FORUMS

[Q] Best Android browser for offline reading?

38 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By Philippe Lemay, Member on 6th March 2013, 02:24 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
What is the best browser on Android at the moment for simple web-page saving so I can read things offline? I know that most of the browsers will store tabs in their memory (so I can load a web page and so long as I don't close the tab it will stay there) but I'd like a bit more organization in my offline content.

I did find Offline Browser Pro, which does the job... but it makes the files WAY too big. When saving a website offline it gives you the option of "max depth level for links" which I assume means how far into the website I want to save. When I put too little depth, it looks like a lot of pictures are missing. When I put them too high the folder that holds the whole website is way too huge (near the top I think it was 2 GB per website). Also it's very slow... Ideally I'd just want a browser that can save individual webpages (but all of them, pictures included, even if it's just thumbnails) and store them in a nice little folder somewhere in the phone's memory. Not to sound too much like an iSheep... but back on my iPod Touch there was an app called Atomic Browser, it was just perfect! You could save full HTML webpages, and the pictures they held, and tuck them away in a hierarchy of folders. I gathered up a veritable stack of webpages for reading on the bus, like a virtual magazine rack in my pocket. Something like that would be perfect.

I'm on a Nexus 4, Android 4.2.2, 16GB, though really only 12.5 of those are free to use, and I already have 9GB or so of music. So I can't very well fit many websites like that. This is the site I'm trying it on at the moment by the way, it's awesome: http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/index.php
6th March 2013, 05:43 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Use Opera Mini web browser.
You can save webpages and see offline with pictures.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kyawzaw For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kyawzaw Ad-Free
8th March 2013, 02:11 AM |#3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Oh... that's almost perfect. It's funny I looked at Opera but I didn't see the save page option. I also tried Dolphin browser and Boat browser (as well as Chrome of course).

The only nitpicks I have with it is that you can't sort them into folders, or even shuffle them around. They're listed as you add them and that's it... which is kind of inconvenient if I have 100+ saved pages. At any rate, thanks for pointing that out. I just hope that the Opera team eventually adds better sorting for their saved pages.
8th March 2013, 02:18 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Opera Mini
8th March 2013, 04:51 AM |#5  
Flag ......a galaxy far far away.....Erie, PA
Thanks Meter: 179

More
Re: [Q] Best Android browser for offline reading?
I just use Firefox and save webpages as PDFs
8th March 2013, 05:23 AM |#6  
Los Angeles, California
Thanks Meter: 662

More
Re: [Q] Best Android browser for offline reading?
Another alternative that's not a Web browser though, is Pocket. Saves for offline reading and you can access it from your phone, tablet, or even computer

Sent from my SGH-I777 running AOKP
24th April 2013, 07:45 PM |#7  

More
Wink
This add-on to the Android web browser match exactly your needs: Beansoft - ICS Browser Plus (cf. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ft.browserplus )

You can set a webpage as offline to read it later (like in the subway where there is no internet access).
It is very easy to do, you can do it as you bookmark a page.

I using this every day.
14th May 2013, 11:31 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Here is what I don't understand. Chrome is a browser for Android, and there is not an option, save for offline reading. Yet, the stock web browser which is IE, offers that option. I guess I am ditching the Chrome browser for now.
15th May 2013, 02:11 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 49

More
You can use opera mini.

Sent from my MT11i using xda app-developers app
15th May 2013, 03:18 PM |#10  
Flag Edmond
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonarev

Another alternative that's not a Web browser though, is Pocket. Saves for offline reading and you can access it from your phone, tablet, or even computer

Sent from my SGH-I777 running AOKP

This is what I use as well. You can also sort the things you put into your Pocket via tagging them.
15th May 2013, 06:17 PM |#11  

More
Use the nice Dolphin web browser, and install the Dophin add-on Screen Cut.
You can take screenshot of the entire webpage for offline reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Sent]

This is what I use as well. You can also sort the things you put into your Pocket via tagging them.

What is this app? what it's name. "pocket" ?!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, atomic browser, nexus 4, offline

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)