This tutorial is based on merquise's one on S2 forum : [GUIDE] Access US or UK Google Play market through VPN, cmlx's and BC01 posts
Available in french (en français) on my website : ici
*** Updates ***
06 october 2014 - More little changes in the text - Tested and updated with Play Store v4.9.13
11 february 2014 - Little things in the text - Viatun <= 2.3 unavailable
22 october 2013 - Tested and updated with Play Store v4.3.11
*** NO ROOT Required ***
This thread can help people who are searching to access to the US or UK or whatever Google Play Store. You can download apps, music, films, books, blocked in your own Play Store country.
The advantage of this way of doing is that you will use a vpn server for some seconds only, and then your own internet connection which is more secured and rapid.
Since february 2013, apps like Market Enabler (link to the apk) can't change the country of the Play Store. It seems that Google has blocked this possibility.
An answer with a VPN :
You can change the Play Store country with a VPN app, if your account isn't already locked on a country.
VPN are gateway to access the internet from a server in another country. We could easily fake our phone connection to UK or US, or any other country.
But the problem is that we don't really know if this distant server is well-secured.
So here is a way to fake our connection with the Google Play Store while remaining safe.
First, download a VPN app (I add some informations about the free versions of this apps), you just need some MB of data :
- TunnelBear VPN - Free : US or UK, need to subscribe, 500MB/month (you can easily upgrate to 1G with a tweet)
- or Vpn One Click - Free : 17 countries, "no traffic limit"
- or Hotspot Shield VPN - Free : US?, "unlimited bandwith"
- or Hideman VPN - Free : 16 countries, 5h/week free
- or DroidVPN - Root needed - Free : US, need to subscribe, 100MB/day
- or Tigervpns VPN - Free : US or UK or JP, 100MB demo
- or VIATUN 4 VPN (Android 4.0 and up) - Free : many countries, need to subscribe, 3 days (1GB limit)
- Start the VPN app and launch the VPN (search for the country you want or US if you don't know).
- Go in Settings, Applications, Google Play Store, clear data
- Open the Google Play Store app : it will be re-loading and pop-up a confirmation window, says "By using Google Play, you agree to the ... ", just accept it and you can see a new Play Store without restriction.
- Turn OFF VPN and go back on the Play Store. You can then download the apps you want. The status without restriction of Play Store can retain till next reboot of the app or of your device.
You have to do again this process if you want to change again the Play Store country.
Careful : If you buy something on the Play Store or with your Google account, it may stay blocked on this country even if you try to clean everything.
# If you're on an old version of the Play Store ( < 126.96.36.199) :
Instead of clear data, you can go directly on the Play Store app after having start the VPN.
Press the "menu" button and choose "accounts", then press your account which you are currently using, and OK.
Play Store will be re-loading and pop-up a confirmation window, says "By using Google Play, you agree to the ... ", just accept it and you can see a new Play Store without restriction.
Don't forget to put off the VPN before starting to download the apps you want.
# I follow the instructions but it's not working :
- If you use a credit card, see the next tip
- Clear Google Play Store cache and data in settings again. Try also to reboot your router.
- Verify that the vpn is working (see tip below)
- If it's still not working, remove your google account and log in again.
# I use a credit card and the store doesn't change its country :
- The most simple way is to create and use a second google account on your phone, without using a credit card. When you use a credit card, Google block the country of your Play Store.
- If you use Google Wallet, you can try to change your adress and all your localization to another country. (tip from qbsti)
- Delete Creditcards (and Adress) in Wallet. Restart Mobile. Force Close the Play Store App and delete Cache and Data. Activate VPN . Open the store and don't forget then to put off the VPN.
# I don't know if the vpn is working :
- To verify if your vpn is working : go with a mobile browser on a website like http://www.hostip.fr and verify the country.
You can also note your ip before using the vpn. Then start the vpn, go again on the website, refresh the web page. The vpn works if the ip has changed.
# I've got a trust VPN, can I use it ? How ?
- If you've got a trust VPN, you can keep it permanent by directly add it in Android settings - More... - VPN
# Store's country has changed but I don't find paid apps or the one I search.
- If the market's country has changed but you still don't find an app, do a google search with your stock browser. It will ask you if you want to go by the browser or the Play Store. Choose Play Store. The app will open and you can download/buy the app.
- You can also use this app : Fetch, to search an app. It will then redirect you to the Play Store. (tip from xda's member skingg)
# I don't find the country I'm searching for the VPN :
- You can use one of this tutorial : http://www.vpngate.net/en/howto_android.aspx with one VPN of this list : http://www.vpngate.net/en/. There is surely the country you're searching.
- You can also try to use OpenVPN : Open VPN (Play Store) and search for a VPN with this app : easyOVPn
# A video if you don't understand :