[SOLVED] Android is updating message on every restart after kernel upgrade

739 posts
Thanks Meter: 213

By KronicSkillz, Senior Member on 5th March 2013, 08:40 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
21st January 2014, 01:39 AM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
i' on moto g kk and with this F++ annoying problem. already tried wyping cahes, odex files, uninstalling titanium backup etc and nada. every time i do a reboot here comes "android is upgrading - optimising app x of x".

Any KK's with the same problem?
21st January 2014, 10:37 AM |#32  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Same here
I 've tried to find solution to this problem but no luck.
I have no .dex or .odex files in my app/data the only odex file i have is the default apps like telephony calendar etc...and i think that's not the problem because when it started it said "Android updating... app 1 out of 25" and now it says 1 out of 40 (i've installed some new ones!) and every time i install another it says 1 out 41 42 end so!!!!
That think came up after upadting my phone through the update.app procedure I don't really know if this has to do with kernels as you say here!
Can anyone help me or suggest me what to look for. In the beggining it was very short...but now after 50 apps it gets very annoying!
22nd January 2014, 06:27 PM |#33  
Thanks Meter: 138

More
Solution in my case: Lucky Pacher > Toolbox > Remove all odex files ( /data/app and system/app ). And second reboot after that no "Android is upgrading".
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mairo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mairo Ad-Free
12th February 2014, 02:44 PM |#34  
Flag Parijs van Java
Thanks Meter: 165

More
Thumbs up
just by changing every odex permissions in data/app to rw-rw-rw fixes these annoying pop up away
thanks button pressed!
The Following User Says Thank You to groovepeppy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift groovepeppy Ad-Free
15th April 2014, 02:40 PM |#35  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KronicSkillz

after wiping dalvik cache to flash a kernel....

this problem is caused when there are .odex files in /data/app folder than have permissions set so system can no write to them during the optimization process. There may be other causes, but this is the leading cause, i read about 15 threads on this, for alot of people its the app titanium backup odex file that causes the issue but there can be other programs. for these people the fix is uninstall and reinstall titanium backup. for me, i used es file explorer (root req) and i deleted any .odex (in data/app) that i found that didn't have write permissions for the system, i found two odex files that were rw- r-- r-- and deleted them. then i rebooted and the android is upgrading message did not come back (after 2nd reboot) at this point i reinstalled the two apps that had the odex files without w permission for system.

i assume the problem could also be fixed by changing the permissions on the odex files without having to reinstall them, but if the permissions were set like that for a reason, you'll want to set it back to rw- r-- r-- after you stop getting the android is upgrading message at bootup.

cheers guys, just made this thread because the other 15 threads i read on this topic were all lacking in useful information.

note: some outdated versions of ICS are known to have an issue where the system scans EVERY app on EVERY restart, this fix does not fix that. if your phone is rescanning EVERY app and not just the ones with odex w permission off then you need to update your ics version or get a custom rom that is up to date to fix this.

Thanks a lot my friend.... this was the exact problem of mine and the solution too
3rd July 2014, 09:53 PM |#36  
Thanks Meter: 202

More
Good skillz!

He's right about ICS. It is buggy. If you can grab JB or KK then do it asap. Just posting in here so this won't become irrelevant to those who need this information and this is so far the best thread that solves Android is Upgrading issue. These apps will cause problems.

titanium backup
lucky patcher
system cleaner

If you want to clean up your system, do it in Recovery. Wipe Cache, Wipe Dalvik. This does not have to be done often but it is good to do so before doing a backup, so when you restore, your system starts up fresh.
20th July 2014, 06:32 AM |#37  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Thumbs up
"removed"
12th December 2014, 03:21 PM |#38  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
i was living same problem and i unistalled titanium back up and solved.

i tried lucky patcher remove all odex files but it didint solved my problem but removing titanium backup solved
thank you
14th January 2015, 05:53 PM |#39  
Thanks Meter: 43

Donate to Me
More
I know of another reason why you might be seeing "android is upgrading" on every boot.
If you have link2sd, and are running a deodexed ROM, then uncheck the option for (link dex files at boot) in the app.... it worked for me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_prodigal_coder For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift the_prodigal_coder Ad-Free
16th March 2015, 02:33 PM |#40  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Wink Lollipop N9005 with repeating updates - Solved
Hello, hopefully this will help somebody out there. I am on Lollipop on N9005, i had thirtysomething applications updating in every reboot and in play store there were always thirtysomething applications waiting to be updated after that. Whenever i was updating the applications (all updates successful) and reboot - i was getting the android updating at boot - and back to play store - there were those applications ready to be updated again - and it was actually a loop. The problem beside that - is that around 10GB of storage space vanished from internal memory without any reason - so i started checking out on what was causing this. I found this thread - but removing titanium backup, setting RW permissions, and removing odex files didn't help my case. However I figured a way out on my own after reading some programming forums on how android does it's upgrades.

Steps:
Make sure you have root access and use ES file explorer. Go to /data/app folder. In there you'll see (as it was in my faulty case) foldernameofthefaultyapp-1, foldernameofthefaultyapp-2, foldernameofthefaultyapp-3 etc. I had several applications going going over -20. Find the folder of the app with the most recent date. That is the folder you want to keep. Delete the rest of the similar named folders. Then rename the folder you kept to nameofthefaultyapp-1 (if it's any other number than -1). Restart the phone. You shouldn't see that the application needs to update anymore. Repeat for all the other problematic applications (or do them all at once)

PS: If you delete all the folders in /data/app will be like removing the programs. Just delete the folders that appear multiple times and keep the most recent instance of them.
The Following User Says Thank You to awechris For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift awechris Ad-Free
30th March 2015, 05:28 PM |#41  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by KronicSkillz

after wiping dalvik cache to flash a kernel....

this problem is caused when there are .odex files in /data/app folder than have permissions set so system can no write to them during the optimization process. There may be other causes, but this is the leading cause, i read about 15 threads on this, for alot of people its the app titanium backup odex file that causes the issue but there can be other programs. for these people the fix is uninstall and reinstall titanium backup. for me, i used es file explorer (root req) and i deleted any .odex (in data/app) that i found that didn't have write permissions for the system, i found two odex files that were rw- r-- r-- and deleted them. then i rebooted and the android is upgrading message did not come back (after 2nd reboot) at this point i reinstalled the two apps that had the odex files without w permission for system.

i assume the problem could also be fixed by changing the permissions on the odex files without having to reinstall them, but if the permissions were set like that for a reason, you'll want to set it back to rw- r-- r-- after you stop getting the android is upgrading message at bootup.

cheers guys, just made this thread because the other 15 threads i read on this topic were all lacking in useful information.

note: some outdated versions of ICS are known to have an issue where the system scans EVERY app on EVERY restart, this fix does not fix that. if your phone is rescanning EVERY app and not just the ones with odex w permission off then you need to update your ics version or get a custom rom that is up to date to fix this.

I have installed Facebook app and after restart it always says android is upgrading.
I tried reinstalling but same No Luck...
I searched root I found many .Odex files CyanogenSetupWizard, CMAccount, etc. Should I delete them will that cause any problem.
Actually I don't found anything regarding Facebook though.
And also you said give permissions to .Odex files and all can you explain the process to do so.
Thanks in Adv.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)