Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

ThL W8 anybody??

106 posts
Thanks Meter: 9

By gmincca, Senior Member on 24th February 2013, 09:30 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi folks,

There's lots of ads starting to appear on various 'china phone' websites for phones based on the new mtk6589 quadcore cpu. I took the plunge and ordered a ThL W8 which is on its way. I'll post performance and spec when it arrives if anyone is interested - post and let me know.

Does anyone else have one or similar phone based on mtk6589?

A thread for phones based on mediatek CPU's would be useful, I recon there are a lot about in Europe - those of us who don't want to be locked into expensive 'airtime' contracts and like to be in control of our phone!

Sent from my A110 using xda app-developers app

28th February 2013, 06:23 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmincca

Hi folks,

There's lots of ads starting to appear on various 'china phone' websites for phones based on the new mtk6589 quadcore cpu. I took the plunge and ordered a ThL W8 which is on its way. I'll post performance and spec when it arrives if anyone is interested - post and let me know.

Does anyone else have one or similar phone based on mtk6589?

A thread for phones based on mediatek CPU's would be useful, I recon there are a lot about in Europe - those of us who don't want to be locked into expensive 'airtime' contracts and like to be in control of our phone!

Sent from my A110 using xda app-developers app

From which site you order it? I also like this mob
1st March 2013, 10:09 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Clock
Quote:
Originally Posted by prekasg

From which site you order it? I also like this mob

ThLmobilestore, ordered 5th Feb, had to wait till 18th for shipping because of Chinese New Year holiday, still waiting for it,
I'll post when it finally arrives.
3rd March 2013, 02:31 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmincca

ThLmobilestore, ordered 5th Feb, had to wait till 18th for shipping because of Chinese New Year holiday, still waiting for it,
I'll post when it finally arrives.

When you get it could you post a picture of contents of the engineer mode bandmode page? Getting conflicting reports on the actual bands supported by the MTK6589 chipset this uses.

To get into engineer mode dial *#*#3646633#*#* (Hopefully this is the same as the MT657x series code!) Bandmode should be second from the bottom, there are a lot of options so you have to scroll.
4th March 2013, 08:49 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Clock
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyanora

When you get it could you post a picture of contents of the engineer mode bandmode page? Getting conflicting reports on the actual bands supported by the MTK6589 chipset this uses.

To get into engineer mode dial *#*#3646633#*#* (Hopefully this is the same as the MT657x series code!) Bandmode should be second from the bottom, there are a lot of options so you have to scroll.

Will do, when it arrives!
Chasing ThLmobilestore for tracking data, now 4 weeks and nothing showing ........ just beginning to get a little concerned.
6th March 2013, 12:12 PM |#6  
Flag Salento, Italy
Thanks Meter: 127

More
I don't have this smartphone, but following some Italian threads I know i.e. that it has been succesfully rooted.
Do a Google search and you will find out more.
6th March 2013, 05:56 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
THL W8 received today. Still testing.
6th March 2013, 08:36 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazilian Joe

GLBenchmarks

Galaxy S3 for comparison: https://glbenchmark.com/phonedetails...group=lowlevel

ThL W8: https://glbenchmark.com/resultdetail...36578&D=ThL+W8

Thread on PandaWill: http://www.pandawillforum.com/showth...p?17293-ThL-W8

i wish there was some way to enable wcdma 1900. 850 is good enough for att USA but i want MORE!
7th March 2013, 10:39 AM |#10  
Flag Porto Alegre, RS
Thanks Meter: 12

More
3G data is not connecting... So far I am stumped on how to enable it.
Operator SIM card automatically sets up the APN, but it still does not work.
Setting another APN by hand with the operator settings does not help either.
The 'H' symbol, or '3G', or whatever does not show up on the radio icon.

Is there some hidden setting or debug which I can enable?
Any advice on how can I start debugging the connectivity issue on the phone?

Thanks
8th March 2013, 05:49 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
I also ordered the ThL W8 from www.thlmobilestore.com on March 2nd because it is listed as in stock since then. I was a bit curious after a few days of not having received a shipment confirmation and logged in to the webstore to check my order status. It was found that the shop has no order on record for me.

I sent them a mail to explain what was going on and received a mail that they would ship the phone in one to twoo weeks. For listed as in stock phones? Yes right. Sounds like a scam to me.

I have asked to cancel my order and to refund my money because I do not want to wait another two week for a sipping confirmation. unfortunatel, they did not refund and did not even bother to reply to my request. Therefore, I have opened a dispute for the transaction using paypal buyer protection. I know there is still a high risk of losing my money, because scammers usually accuse the buyer of being a thief and then immediately close the dispute, yet I do not see another alternative at the moment to get my money back.

A warning to all of you, do not order anything from www.thlmobilestore.com. These people cannot be trusted.

There is another store selling these phones, it is called ThL Mobile Store, I should have ordered from them, by assuming I ordered from the factory store, I fell for www.themobilestore.com instead.

The Phone is great from the specs, I may lose my money now and do not get the phone, yet it is still a great phone. Just make sure you order it from a reliable source.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)