FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[RELEASE]GemRB - Infinity Engine recreation(Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale,Planescape:T)

56 posts
Thanks Meter: 49

By bartekxyz, Member on 5th March 2013, 10:27 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
GemRB is project aimed to recreate Infinity Engine which was developed by Bioware and used in one of the greatest cRPG's of all time: Baldur's Gate 1&2, Icewind Dale 1&2 and Planescape: Torment. Now you can play all mentioned games on your tablet as I succesfully ported GemRB to Windows RT. To run GemRB you need to unpack my archive, install desired game on you regular PC, then copy whole installed content to ./GemRB/games folder and finally edit the gemrb.cfg(which is well commented so I'm not going to explain it). Performance wise, games are playable, older ones run full speed while newer ones encouter stutters here and there but still plays nicely. And that's all. Have fun

>>>>GemRB<<<<

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bartekxyz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bartekxyz Ad-Free

5th March 2013, 10:47 PM |#2  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 10

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartekxyz

Sorry for teasing you but I ported GemRB engine which let's you play best Bioware's RPG like Baldur's Gate 1&2, Icewind Dale and more. Loading is a bit slow but game itself is smooth and very enjoyable. I said "teasing" because I'm not going to release it yet. I need to clean things a bit so be patient.

What a Great news ! Thanks a lot for the effort ! Looking forward to it
6th March 2013, 04:57 AM |#3  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,947

More
DO WANT! I've been trying to get BG2 (well, TuTu actually - BG1 on the BG2 engine) running on the x86 emulator, but a native port would be fantastic!
6th March 2013, 11:51 AM |#4  
Flag Beijing
Thanks Meter: 18

More
love BG2 so much! can the game run in full screen?
6th March 2013, 11:58 AM |#5  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wy328

love BG2 so much! can the game run in full screen?

Yes, it can. I think that it will be ready to publish in few hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to bartekxyz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bartekxyz Ad-Free
6th March 2013, 01:52 PM |#6  
Flag Beijing
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartekxyz

Yes, it can. I think that it will be ready to publish in few hours.

waitting...thanks for your nice work
6th March 2013, 07:18 PM |#7  
OP Member

More
updated first post with link.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bartekxyz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bartekxyz Ad-Free
7th March 2013, 11:16 PM |#8  
Flag New York, NY
Thanks Meter: 12

More
This is awesome..!!!! Major Kudos for porting this!
8th March 2013, 06:55 AM |#9  
Flag Seattle

More
Hmm... it appears to mostly work, but I'm getting some odd errors. Note that I'm using the "tutu" mod for BG, which runs BG1 and BG2 sequentially, both in the BG2 engine; this could be the cause of some or even all of these issues. The cfg file is configured for BG2.
1. Touch doesn't work right (it acts sort of like a joystick controlling the mouse) on TouchFeedback=0. On any other level, there's no mouse pointer visible at all, and touch doesn't appear to do anything either
2. The display is corrupted at 1366x768 (UI elements not where they belong, panning is messed up, the "HUD" flickers in and out of view) even though the widescreen support is installed.
3. At 1024x768, the pause button is not visible in the UI.
4. (BIG PROBLEM) When I talk to people, the dialog text does not appear (either what they say to me, or what I may respond). This makes productive interaction with NPCs effectively impossible.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GoodDayToDie Ad-Free
8th March 2013, 12:53 PM |#10  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie

Hmm... it appears to mostly work, but I'm getting some odd errors. Note that I'm using the "tutu" mod for BG, which runs BG1 and BG2 sequentially, both in the BG2 engine; this could be the cause of some or even all of these issues. The cfg file is configured for BG2.
1. Touch doesn't work right (it acts sort of like a joystick controlling the mouse) on TouchFeedback=0. On any other level, there's no mouse pointer visible at all, and touch doesn't appear to do anything either
2. The display is corrupted at 1366x768 (UI elements not where they belong, panning is messed up, the "HUD" flickers in and out of view) even though the widescreen support is installed.
3. At 1024x768, the pause button is not visible in the UI.
4. (BIG PROBLEM) When I talk to people, the dialog text does not appear (either what they say to me, or what I may respond). This makes productive interaction with NPCs effectively impossible.

1. All values on touchfeedback bigger than 0 hide pointer as then your finger is supposed to act as one, it's like that on purpose. Also touch doesn't work right in fullscreen as I used sdl library compiled by netham45 which has this issue, just try dosbox or any other app which uses sdl and is compiled for WinRT. I tried compiling sdl2 which from what I read have some advanced touch procedures and GemRB take advantage of it, Unfortunately I failed.
2. About widescreen mod, I can't tell if there are issues because i haven't used this mod.
3. In 1024x768 everything is good for me.
4. GemRB has some problems with writing ini files. Even if you set ingame options to you liking it's going to write strange values in. Just look at gem-baldur.ini in game foder and see that all values are either very high or always "0", that's why subtitles are turned off. I thought it's strictly related only to my build but when I tried to run gemrb on my win8 laptop, it produces same corrupted values. Nobody know why(including gemrb makers).
8th March 2013, 10:38 PM |#11  
Flag Seattle

More
Ah, thanks for the tip on touch not working in fullscreen. Annoying that it can't just treat touch like a mouse pointer the way the Windows desktop does, though.
I'll mess with resolutions a bit more, see what I can find out.
At 1024x768 fullscreen, all UI elements except for the left control bar (minus the pause button) and main view are missing in-game unless I click one of those left buttons. No dialog, no shop interface, no event logging, no party/status/HP info.
At 1366x768 fullscreen, the UI flickers in and out as I move the mouse, but it still renders in the wrong places and I still can't talk to people.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)