FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM][P6800][OnHold]Ubuntu-touch dev preview(18.03.2013)

35 posts
Thanks Meter: 42

By dun1982, Member on 2nd March 2013, 01:05 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have put this project on hold for now. I flashed latest Austrian ICS build to my device and continue using it as my Kindle reader on my travels. IF somone manages to fix the two issues with kernel, send me a message and I'll continue working with the repository. But for now I'm not thinking nor touching the subject before Easter. Thank you for participating for now

I've started porting Ubuntu-touch dev-preview to the Galaxy Tab 7.7 (3g). If you do not understand it already, you flash this at your own risk. There is now also a Ubuntu-touch specific device page here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Devices/p6800. I'll try to keep this thread and the Ubuntu devices page as close to each other as possible.

Big thanks to Daniel_hk for helping with boot.img Now It can be booted, but the screen is still black

Also, without working wifi and display, the preview is basically unusable... Next steps should be these:
1. Get wifi drivers working.
2. Get display drivers working.

Code:
[email protected]:/# uname -a
Linux localhost 3.0.15-CM-g1dc3074 #2 SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 13 00:43:37 EET 2013 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux
Repositories:
Latest release tagged with: "v0.3", not tested!
https://github.com/dun1982/android_device_samsung_p6800
https://github.com/dun1982/android_kernel_samsung_p6800

Download
Installation
  1. Install CWM 6.0.2.8
  2. Wipe data/factory reset
  3. Wipe cache partition
  4. Flash cm-10.1-20130312-UNOFFICIAL-p6800.zip to device
  5. Flash quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip to device
  6. Reboot

Starting to use
Then it gets interesting (Black sreen for now now Run the following commands in your desktop system:
Code:
adb root
adb shell
ubuntu_chroot shell
You should have now root access inside your tabled. Continue with this wiki next

What works
  • Ubuntu-touch dev-preview is flashable.
  • It boots!

Known Issues
  • Kernel is based to the CyanogenMod/android_kernel_samsung_smdk4210, but it is a mess. So forked it, took code here and there (mostly from locerra's JB build).
  • Kernel is based 3.0.15 and no newer one available (yet).
  • Most of the drivers in kernel had to be turned off, because build was not succeeding...
  • bluetooth: Doesn't work
  • audio: Dock audio doesn't work.
  • hwcomposer: HDMI dongle doesn't work.
  • wifi: Doesn't work.
  • camera: Doesn't work.
  • .. and lot of kernel level bugs for sure.
  • Displaydrivers are not working (yet).

Release notes
  • Version 0.2 (13.03.2013) - Now it boots, see release notes
  • Version 0.1 (07.03.2013) - Intial release, nothing works

Credits
  • BIG THANKS to daniel_hk for solving the boot.img problem for me.
  • Anyone who has worked previously with the device/kernel source.
  • locerra (for getting CM10.1 to flashable state).
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to dun1982 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dun1982 Ad-Free

2nd March 2013, 01:07 AM |#2  
Flag Dp
Thanks Meter: 72

More
wowww!!! thank you !test now
2nd March 2013, 01:07 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
Placeholder for future.
2nd March 2013, 01:50 AM |#4  
Flag Valencia
Thanks Meter: 69

More
Re: [ROM][P6800]Ubuntu-touch dev preview(02.03.2013)
Not 6810 versión?

AUs
2nd March 2013, 09:00 AM |#5  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_campi

Not 6810 versión?

AUs

I cannot test it for anything else. The kernel sources are from CM10.1 that was in use from locerra, so in theory it should work with i815 and with p6810 as well. But I cannot give you any guarantees...

And also before I get this build to even start with my device, I do not think that sharing image would help anyone. But if you are a developer, I would like to talk with you on issues that I might have missed or done wrong. So contact me
5th March 2013, 11:52 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
any update?

Sent from my GT-P6800 using xda premium
6th March 2013, 08:50 AM |#7  
OP Member

More
Not much. The generated image is missing /data/ubuntu completely and that is the reason why the image does not boot. I got also flu and fewer, so I have had not that much time after the weekend to look on the issues on that.

I'm also waiting if I get any answers from Ubuntu touch emailing list regarding the problem and where to look for answers, but my quess is that it has something to do with the devices fstab file...
6th March 2013, 01:47 PM |#8  
OP Member

More
Good news everyone!

Just got a very good answer the problem I had with the /data/ubuntu-folder missing from the image. There was no image provided for the actual Ubuntu at all by the build-process...

When I get home from work, I'll try to find time to look into the build process if I can include the actual Ubuntu image to the ready made image and then release it after I get my device to boot. But it seems that I got the right nudge forward for this now
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dun1982 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dun1982 Ad-Free
6th March 2013, 04:40 PM |#9  
OP Member

More
Hmpf, still not booting. Now the /data/ubuntu logs are unmodified, which would point towards kernel or fstab-issue (ie. /data/ubuntu is never used...).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dun1982 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dun1982 Ad-Free
6th March 2013, 06:45 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Good job :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thum bup:

Sent from my GT-p6800 using xda premium
6th March 2013, 11:35 PM |#11  
OP Member

More
Doh... still not working... Any ideas anyone?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)