FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

CWM 6.0.2.8 for Allwinner A10 & A13 Tablets - v2a

492 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,023

By dolorespark, Senior Member on 14th March 2013, 02:15 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Below are six different flavors of CWM-based Recovery v6.0.2.8 for devices that use Allwinner A10 and A13 chips and are running Android 4.x. If you're unsure whether one of them is appropriate for your device, see "Which version should I choose?", below.

Unlike some versions, these will not erase the partition or SD card containing the update.zip that's just been installed. Also, the "wipe data/factory reset" option will not erase your internal SD card ('/emmc'). The button assignments should be what you'd expect: Vol- / Vol+ move the highlight up or down, Power selects, and any other button acts as a Back button. If your tablet has capacitive (touch) buttons and uses an ft5x touchscreen controller, they should act as Back buttons as well.

Installation

The files are packaged as update zips and can be installed from your existing stock or CWM recovery. Alternately, you can unzip the file and install it from a normally-booted system using a script.

From Recovery: Copy the entire file still zipped to your internal or external (removable) SD card. Reboot into Recovery, then choose 'install zip from sdcard'. Root access is not required if CWM is installed this way.

From a Running System: Unzip the file and copy recovery.img and install-recovery.sh to your internal or external SD card. Next, either run "adb shell" or open the Terminal app, then change the directory to where you stored the files. If you're using Terminal, start by running "su" to get root access (you may already have it if using adb). Now, type in "sh install-recovery.sh" then press Enter. Messages will appear telling you whether it succeeded or failed.

Which version should I choose?

Do I have an A10 or A13? From an adb shell or from the Terminal Emulator app, run "cat /proc/cpuinfo". Look next to the 'Hardware' entry: it should say either "sun4i" (A10) or "sun5i" (A13). If it says anything else, don't use these files.

Do I have 9, 10, or 11 partitions? From an adb shell or from the Terminal Emulator app, run "cat /proc/partitions". If the last of the "nand" entries is "nandi", you have 9; if it's "nandj", you have 10; if it's "nandk", you have 11. If you choose the wrong version, everything else will work correctly but CWM won't be able to mount your internal SD card (a.k.a. '/emmc'). If so, try installing the other version.

IMPORTANT: If your device has 8 or fewer partitions (i.e the last one is "nandh") do not install this version. It will end up in the wrong partition and likely require the entire ROM to be reflashed.

Booting into (CWM) Recovery

Getting into Recovery should be simple but sometimes it isn't. Try these methods in the order listed:
  1. With the tablet off, press and hold both Vol+ and Power. It may take 10 seconds or more for the first logo or icon to appear.
  2. With the tablet on and booted normally, press and hold the Power button until the tablet turns off - ignore the Shutdown popup. Now, try method #1 again.
  3. From an adb shell prompt or from the Terminal Emulator app, enter
    "echo -e 'boot-recovery\0' > /dev/block/nandf; sync"
    (note: that's a "backslash zero" in the line above)
    Now, press and hold Power until the tablet turns off, then turn it back on normally (i.e. no buttons pressed).
If none of the above work, post a question - perhaps someone else has a better solution.

(Edit: Previously, I'd said that "adb reboot recovery" should also do the trick but I've never had it succeed. I was mistaken: it does work on my A10 tablet but not on my A13. You may want to try it as an alternative to the suggestions above.)

Updates
  • v2
    • assigned additional key values to the navigation (up/down) functions, so each key should do something (if the various buttons on your tablet don't generate "standard" values", there's no way to predict what each will do until you test them)
    • fixed the syntax error in install-recovery.sh
    • fixed the reboot recovery menu item on the Advanced menu
  • v2a
    • added versions for tablets with 11 partitions
Attached Files
File Type: zip cwm6028-a10-9part-v2.zip - [Click for QR Code] (6.14 MB, 60797 views)
File Type: zip cwm6028-a10-10part-v2.zip - [Click for QR Code] (6.14 MB, 36670 views)
File Type: zip cwm6028-a13-9part-v2.zip - [Click for QR Code] (6.30 MB, 58510 views)
File Type: zip cwm6028-a13-10part-v2.zip - [Click for QR Code] (6.30 MB, 74111 views)
File Type: zip cwm6028-a10-11part-v2.zip - [Click for QR Code] (6.14 MB, 30670 views)
File Type: zip cwm6028-a13-11part-v2.zip - [Click for QR Code] (6.30 MB, 68784 views)
The Following 102 Users Say Thank You to dolorespark For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dolorespark Ad-Free

14th March 2013, 08:48 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolorespark

Below are four different flavors of CWM-based Recovery v6.0.2.8 for devices that use Allwinner A10 and A13 chips. If you're unsure whether one of them is appropriate for your device, see "Do I have an A10 or A13?", below.

Unlike some versions, these will not erase the partition or SD card containing the update.zip that's just been installed. Also, the "wipe data/factory reset" option will not erase your internal SD card ('/emmc'). The button assignments should be what you'd expect: Vol- / Vol+ move the highlight up or down, Power selects, and any other button acts as a Back button. If your tablet has capacitive (touch) buttons and uses an ft5x touchscreen controller, they should act as Back buttons as well.

Installation

The files are packaged as update zips and can be installed from your existing stock or CWM recovery. Alternately, you can unzip the file and install it from a normally-booted system using a script.

From Recovery: Copy the entire file still zipped to your internal or external (removable) SD card. Reboot into Recovery, then choose 'install zip from sdcard'. Root access is not required if CWM is installed this way.

From a Running System: Unzip the file and copy recovery.img and install-recovery.sh to your internal or external SD card. Next, either run "adb shell" or open the Terminal app, then change the directory to where you stored the files. If you're using Terminal, start by running "su" to get root access (you may already have it if using adb). Now, type in "sh install-recovery.sh" then press Enter. Messages will appear telling you whether it succeeded or failed.

Which version should I choose?

Do I have an A10 or A13? From an adb shell or from the Terminal Emulator app, run "cat /proc/cpuinfo". Look next to the 'Hardware' entry: it should say either "sun4i" (A10) or "sun5i" (A13). If it says anything else, don't use these files.

Do I have 9 or 10 partitions? From an adb shell or from the Terminal Emulator app, run "cat /proc/partitions". If the last entry is "nandi", you have 9; if it's "nandj", you have 10. If you choose the wrong version, everything else will work correctly but CWM won't be able to mount your internal SD card (a.k.a. '/emmc'). If so, try installing the other version.

Booting into (CWM) Recovery

Getting into Recovery should be simple but sometimes it isn't. Try these methods in the order listed:

1. With the tablet off, press and hold both Vol+ and Power. It may take 10 seconds or more for the first logo or icon to appear.
  2. With the tablet on and booted normally, press and hold the Power button until the tablet turns off - ignore the Shutdown popup. Now, try method #1 again.
  3. From an adb shell prompt or from the Terminal Emulator app, enter
    "echo -e 'boot-recovery\0' > /dev/block/nandf; sync" (note: that's a "backslash zero" in there)
    Now, press and hold Power until the tablet turns off, then turn it back on normally (i.e. no buttons pressed).
If none of the above work, post a question - perhaps someone else has a better solution. (Note: "adb reboot recovery" should also do the trick but I've never had it succeed.)

I'm getting a syntax error when executing the script - syntax error: '(' unexpected

EDIT: removed the parenthesis from the script using notepad, it ran fine. Thanks!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fbueller For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fbueller Ad-Free
16th March 2013, 01:32 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Hi,

Thanks for your work on this!!

No mount cache errors! woohoo!

Couple of things I needed to do on my tab (Cheap china a10 closest stock firmware mapad mx19a)

removed (dopa) from the install-recover.sh (notepad) including brackets
No luck with the hardware keys for navigation so pluged in a keyboard and after reboot cursor keys work.

Had no luck yet on installing a CWM firmware, goes through the steps of installing, reboots, get first logo but then sits on black screen (can just see the back light glow left it overnight but no change.)

But at least I've made a big step forward with your CWM recovery...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andyj_mochdre For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift andyj_mochdre Ad-Free
16th March 2013, 11:37 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Sorry about the error in install-recovery.sh - the phrase to be echoed should have been in quotes. I'll fix that and repost the packages.

Solving the problems some people have with hardware keys is a bit trickier. On most tablets, the Vol- and Vol+ buttons generate standard numeric values (114 & 115) normally assigned to the "Volume Down" and "Volume Up" functions. However, on some tablets these buttons may generate other values. Currently, this version use the "Volume Down/Up" values for navigation and any other value as the "Back" button. I'll reassign some of these other values to the navigation functions so each button should do something.
20th March 2013, 02:09 AM |#5  
Flag newcastle
Thanks Meter: 130

More
Re: CWM 6.0.2.8 for Allwinner A10 & A13 Tablets - v2
Flashed it perfect no issues apart from vol+ is down and vice verser

Sent from my GT-S5830 using xda app-developers app
20th March 2013, 05:32 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewy

Flashed it perfect no issues apart from vol+ is down and vice verser

In an earlier version, the volume keys worked as you might prefer. However, a fair number of people complained they were backwards - and I had to agree. In most people's minds, '+' means progress or proceed away from the point of origin (in this case, downwards), while '-' means regress or return to the point of origin. I guess it's a matter of how your brain is wired...
20th March 2013, 09:52 AM |#7  
Flag copenhagen
Thanks Meter: 255

More
Hi all

Sorry I asking but, will this works on:
Android 4.0 Tablet PC 5 Point Capacitive A13 1.2GHz
And if yes is there a ROM for that?

Thx in advance
21st March 2013, 03:37 AM |#8  
Flag suroboyo
Thanks Meter: 1

More
it's work on my Q7033 A13
the VOL- / VOL+ is reverse , HOME button is "back" and POWER is enter/execute

cannot start get to recovery using any combo keys though, so i had to boot normally and go to settings then choose reboot into recovery from there. Haven't tried rebooter or ROM toolbox etc

Edited:
can't get out of test key,
the home button that function as "back" now only showing
Code:
key: 102
21st March 2013, 12:23 PM |#9  
Flag newcastle
Thanks Meter: 130

More
Re: CWM 6.0.2.8 for Allwinner A10 & A13 Tablets - v2
Try holding vol+ and power when your pad is on I get a menu saying go to recovery and rom toolbox just reboots mine

Sent from my GT-S5830 using xda app-developers app
23rd March 2013, 10:15 AM |#10  
Flag Ovronnaz
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Thumbs up
total awesomeness!

i brought a MPman MP700 (Allwinner A13) and i was suprized to see 1. it was stock rooted 2. recovery was accessible from option "save and reset"

i totaly loved the "identification" with term (wich confirmed sun51 and Nandj)

also if you want to find the proc model in a simpler way juste DL Antutu benchmark (it score 3k+ wich it isnt so bad for that pricerange)
i have a zip with all needed to install official playstore on those tabs (let me know if you want a dropbox or box link and a "mini-tuto" about it.)

for finding partition... well i guess only term emulator or Fatboobs.... oops fastboot do the trick.
2nd April 2013, 11:04 AM |#11  
Recognized Contributor
Flag HARDA
Thanks Meter: 1,544

Donate to Me
More
hey how did u pull stock recovery please can u tell me ?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
a10, a13, allwinner, cwm 6.0.2.8

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)