FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM] Ubuntu Touch Preview [02/27: Alpha Update #1]

3,419 posts
Thanks Meter: 23,861

By Hashcode, Senior Recognized Developer on 27th February 2013, 11:55 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
** Work-In-Progress: Ubuntu Touch Preview is just that.. a PREVIEW. Do not complain about missing features, etc. The OS isn't nearly ready for primetime. **

Curious as to how the Ubuntu Touch Preview looks? Why not load it on your Kindle Fire 1st Gen and see for yourself.

CHANGES:
  • [02/27] Fixed the UI DPI settings. Needs to re-flash following the instructions below.

Instructions [CHANGED 02/27]:

1. Make a Titanium Backup and/or backup in recovery of your current Android. This preview is fun to play with but not a replacement for something as developed as CM 10.1

2. Download the Kindle Fire 1st=Gen Mini-Android base for Ubuntu Touch and place it on your device:
[02/27] http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter/ub...0227-otter.zip
md5sum: 4584b054391fe744230d9fd28686c37c

3. DUE TO OUR DATA PARTITION SIZE WE HAVE SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR PLACING THE UBUNTU TOUCH ROOTFS ON OUR DEVICE:

3a. Download a custom Ubuntu Touch Rootfs Installer ZIP:
http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter/ub...-installer.zip

3b. Download the latest Ubuntu Touch Preview Filesystem .zip from Ubuntu:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-tou...blet-armhf.zip

If the above link is broken, use this link for a full listing of the current build files (download the quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip .. soon to be raring-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip):
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-tou...alled/current/

3c. On your PC extract open the Ubuntu Touch Preview Filesystem .zip and extract the *.tar.gz file inside
(currently called: manhattan-quantal-armhf-tar-20130227-1.tar.gz)

3d. rename this to: ubuntu-rootfs.tar.gz and place it at the root of /sdcard on the Kindle (not in any subdirectories)

4. Reboot into recovery.

4a. Wipe system and Factory Reset (wipes data/cache).

IMPORTANT:
4b. Install the ubuntu-rootfs-installer.zip FIRST (this actually uses the ubuntu-rootfs.tar.gz file we placed on the /sdcard), and then the phablet-2013xxxx-otter.zip SECOND.

5. Reboot and Enjoy

NOTE: The preview comes pre-loaded with several users in the login screen and they have data to browse around with. Move to the "Guest" account and tap on area where it tells you to login.

WHAT WORKS:
  • Display
  • Touch screen

WHAT DOESN'T WORK:
** OVER TIME YOU WILL RUN OUT OF MEMORY AND THE DEVICE BECOMES TERRIBLY SLUGGISH. THIS IS DUE TO OUR 512MB RAM AND HOPEFULLY THIS IS FIXED AS TIME GOES ON BY CANONICAL **

There's so much that is still being implemented into the Touch version of Ubuntu, that this list could get pretty long.
  • [FIXED 02/27] Need to adjust the GRID_UNIT_PX in /home/phablet/.bashrc to be slightly smaller so that the on-screen keyboard fits correctly
  • Oddly no WIFI yet. Still troubleshooting.
  • No sound
  • Barely any sensors other than touchscreen work. IE: no rotation, etc. Ubuntu WIP issue.
  • No HD codecs (still being worked on) Ubuntu WIP issue.
  • No screen timeout / auto blank -- becareful when walking away from the device. Need to press the power button to turn the screen off. Ubuntu WIP issue.

RELATED UBUNTU TOUCH LINKS:
(Some of these describe how to install it on devices -- you can ignore those instructions and follow the above for the Kindle Fire)

Ubuntu Touch Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/
Release Notes: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/ReleaseNotes
IRC Channel on freenode.net: #ubuntu-touch
The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to Hashcode For This Useful Post: [ View ]

27th February 2013, 11:57 PM |#2  
OP Senior Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
RESERVED
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hashcode For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th February 2013, 12:08 AM |#3  
Account currently disabled
Flag Nowhere
Thanks Meter: 278,864

More
Re: [ROM] Ubuntu Touch Preview [02/27: Alpha Update #1]
Thanks Hash. I've been waiting to test this.
I see you mentioned the data's partition size... Will dual booting effect this is any way? I don't see how it would, but it's best to be careful...
The Following 313 Users Say Thank You to Ichigo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ichigo Ad-Free
28th February 2013, 12:30 AM |#4  
OP Senior Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
The data extract is around 900MB. So plan accordingly Normally the 500MB internal .tar.gz file is extracted to /data and then extracted out from there, but we have to avoid this. Hence the longer rootfs install instructions.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hashcode For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th February 2013, 02:36 AM |#5  
Flag Detroit
Thanks Meter: 53

More
Awesome work Hashcode! I'll be installing this and testing when I get home from work. Since it's CM based I assume ADB shell and logcat will work? I'm familiar with Linux so I've been looking forward to this.
28th February 2013, 04:13 AM |#6  
Flag A little town called Proctor
Thanks Meter: 429

More
Awesome. @HashCode- you still amaze me every time I see you post! Great job! And for step three is it a,b or c. Or a, b and c?

Edit: never mind I was confused. Thanks again.
28th February 2013, 04:17 AM |#7  
Account currently disabled
Flag Nowhere
Thanks Meter: 278,864

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiascuypers

Awesome. @HashCode- you still amaze me every time I see you post! Great job! And for step three is it a,b or c. Or a, b and c?

You would have to do each of those steps...
The Following 314 Users Say Thank You to Ichigo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ichigo Ad-Free
28th February 2013, 04:30 AM |#8  
Flag A little town called Proctor
Thanks Meter: 429

More
After messing around for a bit I went back to Android. Its actually pretty smooth. Way better than I thought. Once WiFi and rotation get fixed I'll probably use it more. But it is what it is, a Preview. Great job Hash! Hope you can keep this updated!
28th February 2013, 01:29 PM |#9  
Flag Matale
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Thank you x 1000000! Nice work, Keep it up!
28th February 2013, 01:36 PM |#10  
Flag Plano, Texas
Thanks Meter: 276

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashcode

** Work-In-Progress: Ubuntu Touch Preview is just that.. a PREVIEW. Do not complain about missing features, etc. The OS isn't nearly ready for primetime. **

Curious as to how the Ubuntu Touch Preview looks? Why not load it on your Kindle Fire 1st Gen and see for yourself.

How much memory does this take on the SDCARD? Currently I am dualbooting, and can I dualboot this and stock MoDaCo?
28th February 2013, 02:20 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 11

Donate to Me
More
Will this work with this
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1615093

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using xda premium
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)