Surface Pro 128 - Double Storage?

Search This thread
So, I am just messing with my Pro and thought it would be a fun to play with a theory.

There is already a Surface RT teardown out there, was wondering how long a Surface Pro one would take.

I am not brave enough to attempt a teardown without looking at directions or something.

What I would LOVE to know is, would it be possible to swap out the mSATA drive in there with a larger one?

Like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148613

Thoughts?

I don't know how the Secure Boot would handle that or any other internal system config checker or whatever.

Hrm...

So, I am just messing with my Pro and thought it would be a fun to play with a theory.

I don't know how the Secure Boot would handle that or any other internal system config checker or whatever.

Hrm...
I have read that you can install other OS onto the Surface Pro, because SecureBoot can be disabled on the Surface Pro. With that I believe it should be possible to upgrade the hard drive to a higher capacity without a problem.

Last edited:

lsquare

Aug 30, 2010

There is already a Surface RT teardown out there, was wondering how long a Surface Pro one would take.

I am not brave enough to attempt a teardown without looking at directions or something.

What I would LOVE to know is, would it be possible to swap out the mSATA drive in there with a larger one?

Like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148613

Thoughts?

Hrm...

Where did you read that the SSD is replaceable? I thought everythingw as soldered on to the motherboard? If it is replaceable, I'd buy the 64GB model and then replace it with the Intel 520 series SSD.

Where did you read that the SSD is replaceable? I thought everythingw as soldered on to the motherboard? If it is replaceable, I'd buy the 64GB model and then replace it with the Intel 520 series SSD.

I didn't state is was replaceable, I asked if anyone knew and if so, thoughts on upgrades. Until there is a teardown of the Pro, I don't know for sure.

:)

seesunmoon

Dec 15, 2008
if there is a button like you said, i died since the first day of internet
i always ask stupid questions^_^

Trig0r

Jun 19, 2007
People will always try to run different OS'es on machines, its the way of the geek..

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
Looks like it is a regular mSATA drive so could be replaced (end of the day the tablet functions as a regular x86 based computer). However the ifixit teardown shows that chances are you will break something just getting to it and even then it will never go back together as part of the tablet is glued together rather than screwed or clipped. Inside the tablet is screw city.

Trig0r

Jun 19, 2007
Yeah the teardown makes it look pretty unlikely anyone would want to trash a device that expensive...

Top Liked Posts