FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[UPDATED Feb14][How-To] Root AML8726-MX Generic Devices

601 posts
Thanks Meter: 335

By JBolho, Senior Member on 13th February 2013, 11:44 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
This is a (very) small how-to regarding Root on Generic (unbranded, mostly called "MID") Android Tablets with aml8726-mx platform.

This file was made originally for Ainol Novo 7 Crystal tablet, but it works (or should work) on all devices based on the following platform:

AML8726-MX System-On-Chip, AMLogic Meson6 gXX costumer platform
Cortex A9 Dual-Core CPU @ 1.5Ghz
1Gb Ram
Dual-Core Mali400 GPU
Android ICS 4.0.4 or JB 4.1.1

Other exploits have been tried, like Bin4ary's method, Doomlord's method, SRS Root, One Click Root, but all of them can't seem to work (for now) for these devices when Android ICS 4.0.4 or Jelly Bean 4.1.1 is present. So, if you own one of these devices, use this file to gain Root access.

1 - Put the zip file on the root of your SD card
2 - Reboot to recovery (with the device off, press the Vol - and Power button together until it enters recovery)
3 - Select (using Vol keys) "apply update from EXT"
4 - Select the file and run it pressing the Power button
5 - Reboot your device

You should see before Android finishes loading a small notification saying "Android is updating", and after it finishes loading, if you go to the App drawer, you should see SuperSU installed.

UPDATE:

It seems that some of these devices that come with newer versions of Android have EXT4 FS instead of UBIFS.
XDA Member Lannig has managed to edit the META-INF file of the "Crystal-Root.zip", re-compress it and re-sign it.
With his permission, and by suggestion of XDA Member AbliB, i'm posting Lannig's root file here in the OP, so that users with these AmLogic devices with EXT4 File System can have root.

Credits for the original root file (Crystal-Root.zip) go to Soulflier @ Slatedroid.com

Credits for the alternative root file go to Lannig @ XDA
Attached Files
File Type: zip Crystal_Root.zip - [Click for QR Code] (576.9 KB, 35428 views)
File Type: zip utoo-root-signed.zip - [Click for QR Code] (576.9 KB, 25339 views)
The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to JBolho For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JBolho Ad-Free

23rd February 2013, 03:22 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBolho

This is a (very) small how-to regarding Root on Generic (unbranded, mostly called "MID") Android Tablets with aml8726-mx platform.

This file was made originally for Ainol Novo 7 Crystal tablet, but it works (or should work) on all devices based on the following platform:

1Gb Ram
Dual-Core Mali400 GPU

Other exploits have been tried, like Bin4ary's method, Doomlord's method, SRS Root, One Click Root, but all of them can't seem to work (for now) for these devices when Android ICS 4.0.4 or Jelly Bean 4.1.1 is present. So, if you own one of these devices, use this file to gain Root access.

2 - Reboot to recovery (with the device off, press the Vol - and Power button together until it enters recovery)
5 - Reboot your device

You should see before Android finishes loading a small notification saying "Android is updating", and after it finishes loading, if you go to the App drawer, you should see SuperSU installed.

Full credits for the file go to Soulflier @ Slatedroid.com

Thanks !!!!
This works for my Viewsonic VB100a pro using 4.1.1
24th February 2013, 03:34 PM |#3  

More
Unhappy
Quote:

1Gb Ram
Dual-Core Mali400 GPU

5 - Reboot your device

Full credits for the file go to Soulflier @ Slatedroid.com

-------------------------------------
Need your help, i have use your root and it works find, but not sure what i did, after it reboot, the system hang and the screen gets lock up. I have use the factory default but still not working. Not sure if you have any way that can help me to see what happen.
the volume button still works. i.e. press up and down i can still hear the tone.

I must emphasize, i am not blaming your root program, as it was working fine
I am only seeking your help as i believe you may have some clue on how to troubleshoot. Thanks in advance.
5th March 2013, 12:18 PM |#4  
Flag Makati
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thanks.,this worked with my coby kyros mid1060.,please tell me how to make system dump?.,then CWM?.,
6th March 2013, 03:30 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Porto

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thye666

-------------------------------------
Need your help, i have use your root and it works find, but not sure what i did, after it reboot, the system hang and the screen gets lock up. I have use the factory default but still not working. Not sure if you have any way that can help me to see what happen.
the volume button still works. i.e. press up and down i can still hear the tone.

I must emphasize, i am not blaming your root program, as it was working fine
I am only seeking your help as i believe you may have some clue on how to troubleshoot. Thanks in advance.

What happened exactly? Did the device boot properly after root? Or did this happen afterwards? If it happened on the first boot after root, than maybe this method is not suitable for your device, i suggest making a full factory reset (wipe cache and media partitions if the recovery has that option) and then do a factory reset in the recovery.
6th March 2013, 03:33 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Porto

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennski_0104

Thanks.,this worked with my coby kyros mid1060.,please tell me how to make system dump?.,then CWM?.,

I'm trying to find out that myself, since my tablet is a generic unbranded device. For now i only have root installed and nothing else, only the standard recovery. Since your device is not as generic, try searching Slatedroid.com for enything related to it, they have a ton of topics on most low-cost tablets on the market, including Ainol's, Coby's, Zenithink's, etc.
6th March 2013, 04:38 PM |#7  

More
Quote:

What happened exactly? Did the device boot properly after root? Or did this happen afterwards? If it happened on the first boot after root, than maybe this method is not suitable for your device, i suggest making a full factory reset (wipe cache and media partitions if the recovery has that option) and then do a factory reset in the recovery.

It did root properly, the root works very well. its my own fault that after root, i download lots of apps and change the "boot animation" and also run fix permission using Clockwork and all hell broke loose after reboot. It was "bricked" as it even factory default also cannot work.

- Luckly i search the web for 3 days and finally able to find the original ROM + the tools from a Chinese website and able to use PC -USB - Tablet to reload everything using ImageBurnTool.exe.

Now my tablet is back to normal and with this ImageBurnTool, i have make it "brick" few time and still able to restore to factory default.
Actually i was thinking of sharing the ROM and the website here, but not sure how to do it.
It seems there is no Forum on Viewsonic VB100a pro, i wish to setup one to help other and share my experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to thye666 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift thye666 Ad-Free
8th March 2013, 09:42 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Question NEXT8D12F
I have tried this on my Nextbook NEXT8D12F which has AMLogic 8726-MX 1.5 Ghz and the ARM Mali TM-400 GPU but didn't have any luck.

I put the zip on the root of a formatted microSD and put it in the tablet whiles its off. Boot into recovery mode then it says:

E:Bad bootloader arguments
"(null)"
E:unknown volume for path [/udisk/factory_update_param.aml]
E:Can't mount /udisk/factory_update_param.aml

So I select the option 'apply update from sdcard' and select the Crystal_Root.zip and it starts doing something then says:

-- Install /sdcard ...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verification failes
Installation aborted.

Anyone know what's going on?

Cheers.
12th March 2013, 08:17 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Porto

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeedtodd

I have tried this on my Nextbook NEXT8D12F which has AMLogic 8726-MX 1.5 Ghz and the ARM Mali TM-400 GPU but didn't have any luck.

I put the zip on the root of a formatted microSD and put it in the tablet whiles its off. Boot into recovery mode then it says:

E:Bad bootloader arguments
"(null)"
E:unknown volume for path [/udisk/factory_update_param.aml]
E:Can't mount /udisk/factory_update_param.aml

So I select the option 'apply update from sdcard' and select the Crystal_Root.zip and it starts doing something then says:

-- Install /sdcard ...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verification failes
Installation aborted.

Anyone know what's going on?

Cheers.

Have you tried to re-download the file? What Android version do you have on your device? This is designed for ICS 4.0.4 or JB 4.1.1 and possibly 4.1.2. The error you're getting suggests that the file is corrupted but there is a chance of your device manufacturer has it's own Android customized version and some paths may be different from the generic Google version. (This happens with Huawei for example)
12th March 2013, 08:18 PM |#10  

More
ROM Android 4.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thye666

It did root properly, the root works very well. its my own fault that after root, i download lots of apps and change the "boot animation" and also run fix permission using Clockwork and all hell broke loose after reboot. It was "bricked" as it even factory default also cannot work.

- Luckly i search the web for 3 days and finally able to find the original ROM + the tools from a Chinese website and able to use PC -USB - Tablet to reload everything using ImageBurnTool.exe.

Now my tablet is back to normal and with this ImageBurnTool, i have make it "brick" few time and still able to restore to factory default.
Actually i was thinking of sharing the ROM and the website here, but not sure how to do it.
It seems there is no Forum on Viewsonic VB100a pro, i wish to setup one to help other and share my experience.

Could you pass me the link to download the rom of android 4.1 for tablet vb100a pro?
thank you very much
13th March 2013, 02:25 AM |#11  

More
Quote:

Have you tried to re-download the file? What Android version do you have on your device? This is designed for ICS 4.0.4 or JB 4.1.1 and possibly 4.1.2. The error you're getting suggests that the file is corrupted but there is a chance of your device manufacturer has it's own Android customized version and some paths may be different from the generic Google version. (This happens with Huawei for example)

I'll give it a re-download and try again later.
Yeah mine is 4.0.4 ICS.

Edit:
I re-downloaded and put the zip on a different microSD but same things agian.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
aml8726-mx, generic tablet, jelly bean 4.1.1, root
Previous Thread Next Thread