55
ps: I also installed Rockbox Android 480x800.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)