NO, YOU DON'T NEED S-OFF TO FLASH ROMS....
Getting root acces
- Unlock your bootloader with HTCDEV or using this tool: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2133336
- Then flash CWM or 4ext recovery in fastboot per this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...25&postcount=7 and make a nand backup.
- Then reboot into recovery and flash SU or SuperSU.
- Reboot the device and voilá. You are done
IF YOUR BUILD VERSION IS NOT SUPPORTED TO UPDATE THEN:
- Create a goldcard using this tool: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=970157 (you need a working phone for this)
- Find a RUU which main version is supported and higher than yours and flash it in the PD98IMG.zip way, that is what is the goldcard for.
- Re run the tool and you will be able to update the hboot and unlock it
The other way to achive root access is to flash a custom rom after unlocking the bootloader.
As you can notice root access is easy to be gained but not S-OFF. If you are skilled in android and working with terminal or cmd commands, then you can use this: http://tau.shadowchild.nl/attn1/?p=411
Flashing roms with an unlocked bootloader
- Unlock your bootloader and flash a custom recovery (CWM or 4ext)
- Download the rom zip file you are willing to flash to your PC.
- Extract the the boot.img from inside the zip file (do not extract the whole rom)
- Put the zip file in your sdcard.
- Boot into recovery and do a full wipe (wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition, format system)
- Flash rom (install zip from sdcard)
- Reboot into bootloader again and plug the phone to the PC.
- You need to be in fastboot usb (if you see HBOOT USB PLUG in the phone, just press power to toggle)
- Open a cmd/terminal and navigate to where the boot.img file is located.
- Type: fastboot flash boot boot.img If you don´t how to do that, watch this video (it is in spanish, thou you can follow it without listening to the instructions)
- Reboot and now you should be enjoying your custom rom