FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Frequently Asked Questions about the LG Optimus 4x HD

2,896 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,043

By laufersteppenwolf, Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Moderator on 14th February 2013, 01:14 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Frequently Asked Questions
about the LG Optimus 4x HD

As the Title says, this Thread is about Questions, being asked again and again...
These Questions can be about everything, Development, Device specific or what so ever.
If you have got a Question, feel free to post it here, especially if the Questions are short, to prevent discussions like the the init.d Thread.
If you post your Question here, i will most likely add it to the OP.

Now, let's get started:

Question 1) How can I root my Device?
The method that has worked for (as far as i know) everyone in this one. It is easy and (quite) safe and works for every known Firmware version, except the Brazilian and Canadian one. The Brazilian firmwares can be rooted using this method.

Update: For Jelly Bean there are 2 known ways: this one while you're on v20A and this one while upgrading from a rooted v10X to v20A

Question 2) How can I unlock my Bootloader?
The unlocking procedure is quite easy, so everyone should be able to do it (but that doesn't mean everyone should do it )
Be aware that unlocking the Bootloader will void your warranty.
Also important: not all Bootloaders are unlockable, but we don't know why yet. (Branded phones will (according to LG) not be unlockable tho)

We've got a tutorial here, explaining step by step how to unlock the Boorloader.

For german devices, we've got a special thread here and for 234 devices we've got one here.

Question 3) Is there any CWM or TWRP or any other recovery available?
Yes, they are.

v10x (aka ICS):
The 4x HD has CWM available here and even TWRP here.
And before you ask "Are they safe to use", i honestly don't like the word "safe" because there is no 100% safety, no matter what you are doing. But in my Opinion, they are safe enough to give them a try.

v20x (aka JB):
Dexter_nlb has also made CWM for v20x versions, but it requires an unlocked Bootloader. You can get it here.
But not only CWM is available, you can have TWRP and CWM in a boot menu by gordon0001 here

We also have official Rommanager support. You can also download the recovery from there. This version is also very noob friendly, because there are no shell or fastboot commands needed. all you gotta do is to press a few buttons in the app

Question 3.1) Alright, so now i've got a recovery, what about kernels?
We also have some custom kernels available. Just look though the Android development and original Android development sections and choose the one you like the most.

Question 4) Which one is the best custom ROM?
I like this Question just as much as the word "safe" Because there is no "best ROM". It depends on your wishes and preferences. The best thig i can tell you is to try them and to stick with the one you like the most.

Question 5) Does ....... work on my Device?
Well, there is no general answer, but most stuff you can find on XDA is working the way it it discribed in its OP. And if you're not willing to take the possible risk, you can always ask here, cause someone here on xda has tried it most likely.

If you have got a short Question, feel free to ask it here, but if it's a bigger one, please open a new Thread in Q&A section.

Some useful links at the end:
How to report posts
Forum Rules
Getting started on XDA
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to laufersteppenwolf For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift laufersteppenwolf Ad-Free

14th February 2013, 02:48 PM |#2  
Flag Greifswald
Thanks Meter: 213

More
AW: Frequently Asked Questions about the LG Optimus 4x HD
The linked root method doesn't work on Brazilian and Canadian firmwares.

Except that, good idea. I'll link it on my Index.
14th February 2013, 03:39 PM |#3  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Baden-Württemberg

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by muellersmattes

The linked root method doesn't work on Brazilian and Canadian firmwares.

Except that, good idea. I'll link it on my Index.

thanks, i'll add it
14th February 2013, 04:38 PM |#4  
Flag Recife
Thanks Meter: 50

More
Here is how to root brazilian firmware: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=317
14th February 2013, 07:26 PM |#5  
Flag nottingham
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Exclamation help
my phone is rooted. I have cwm recovery. i have cyanogenmod 10.1 and Gapps zips saved on ext sd. when i try and install cm 10.1 using cwm recovery, recovery boot, i wipe data/factory reset, install cm10.1 zip from sd card. it starts to install but then says :some symlinks failed. Error in/extsd/cm10.1 ??(with mr android lying dead on the screen lol) I install Gapps from ext sd and that says install complete. I then press the Reboot and it loads up LG security error, error!!! morningcall is empty. ??? what am i doing wrong???
14th February 2013, 08:55 PM |#6  
Flag Baden-Württemberg

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsantos

Here is how to root brazilian firmware: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=317

thanks, updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoop1982

my phone is rooted. I have cwm recovery. i have cyanogenmod 10.1 and Gapps zips saved on ext sd. when i try and install cm 10.1 using cwm recovery, recovery boot, i wipe data/factory reset, install cm10.1 zip from sd card. it starts to install but then says :some symlinks failed. Error in/extsd/cm10.1 ??(with mr android lying dead on the screen lol) I install Gapps from ext sd and that says install complete. I then press the Reboot and it loads up LG security error, error!!! morningcall is empty. ??? what am i doing wrong???

sorry, but i don't know have you tried to use the internal storage or reformatted your SD?
14th February 2013, 09:13 PM |#7  
Flag nottingham

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by laufersteppenwolf

thanks, updated

sorry, but i don't know have you tried to use the internal storage or reformatted your SD?

ive reformatted my sd yesterday so all i got on it now is the 2 zip files cm10 and Gapps, when i move them in to internal sd and try recovery boot them from int sd folder, theres only install zip ext sd shown in it?? no install zip int sd?? i havent got a clue lol
15th February 2013, 10:00 AM |#8  
Flag Greifswald
Thanks Meter: 213

More
AW: Frequently Asked Questions about the LG Optimus 4x HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoop1982

ive reformatted my sd yesterday so all i got on it now is the 2 zip files cm10 and Gapps, when i move them in to internal sd and try recovery boot them from int sd folder, theres only install zip ext sd shown in it?? no install zip int sd?? i havent got a clue lol

Cwm doesn't support internal atm.

Gesendet von meinem Transformer mit Tapatalk 2
18th February 2013, 06:49 PM |#9  

More
Hi. How can I understand specifics of the LCD of this phone?
Is there any application to find it?
18th February 2013, 08:47 PM |#10  
Flag Baden-Württemberg

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wea reza

Hi. How can I understand specifics of the LCD of this phone?
Is there any application to find it?

sorry, but i don't understand your question...
18th February 2013, 10:36 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 66

More
Re: Frequently Asked Questions about the LG Optimus 4x HD
He wants to know the specifications of the LCD of this phone. Eg. How big? Gorilla Glass? Visible under sunlight? Etc.

Sent from my (Rooted, CWMed, v10h, EternityProjectByKholk) LG-P880 using xda app-developers app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
4x hd, faq

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)