FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

a500 car charger

27 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By partin_us_99, Junior Member on 13th March 2013, 05:20 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Has anyone torn down a car charger to direct wire the car charger into a vehicle?

13th March 2013, 09:57 PM |#2  
Flag Bavaro, La Alta Gracia, RD
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Why not just use an inverter and plug it into that?
17th March 2013, 10:14 AM |#3  
Flag Silicon Valley, Ca
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Cool Car Charger
Quote:
Originally Posted by partin_us_99

Has anyone torn down a car charger to direct wire the car charger into a vehicle?

Why tear one down. You would have to completely redesign and rebuild it. The plug and wire is about all you would be able to use.
This is kinda pricey but I think this is what you want:
powerstream. com/ADC-p006. htm PST-YD100W

There is a couple of things to consider.
1. A car electrical system typically runs from about 9 volts on the low side to about 15 volts on the high side taking in consideration noise spikes maybe more in very short spikes.
2. your tablet is designed to run very close to 12 volts probably + or - 5% or 11.4 to 12.6 volts it may work okay up to + & - 10% or may not.
3. the adapter must be able to supply 12 volts @ at least 1.5 amps - you can find this value on your AC Adapter that came with your tablet.

So while the car may still run down to ~10 volts the tablet would likely have problems. Regulators normally take the input voltage and use a couple of volts to regulate. So if the input is 12 volts the output is going to be around 10 volts - to low for the tablet to work reliably. In most cases the car regulator when charging outputs around 14.4 volts. That on the other hand would work. One solution and the one I believe is used by the device from the power stream website is to use a voltage multiplier or DC to DC converter that amplifies the voltage then regulates it down to what is needed.

By the way it also comes with a bunch of plug adapters to match the jack on the tablet.

Regards,

- Phil
17th March 2013, 05:17 PM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Re: a500 car charger
Found an article on hard wiring it with an add a circuit so I'm gonna do that. This isn't my first car wiring rodeo so it'll work. Thanks for all the replies I'll keep y'all updated

Sent from my GT-N7005 using xda app-developers app
17th March 2013, 11:31 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
I used an old Nokia 636 plug that I had that has the 3X1mm tip needed and spliced it into a mini usb car adapter, that was for my Tilt2 at the time, right after the fuse so I could power my phone and A500 simultaneously. It's been working fine for over a year and a half, I still use the Tilt2 as my dash cam. The Tilt2 plug also has an extra full usb port and friends and family will occasionally use that to charge their phones on trips so that one plug powers 3 devices and works fine.

So go for it, you will be fine.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)