My D3 died! :(

Search This thread

DoubleYouPee

Jul 28, 2011
:crying:

Opened bike race when the screen froze while opening the game (dark screen).
Pulled the battery but when I boot the screen goes on after 3 secs, stays on for 2 secs then goes into dim mode (i can see it's still on).
However my phone doesn't boot since I don't get any whatsapp messages. Normally it should boot to SIM screen but other apps should run.
X+power or M+power doesn't change much.

I'm guessing mobo/cpu fail.... any ideas?

edit: It turns on when I put in the charger without battery! Dead battery?

Last edited:

Endoroid

Aug 28, 2011
Surrey
If you put the battery flat on a table does in spin well. Batteries bulge when they are done. The better the spin the worse it is. It's odd the behaviour that can happen with a end of life battery

Sent from my DROID3 using xda premium

DoubleYouPee

Jul 28, 2011
Well now I'm not so sure what it is.
When I put the cable in without battery the M logo appeared and then the charge screen with a ? in the battery (because there was none)
Then I put the battery in and it started charging.
After a while I tried to turn it on but same problem - just a black screen when power it, no logo whatsoever.

Now I can't get it to work without battery either...

edit: I don't think it can be the battery, because the screen stays on (it has power apparently) and it doens't work with cable connected either
But I also don't see it being the screen as it never vibrates like it does when you boot it.
How did it just show the charge screen before and now it doesn't??

Last edited:

doogald

May 27, 2010
The Droid 3 and Bionic are similar phones, and it turns out that the Bionic will not boot up without a battery - it will hang at the Moto logo even if plugged in. See this thread at androidforums.com: http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...via-adb-unable-boot-up-phone.html#post5463741

So, it may be that you just need a good battery pack in order to get to Recovery/Bootloader/Fastboot etc. if the phone will not start or start to Safestrap.

DoubleYouPee

Jul 28, 2011
The Droid 3 and Bionic are similar phones, and it turns out that the Bionic will not boot up without a battery - it will hang at the Moto logo even if plugged in. See this thread at androidforums.com: http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...via-adb-unable-boot-up-phone.html#post5463741

So, it may be that you just need a good battery pack in order to get to Recovery/Bootloader/Fastboot etc. if the phone will not start or start to Safestrap.

Ye, except my phone doesn't even show the motorola logo, and I can't even get to the bootloader menu

edit: and it doesn't explain why I was able to get to the charge screen without battery at first, but not now

Last edited:

DoubleYouPee

Jul 28, 2011
Right now I'm having the same problem, I could enter safetrap for now (after 10 attempts)

I tried at least 30x now no difference

The worst part is using my Samsung Jet "Smarter than a smartphone". Which isn't even close to a smartphone because it doesn't have any of the OSes = no apps :(

Emacore

Mar 6, 2011
Salta
In my XT860 in its power when it reaches the lockscreen, restarts or shuts.
When I put it to charge my battery shows 0% and charging. When I go to Safestrap-after several attempts-, battery shows 99% or sometimes 80%.
I think the cpu wants to leave the world of technology :crying:

edit: yeah, now i get infinite bootloops in the M DualCore LOL

Last edited:

DoubleYouPee

Jul 28, 2011
In my XT860 in its power when it reaches the lockscreen, restarts or shuts.
When I put it to charge my battery shows 0% and charging. When I go to Safestrap-after several attempts-, battery shows 99% or sometimes 80%.
I think the cpu wants to leave the world of technology :crying:

edit: yeah, now i get infinite bootloops in the M DualCore LOL

Well at least yours sounds like a software issue. Just wipe

Emacore

Mar 6, 2011
Salta
No, I can not turn it on, I can not enter bptools, I can not use RSD, nothing! Just lucky I managed to get a few seconds to safestrap

DoubleYouPee

Jul 28, 2011
hi Doubleyp

try to see if it starts with a factory cable (like the Team black hat one) (no need for battery)

if it starts then its the battery

I tried the stock cable that came with my phone (USB) but nothing happens. Screen doesn't even go on.
The light next to the microUSB does go on.

But my phone has never booted with USB (0.5A). When my battery was 0% I always needed a socket charger because it wouldn't go on and charge with USB

When I then insert battery and try again with stock cable same happens as in the video

Last edited:

Endoroid

Aug 28, 2011
Surrey
I tried the stock cable that came with my phone (USB) but nothing happens. Screen doesn't even go on.

But my phone has never booted with USB (0.5A). When my battery was 0% I always needed a socket charger because it wouldn't go on and charge with USB

When I then insert battery and try again with stock cable same happens as in the video

The stock cable and a factory programming cable are not the same

DoubleYouPee

Jul 28, 2011
The stock cable and a factory programming cable are not the same

Ah I see. Well I'm not in the US so getting one would be a PITA
I'm gonna try my spare battery (original battery) tomorrow. It that doesn't work it must be hardware related because I haven't flashed or done anything to it so it's not softbricked or something.

edit: it team blackhat do send to europe? How would this be different from trying another (working) battery?

MrObvious

Mar 1, 2008
Wichita KS
Try cutting a USB cable open, hook the red wire to the + of the battery and - to the black and let it charge that way. Also, do you have any MicroUSB charger? I have one for a BB Bold I used to have that delivers I think 1.25A and it could charge my phone from dead (obviously not now with the flex cable having a rip in it).

Skreelink

Nov 28, 2010

The little light next to the USB port is the 'It's still alive" light that Moto put in when the battery is completely dead. It's to let you know that the phone *is* charging, just not high enough to boot the phone (i.e. when you let the battery completely die).

WHY they did not make it a standard charging light (like the D1 and D2) I don't know, but that's the only time it comes on. A quick flicker on USB plugin, or when the battery is dead. The light goes out when it gets enough power to boot up.

DoubleYouPee

Jul 28, 2011
The little light next to the USB port is the 'It's still alive" light that Moto put in when the battery is completely dead. It's to let you know that the phone *is* charging, just not high enough to boot the phone (i.e. when you let the battery completely die).

WHY they did not make it a standard charging light (like the D1 and D2) I don't know, but that's the only time it comes on. A quick flicker on USB plugin, or when the battery is dead. The light goes out when it gets enough power to boot up.

Well, it's not charging because there's no battery :p, the light it still on
I really dont see how its the battery because when I put it in without cable the screen turns on and stays on for as long as I keep the battery in. So it HAS power. Today I'm getting my spare battery and we'll see I guess..... don't have my hopes up

Buckaru11

Oct 31, 2010
Sioux City
My daughters D3 was doing the same thing,me being not ready to dig into a phone yet ,took to a local repair shop, they checked it out and found it had a bad LCD,should get back Friday, sorry for the bad news,just thought you would like some insight.

Sent from my Droid 3 using xda app-developers app

DoubleYouPee

Jul 28, 2011
My daughters D3 was doing the same thing,me being not ready to dig into a phone yet ,took to a local repair shop, they checked it out and found it had a bad LCD,should get back Friday, sorry for the bad news,just thought you would like some insight.

Sent from my Droid 3 using xda app-developers app

Thanks. But should it turn on when the LCD is bad? It doesn't even boot else It would vibrate once.
Can anyone confirm that the phone should boot when I remove the LCD alltogether? Else it might be a bad LCD or loose connector