THIS REQUIRES THE 2ND-BOOTLOADER/RECOVERY ALREADY BE INSTALLED ON YOUR DEVICE. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THAT, THEN START HERE:
Curious as to how the Ubuntu Touch Preview looks? Why not load it on your Kindle Fire HD and see for yourself.
- [02/27] Fixed the UI DPI settings. Needs to re-flash following the instructions below.
Instructions [CHANGED 02/27]:
1. Make a Titanium Backup and/or backup in recovery of your current Android. This preview is fun to play with but not a replacement for something as developed as CM 10.1
2. Download the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 Mini-Android base for Ubuntu Touch and place it on your device:
3. Download the latest Ubuntu Touch Preview Filesystem .zip from Ubuntu:
If the above link is broken, use this link for a full listing of the current build files (download the quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip .. soon to be raring-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip):
4. Reboot into recovery. Wipe system and Factory Reset (wipes data/cache).
4a. Wipe system and Factory Reset (wipes data/cache).
4b. Install the quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip FIRST, and then the phablet-2013xxxx.zip SECOND.
5. Reboot and Enjoy
NOTE: The preview comes pre-loaded with several users in the login screen and they have data to browse around with. Move to the "Guest" account and tap on area where it tells you to login.
- Touch screen
WHAT DOESN'T WORK:
There's so much that is still being implemented into the Touch version of Ubuntu, that this list could get pretty long.
- No sound obviously (WIP for all ROMs)
- [FIXED 02/27] Need to adjust the GRID_UNIT_PX in /home/phablet/.bashrc to be slightly smaller so that the on-screen keyboard fits correctly (I'd guess 16-18).
- Barely any sensors other than touchscreen work. IE: no rotation, etc. Ubuntu WIP issue.
- No HD codecs (still being worked on) Ubuntu WIP issue.
- Battery doesn't get a reading currently due to the custom sysfs path. (Can fix in kernel updates later)
- No screen timeout / auto blank -- becareful when walking away from the device. Need to press the power button to turn the screen off. Ubuntu WIP issue.
RELATED UBUNTU TOUCH LINKS:
(Some of these describe how to install it on devices -- you can ignore those instructions and follow the above for the Kindle Fire HD 8.9)
Ubuntu Touch Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/
Release Notes: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/ReleaseNotes
IRC Channel on freenode.net: #ubuntu-touch