Thanks Meter: 151

By apatcas, Senior Member on 25th February 2013, 06:38 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
22nd December 2014, 11:02 AM |#81  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
ASUS TF600T recovery image
Hello,

I got recently an used ASUS TF600T with Windows 8.1 RT. Unfortunately the tablet suffers from the "Sleep of Death" issue after the update to Windows 8.1. It worked fine on Windows 8.0. I tried the factory settings and more, but nothing helped.
Can somebody send me the recovery image for Windows 8.0 RT ??? (English or German... doesn´t matter) I will try to create the USB and will try to recover the Windows 8.0 and then I will stop all updates of the system.
Thank you!

2nd January 2015, 02:58 PM |#82  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Thumbs up Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing.
Windows 8.1 to 8 RT downgrade and recovery

Yesterday i was successfully unlock my vivotab rt tf600tl tablet. i got unlock code from att&t company.
I request code from at&t.
when i got my unlock code i try to unlock by using windows right hand side panel.
But i was failed many times. my tab was upgraded to windows RT 8.1, and I uninstalled the AT&T AllAccess before upgrade. but i couldn't install at&t allaccess. then i downgrade my tablet by using my windows rt recovery disk(usb).
when i try to recover then i got Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing.
then i delete all my partitions and put fresh windows rt installation to my tablet.

these are my steps:if anyone want any help?
1. Boot up from the recovery USB drive and go to the command prompt (after choosing "Troubleshoot" -> "Advanced options" -> "Cmd line").
2.at the command prompt, enter the following (note that this will give you a 32 GB Windows partition and a big user data partition; the data partition can be omitted if desired):
---------------------------------------------------------------------
select disk 0
clean
convert gpt
create partition primary size=350
format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows RE tools"
assign letter="T"
set id="de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac"
gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001
create partition efi size=260
format quick fs=fat32 label="System"
assign letter="S"
create partition msr size=128
create partition primary
shrink minimum=3072
format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows"
assign letter="W"
create partition primary
format quick fs=ntfs label="Recovery image"
assign letter="R"
list volume
----------------------------------------------------------------------
you can type above commands in notepad and save it as recovery.txt
Then run it like so: diskpart.exe /s recovery.txt in command prompt.
you will get full partition tablet

3. Now you should be out of Diskpart but still at the command prompt. Copy the recovery images to the recovery partition. Your recovery USB will probably be drive C, and the images will be several Install.Wim files in the Sources directory. Copy them to drive W. Like this:
dism /apply-image /imagefile:C:\sources\install.wim /index:1 /applydir:W:\

this will get some times to copy your recovery image.
4. You are still in command prompt then type below command one by one
BOOTREC /FIXMBR and press Enter.
BOOTREC /FIXBOOT and press Enter.
BOOTREC /SCANOS and press Enter.
BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD and press Enter.

if last command not success then try
5.Copy the boot files to the System partition:
bcdboot w:\windows

6.then exit from command prompt (use exit command).

7. At this point, Windows will boot up, but will look funny. You can now do a Reset Your PC without getting the message about a missing partition, and everything will be back to normal!

if any one want my recovery disk(windows rt asus vivotab rt tf600tl) please reply.
Good luck.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chathu60 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chathu60 Ad-Free
2nd January 2015, 03:49 PM |#83  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chathu60

Yesterday i was successfully unlock my vivotab rt tf600tl tablet. i got unlock code from att&t company.
when i got my unlock code i try to unlock by using windows right hand side panel.
But i was failed many times. my tab was upgraded to windows RT 8.1, and I uninstalled the AT&T AllAccess before upgrade. but i couldn't install at&t allaccess. then i downgrade my tablet by using my windows rt recovery disk(usb).
when i try to recover then i got Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing.
then i delete all my partitions and put fresh windows rt installation to my tablet.

1. Boot up from the recovery USB drive and go to the command prompt (after choosing "Troubleshoot" -> "Advanced options" -> "Cmd line").
2.at the command prompt, enter the following (note that this will give you a 32 GB Windows partition and a big user data partition; the data partition can be omitted if desired):
select disk 0
clean
convert gpt
assign letter="T"
assign letter="S"
create partition primary
shrink minimum=3072
assign letter="W"
create partition primary
assign letter="R"
list volume

3. Now you should be out of Diskpart but still at the command prompt. Copy the recovery images to the recovery partition. Your recovery USB will probably be drive C, and the images will be several Install.Wim files in the Sources directory. Copy them to drive W. Like this:

7. At this point, Windows will boot up, but will look funny. You can now do a Reset Your PC without getting the message about a missing partition, and everything will be back to normal!

if any one want my recovery disk(windows rt asus vivotab rt tf600tl) please reply.
Good luck.

can you post the recovery disk?
2nd January 2015, 10:39 PM |#84  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dppd

Initially, according to some experiments we 've done here, I would suggest that there is no need for a particular, that is machine speficic recovery drive. If you have patcas compressed file on your hard drive, choose a fresh formatted usb stick that could hold at least 4,5 GB and just unzip the contents inside.

After that shut down you TF600 in any way, that is by force or by software. You may hold the power button continuously until it gets off or you could shutdown by using Windows commands.
While your tablet is powered off, connect your usb stick on the appropriate port and then connect your power supply in the outlet. Hold down the Volume Down button and press the Power button without releasing the former until the ASUS logo shows up.
This method signals immediate USB boot!

Follow the instuctions, choose the appropriate recovery way. If there is a suspicion that the damage is severe then consider asking positively when you 'll be questioned about the hard disk structure. You may choose to reformat the whole drive.

If you choose the latter, make sure that your tablet is connected to an external power supply because the restore process will need approximately an hour to finish.

Complete the installation, sign in with a Microsoft account then install every update that is supplied through the Windows Update, restart check for remaining updates and finally open the Store and command it to install Windows 8.1 upgrade.

By references from the Internet there had been a lot of upgrade errors especially for MS Surface RT users. In our situation (TF600TL, Windows 8 RT) the upgrade was downloaded, did some initial checks and immediately after the initial automatic reboot the system encountered an error showing a blue screen. This was kept going until some automatic recovery tools interfered and finally restored the previous installation (that of apatcas).
Nevertheless we hadn't upgrade to 8.1 since there was an error so we 've decided to make some research onto the upgrade log files. We 've also gathered some information through the Internet. Finally after some additionall research we 've figured out a solution.

There was no need to let the system to automatically reboot Windows after some initial checks during the first stage of the upgrade. We needed to click on the close button and manuall order the system to shut down. After that we powered it on and the upgrade process continued flawlessly.

I hope that these tips will be useful to anyone who is interested on self-restoration.

I also got same booting problem on my TF600TL Win8.0 RT after upgrade to win 8.1 via Microsoft store. However, it was successfully recovered using the apatcas image. Then, went ot MicrosoftStore to download win8.1. Following your instruction, I manually shut it down and powered it on. I still got the booting issue. Your method did not work for me.
3rd January 2015, 04:28 PM |#85  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Asus VivoTab AT&T LTE TF600TL Win RT windows 8.1
I got my VivoTab 32GB 4G AT&T LTE TF600TL Win RT after installing the windows 8.1 update it stopped working. When it boots it tries to diagnose itself than switches to auto repair and then I get Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC. Log file: C:\windows\system32\logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt
Now if I go to Advanced Options > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command Prompt I get X:\windows\system32> so how am I getting a C: massage.
Now if I go to X:\windows\system32>diskpart then to X:\windows\system32>list disk I get Disk 0 Status online Size 29gb Free 0B and nothing under Dyn and * under Gpt
Next DISKPART>select disk 0 Disk 0 is now the selected disk. than DISKPART>list partition I get my list
Partition 1 type Recovery size 300Mb offset 1024 kb
Partition 2 type System size 100Mb offset 301 Mb
Partition 3 type Primary size 26GB offset 401 Mb
Partition 4 type Recovery size 2632Mb offset 26GB
Can I select recovery from her to fix my problem ? and how would i do it? can any one help me with this?
Mean will ill be searching for more information on my own too.
Thanks
14th January 2015, 05:46 PM |#86  
Flag Toronto

More
VivoTab RT Blue Screen of Death Post 8.1 Patching
Quote:
Originally Posted by chathu60

select disk 0
clean
convert gpt
assign letter="T"
assign letter="S"
create partition primary
shrink minimum=3072
assign letter="W"
create partition primary
assign letter="R"
list volume

Good luck.

+++++ This is for a VivoTab TF600T +++++

First off, major thanks to APATCAS for posting this thread, it is the best help for those of us with VIVOTABs I've found so far. Your Image was priceless in providing a Recovery environment for those of us that were foolish enough to avoid making a Recovery USB.

Also a big thanks to Chathu60, your article gelled the approach and helped get me closer than I've been since mid December.
I started with a Reboot in December after a regular Windows Update Patch pack for 8.1
This immediately resulted in the BSOD and " Error Code 0xc0000001 "
"You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media "

After several weeks I found the image that Apatcas posted and it provided me the ability to boot the device into the Windows Recovery Environment. !
Next I tried many command line executables and GUI repairs as well with no positive results.

Where am I at now ?

1) I used Chathu60's approach for DISM to apply the image to the C:|Windows Partition.
- When I reviewed the contents after the image was set, I notice that all files are dated 2012 therefore figured this is a Windows 8.0 image. Major difference ! When I tried the "Reset your PC" option in WinRE I noticed it was no longer a Win 8.1 image, and instead reads Windows RT ( Great News There )

2) Now that I know that it's a Windows 8 RT C:\Windows image, I tried the BootRec Options.
BOOTREC /FIXMBR
BOOTREC /FIXBOOT
BOOTREC /SCANOS
BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD
The first two always work. the Second two never do, they always result in 0 Windows Installations Found.

3) So I thought why not copy the BCD file from the newly imaged C:\Windows\Boot\DVD\EFI directory to the (Boot System Partition) \EFI\Microsoft\Boot directory.
Once I did this, I reran the Bootrec Commands and amazingly, the first three worked.
Yes, the SCANOS finally resulted in 1 Windows Installation Found C:\Windows
I then tried BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD , it came back:
It sees the 1 windows installation in c:\windows
Add the installation to the boot list ? Yes (Y) / No (N) / All (A): a
Which results with:
"The system cannot find the file specified ."

This is where I am stuck right now.
When I do this, ' Reset your PC + Fully clean the drive " now runs fine, Reboots, then results in the error:
Error Code 0xc0000001
Multiple tries, yada yada ...

What "File" does Bootrec / rebuildbcd look for ?
is there another spot on the Windows Partition where the BCD lives ?
Perhaps somewhere else on the System partition ?

I feel like I am soooooooo Cloooooose !!!!
*** Quick observation: If the image replaced the Windows Partition, how would the System Partition be reset back to the pre Win 8.1 environment ? Perhaps I need to replace more than just my BCD file on the EFI boot disk !
ps.
I left my Disk Partitions alone as they all seem OK ( See Disk Details in attachment )
Attached Files
File Type: docx VivoRTDiskDetails.docx - [Click for QR Code] (16.0 KB, 532 views)
15th January 2015, 06:14 PM |#87  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
That s exactly what happened with me.

Sent from my SCL22 using XDA Free mobile app
19th January 2015, 01:42 PM |#88  
Flag Toronto

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalexop

+++++ This is for a VivoTab TF600T +++++

First off, major thanks to APATCAS for posting this thread, it is the best help for those of us with VIVOTABs I've found so far. Your Image was priceless in providing a Recovery environment for those of us that were foolish enough to avoid making a Recovery USB.

Also a big thanks to Chathu60, your article gelled the approach and helped get me closer than I've been since mid December.
I started with a Reboot in December after a regular Windows Update Patch pack for 8.1
This immediately resulted in the BSOD and " Error Code 0xc0000001 "
"You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media "

After several weeks I found the image that Apatcas posted and it provided me the ability to boot the device into the Windows Recovery Environment. !
Next I tried many command line executables and GUI repairs as well with no positive results.

Where am I at now ?

1) I used Chathu60's approach for DISM to apply the image to the C:|Windows Partition.
- When I reviewed the contents after the image was set, I notice that all files are dated 2012 therefore figured this is a Windows 8.0 image. Major difference ! When I tried the "Reset your PC" option in WinRE I noticed it was no longer a Win 8.1 image, and instead reads Windows RT ( Great News There )

2) Now that I know that it's a Windows 8 RT C:\Windows image, I tried the BootRec Options.
BOOTREC /FIXMBR
BOOTREC /FIXBOOT
BOOTREC /SCANOS
BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD
The first two always work. the Second two never do, they always result in 0 Windows Installations Found.

3) So I thought why not copy the BCD file from the newly imaged C:\Windows\Boot\DVD\EFI directory to the (Boot System Partition) \EFI\Microsoft\Boot directory.
Once I did this, I reran the Bootrec Commands and amazingly, the first three worked.
Yes, the SCANOS finally resulted in 1 Windows Installation Found C:\Windows
I then tried BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD , it came back:
It sees the 1 windows installation in c:\windows
Add the installation to the boot list ? Yes (Y) / No (N) / All (A): a
Which results with:
"The system cannot find the file specified ."

This is where I am stuck right now.
When I do this, ' Reset your PC + Fully clean the drive " now runs fine, Reboots, then results in the error:
Error Code 0xc0000001
Multiple tries, yada yada ...

What "File" does Bootrec / rebuildbcd look for ?
is there another spot on the Windows Partition where the BCD lives ?
Perhaps somewhere else on the System partition ?

I feel like I am soooooooo Cloooooose !!!!
*** Quick observation: If the image replaced the Windows Partition, how would the System Partition be reset back to the pre Win 8.1 environment ? Perhaps I need to replace more than just my BCD file on the EFI boot disk !
ps.
I left my Disk Partitions alone as they all seem OK ( See Disk Details in attachment )

I found the answer to my last question.
" What placed the files in the system partition ? "
This is what I ran for my Vivotab:

BCDBoot c:\Windows\Boot\EFI /s E: /f UEFI
( Note there are two things I had to do to make this work )
1) Assign a drive letter to the System Partition via DiskPart )
2) Copy the BCD file from the image to Windows\Boot\EFI

Once you delete the System Partition and recreate it, it will be empty. I executed BCDBoot and it populated all directories and files.

Now I always see "1 Windows installation" when I run Bootrec /scanos or Bootrec /RebuildBCD
My last isssue ?
Windows does not boot and remains with the same error code from the very beginning.
I continue to see the " The system cannot find the file specified" error when running Bootrec / RebuildBCD
In fact after that error occurs, the BCD file located on the System Partition becomes 8 K in size, which represents an empty store.
More testing....

One lesson that was surprising was:
I decrypted my Install.esd file on my Recovery partition, turned it into a Windows 8 RT ISO, put it on a USB stick and started the Windows 8 Setup.exe. It ran normally and immediately asked me for the Activation key.
Since I do not have a Software Hive from my original Windows 8 RT environment, I tried pulling the license key from the APATCAS image. ( Which I did ). I input this license and it did not work. I gather that each Vivotab has a separate license encrypted in the firmware.
So a clean install is out of the question...

The only thing left to try would be to completely wipe the Tablet and follow Chathu60's directions.
( Or become a BCD guru LOL )
21st January 2015, 01:44 PM |#89  
Flag Toronto

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalexop

I found the answer to my last question.
" What placed the files in the system partition ? "
This is what I ran for my Vivotab:

BCDBoot c:\Windows\Boot\EFI /s E: /f UEFI
( Note there are two things I had to do to make this work )
1) Assign a drive letter to the System Partition via DiskPart )
2) Copy the BCD file from the image to Windows\Boot\EFI

Once you delete the System Partition and recreate it, it will be empty. I executed BCDBoot and it populated all directories and files.

Now I always see "1 Windows installation" when I run Bootrec /scanos or Bootrec /RebuildBCD
My last isssue ?
Windows does not boot and remains with the same error code from the very beginning.
I continue to see the " The system cannot find the file specified" error when running Bootrec / RebuildBCD
In fact after that error occurs, the BCD file located on the System Partition becomes 8 K in size, which represents an empty store.
More testing....

One lesson that was surprising was:
I decrypted my Install.esd file on my Recovery partition, turned it into a Windows 8 RT ISO, put it on a USB stick and started the Windows 8 Setup.exe. It ran normally and immediately asked me for the Activation key.
Since I do not have a Software Hive from my original Windows 8 RT environment, I tried pulling the license key from the APATCAS image. ( Which I did ). I input this license and it did not work. I gather that each Vivotab has a separate license encrypted in the firmware.
So a clean install is out of the question...

The only thing left to try would be to completely wipe the Tablet and follow Chathu60's directions.
( Or become a BCD guru LOL )

Hi Folks,

I looked deeper into mt BCD store and discovered the following:
1) When I toasted my C Partition and replaced it with the contents of the Apatcas Vivotab image, it overwrote my BCD file as well as the BCD-Template file. ( To be expected )
What I now realize is that this image is a WIN PE image and the contents of the BCD store within this image is solely Win PE. I now had no BCD Store info for Windows RT on the TF600T.
Luckily I saved all my versions of BCD stores on the System partition back to December.
( System hidden partition ) \EFI\Microsoft\Boot
The Apatcas Vivotab Image BCD store is around 230 k in size, which is odd given the relatively small content. My original BCD store was 56 k in December. When I looked at it via BCDEdit /Store PathtoBCD \Enum all, I immediately saw the references to my Boot Manager, Windows Loader, EMMC, etc etc. The issue with this BDC was that the Device definition was set to Unknown. Therefore it would never allow the system to boot.
For Example: the Boot Manager should have looked like this:
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume1
path \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
description Windows Boot Manager

My Copy had the word " unknown " in the Device line.
( Exactly the same problem with the Windows Loader )
So I used the following command to fix it :
Bcdedit /set {bootmgr} partition=\Device\harddiskVolume2 ( I found this via DiskPart )
and
Bcdedit /set {Default} partition=C: ( Default is the header documented within the BCD File, seen via BCDEdit /Store C:\Windows\Boot\EFI\BCD /Enum all )
The following is what is should look like. ( My version had the word unknown instead of Partition=C: )
Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {9f25ee7a-e7b7-11db-94b5-f7e662935912}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.efi
description Microsoft Windows Server 8
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows

Once I fixed this issue, I saved a copy of the new BCD file.
Then I ran : BCDEDIT /store c:\windows\boot\efi\bcd /enum to make sure it was still good.
I copied this version over to my System Partition under \EFI\Microsoft\Boot and now I had two BCD stores that matched.

I ran BootRec /Scanos and it was successful, seeing one Windows Installation in the C: drive.

I then ran Bootrec /RebuildBCD. it saw one Windows installation on the C Drive.
It finally ran successfully without the " Cannot Find the Specified File "
My BCD Store is now fixed.

When I reboot the Tablet, I am back to my very original issue, which is it boots to the Win 8 rotating circles then craps out with the 0xc0000001 generic error.

More on the testing of the Apatcas Recovery Image vs the Full German Image posted in this Thread.
*** Hi Folks, apologies for jumping around so much in this submission. I am going to re-write it tonight to describe the problem statement, what I did to find root cause, and what finally worked *** It's so important to help each other ! ****
21st January 2015, 02:33 PM |#90  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
I spent many days on trying to resolve this issue and I used all recovery images that can be found on the Internet including for surface rt. I also bought an another vivotab with rt.8.1, captured its image, applied it after to the broken device but still no luck. I really hope you will go through to this issue because I gave up. Sorry for my bad English.

Sent from my SC-06D using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2350875

disk wiped clean - won't allow me to recover

This thread contains also many information that can help.

Sent from my SC-06D using XDA Free mobile app
21st January 2015, 05:14 PM |#91  
Flag Toronto

More
Vivotab Recovery Image
Hi folks,
I am posting a second stream to this thread as I think it's important to focus in on the Images themselves.
I really hope Apatcas, Stoekler, and Chatu60 are still monitoring this one !!.

My experience so far has been that the Apatcas image ( Vivotab.Rar ) is very stable.
I've deployed it several times on various sized USB drives and it works flawlessly on my TF600T.
This image brings up the Windows Recovery environment where I can gain access to the Command Prompt.
( This is the only aspect of the Win RE that works mind you, everything else concludes properly, but Windows RT never boots by itself )
I have also re-imaged my C: partition with the VivoTab.RAR Windows 8.0 RT install.wim file to bring it to 2012 file stamps.
( Which led me to my other string of issues in this thread specific to over-writing the BCD Store )

Stoekler's image however does not boot on my TF600T at all.

I have found that the following files are totally different in size compared to the Vivotab.Rar Image:
The sizes here are the working versions from that I replaced in the Stoekler image, from the Vivotab.rar image
USB\Bootmgr.efi 730k
USB\Reagent.xml 1k
USB\EFI\boot\bootarm.efi 732k
USB\Sources\boot.wim 182k
USB\Sources\Install.wim did not capture size, will update
USB\Sources\MD5.install Need to validate the complete name, will update.

My test was to create the Bootable USB hosting Stoeklers Image, then replace these files one-by-one until it works. It did indeed start working once I hit the MD5 file. I could start pulling files out until it stops again to understand which particular ones are important, but at this point, I want to concentrate on getting the image loaded.
The Stoekler image contains the Install.esd file, which is actually from the tablets 2.6GB Recovery Partition !
This is an encrypted image file that DISM will not deal with. You need esd-decrypter-v4c to extract it to form the DSIM directory + Decrypt.cmd file. Then you can create an complete ISO for Win 8 RT. However, I have found that the original activation key is required to do this, which is long gone post 8.1 upgrade. ( Unless you still have access to your backed up registry files, which I do not )

However I think Stoekler might have used the Windows Recovery Environment to deploy the image instead of creating the ISO. This is the part I have not been able to get working. I am trying to understand how WIN RE will "present access" to this recovery partition. It might be the BCD store which I am still working on.

Stoekler, if you are still following this thread, two questions.
1) I am guessing that your boot files are so different from Apatcas' because you have the TF600TG ?? Can you please validate that your bootable USB stick worked with just those files & folders, formatted FAT32, GPT.

2) Has anyone tested this image with a plain-jane TF600T ?

3) I assume you booted into the Windows Recovery Environment, then saw an option in the GUI to recover this particular image ? Is that true ? If so did you "tune" your BCD store ?

I am attaching my Disk Partition Tables to this reply because it's important to understand that there is a WinRE.Wim file in the 300 MB "Volume 1" hidden Partition and a 2 GB Install.ESD file in the 2.6GB "Volume 3" hidden Partition
Somehow, it must be possible to use these to boot into the Recovery environment and then "Factory Reset" the Tablet without the need for the original License Keys. For that, we need to understand how to get the WinRE.Wim file over to a bootable USB, and then provide access to the Install.ESD file from Win RE.

Has anyone out there used their OEM Recovery Image successfully themselves ?

Attached Files
File Type: docx VivoRTDiskDetails.docx - [Click for QR Code] (16.0 KB, 248 views)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)