[GUIDE][INFO] CronMod-INT2EXT(+) --> How To Use, What To Use, etc...

3,260 posts
Thanks Meter: 691

By Lt.Win, Senior Member on 14th March 2013, 02:24 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Introduction:
I have written this tutorial because many people especially in legacy ARMv6 or older device forums suffer from low internal storage. Out of those, some do not know how to increase their internal memory, some use the wrong scripts and get problems, and some, well, do it right. This tutorial is not just meant for all of us, but for anyone who has these problems, or just wants to know some things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by croniccorey

About:

CronMod INT2EXT was wrote for use in my rom with the goal to achive a stable and fast way of moving the data partition of your phone to the sd-ext partition, they are available for all users and developers to use in any rooted rom with init.d support.

CronMod INT2EXT scripts are the first universal INT2EXT method released.

Features:
(All scripts are tested on Android 2.3.7 - 4.2.2)

INT2EXT
-Mounts /sd-ext to /data
-Works with EXT 2/3/4 filesystems
-ZipAligns /data/app on every boot
-No symlinks

INT2EXT+
-Mounts /sd-ext to /data
-Leaves /data/data on internal for speed
-No symlinks

INT2EXT4
-Mounts /sd-ext to /data
-Works with EXT 4 filesystem
-No symlinks

INT2EXT4+
-Mounts /sd-ext to /data
-Works with EXT 4 filesystem
-No symlinks

INT2EXTV2+
-Mounts /sd-ext to /data
-No symlinks
-Supports SWAP2INT
-Completely universal (Testing is needed)

Prerequisites:

-Rooted Rom with init.d support
-SD-EXT partition
-100mb internal is needed for every 500mb sd-ext

SD Card Partitioning:

Partition 1 - Fat32
Partition 2 - Ext 2/3/4

Install:
(Instructions based on ClockWorkMod recovery)
-Download Chosen Script Below
-Place on root of your sdcard
-Reboot Recovery
-Select "install zip from sdcard"
-Select "choose zip from sdcard"
-Select "CronMod-****_signed"
-Select "mounts and storage" category
-Select "format /sd-ext"
-Reboot

(if you already use a A2SD/D2EXT/INT2EXT/M2SD script then you will need to remove it completely)

That's about it on croniccorey's side. Now, onto the basics.

What is INT2EXT?

Basically, INT2EXT is an init.d script which increases your internal memory according to the size of your EXT partition.

How do I use it?

Prerequisites and install instructions are above.

Which Script do I choose?

Now, this is the topic I would like to stress upon. Croniccorey has a bunch of nice scripts, and obviously it is difficult to choose, when you know close to or absolutely nothing of these scripts.

Alright, so let's look at each of these scripts and what they do, again.

Quote:

INT2EXT
-Mounts /sd-ext to /data
-No symlinks

INT2EXT+
-Mounts /sd-ext to /data
-No symlinks

INT2EXTV2+
-Mounts /sd-ext to /data
-No symlinks
-Supports SWAP2INT
-Completely universal (Testing is needed)

Note: I have not included INT2EXT4(+) because they're the same thing, only that they support ONLY EXT4.

Now, let's talk about INT2EXT+ first, as that's what majority of Wildfire S users have.

My opinion:

Not such a good choice for some people. Look at it again.

Quote:

INT2EXT+
-Mounts /sd-ext to /data

Agreed, the red part is done for speed, but this STILL keeps some part of your data on your REAL INTERNAL MEMORY. This is exactly why croniccorey has stated in the prerequisites:

Quote:

-100mb internal is needed for every 500mb sd-ext

This means that every 100MB of real internal memory you have, it is equivalent to 500MB of your EXT partition.

To be more clear -

Our phone has 150MB of internal memory. This means, that if you use INT2EXT+ and have a 1GB partition for example, and if you install loads of apps, it's going to say "Storage Full" on around 750MB. That means, the remaining is practically waste and you can actually use only 750MB. This is why, if you are going to install loads of apps, you can use 750MB only, with this script.

Now then, let's move on to INT2EXT.

Quote:

-Mounts /sd-ext to /data
-No symlinks

Now, you can see that there's no leaving /data/data on internal for speed. This means that your phone will become slightly laggier.
But, if you have, say, a 2GB EXT Partition and flash this script, you get the FULL 2GB to use / torture / whatever as per your wish. No catches, only con is that it becomes slightly laggier (only on some ROMs, notably on stock).

My Opinion:
If you're ready to live with some more lag, (which we're all used to, anyway) and have loads of apps on your phone which won't fit in 750MB of space, then INT2EXT is for you.

Final Verdict:

-If you're not a heavy apps installer and can happily live with 750MB of space (which is enough for most people), go for INT2EXT+. This will make your phone less laggier than INT2EXT.

-If you are a heavy apps / widgets / whatever installer, and 750MB isn't enough for you, go for INT2EXT. This will, however, make your phone slightly laggier (as aforementioned only on certain ROMs, like stock).

-If you are a heavy apps installer, can't live with 750MB of space and want good speeds, well, I'm sorry, this isn't for you.

And finally, the link you've been waiting for!

Downloads:

Click to go to the CronMod-INT2EXT Scripts page to download

Credits:

Quote:

• croniccorey for the scripts of course!
  • dk75 for teaching me on the scripts thread on which is better to use. If it wasn't for him, this thread wouldn't be here for a long time or wouldn't be here at all!

The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to Lt.Win For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Lt.Win Ad-Free
14th March 2013, 02:25 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mumbai

More
Coming Soon:
  • Tell me what to add!
14th March 2013, 02:25 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mumbai

More
And this one too
The Following User Says Thank You to Lt.Win For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Lt.Win Ad-Free
14th March 2013, 04:43 PM |#4  
Flag Yogyakarta
Thanks Meter: 165

More
Re: [GUIDE][INFO] CronMod-INT2EXT(+) --> How To Use, What To Use, etc...
Very...very clear :thumbup:

Sent from MARVEL JellyScream
29th April 2013, 07:48 PM |#5  
Flag Scranton Pa
Thanks Meter: 0

More
How do I run?
I have HTC wildfire s and am just learning about rooting and this internal memory issue I am having with this phone..I have NO memory but was able to root and move some stuff to sd card but I tried to install the ROM "touchwiz v6" and all that happens is the phone is stuck on the S. Do I run the :cronmod zip just like I would install a ROM?
17th May 2013, 05:27 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Win

Coming Soon:

• INT2EXTV2+ information and guide, with information on SWAP2INT!
  • Something else I forgot.

I've been trying to install the cronmod scripts for well over a couple of weeks now. Tried three different recoveries, different scripts but I always get status 0 error. What is going wrong, I even moved the files from the script folder into a rom and tried installing it from there, the files do go into the init.d folder but they don't seem to be working. I even verified the init.d by using universal init.d apk
17th May 2013, 02:52 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Did you use Primary ext4 partition?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anil_Sharma

I've been trying to install the cronmod scripts for well over a couple of weeks now. Tried three different recoveries, different scripts but I always get status 0 error.

Hi, I can just suggest you to check if your ext 2/3/4 partition is set as Primary (not logical). You must have two primary partition (1. Fat 32; 2. Ext 2/3/4)
18th May 2013, 07:17 AM |#8  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Int2extv2+ tutorial...
Any updates

Sent from my Wildfire S A510e using xda app-developers app
21st May 2013, 10:35 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mumbai

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]¡[email protected]_S¡D

Int2extv2+ tutorial...
Any updates

Sent from my Wildfire S A510e using xda app-developers app

Sorry,I got a new phone about a month or so back and since then I've been inactive (college).

Anyways, the v2+ tutorial is the same as the remaining. In the time I had my WFS, i could only say that INT2EXTv2+ felt faster than INT2EXT+.

That is all. And the SWAP2INT is it puts your Swap partition on your internal, that is all.

If you need me to add something, do tell me!
21st June 2013, 10:53 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:

How do I use it?

Prerequisites and install instructions are above.

Can someone please help. I am on a P500. I have followed all the instructions and flashed INT2EXT+. I am using AmonRA and dont have a format sd-ext option. What should I do? And once I have completed the process, what do I actually do to shift the apps to the sd-ext partition? There are no instructions for this.

Thanks very much and I appreciate your work.
22nd June 2013, 11:11 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Internal memory required every 500 MB sd-ext
I saw in some people's signature in this forum sd-ext up to 8GB with int2ext+, int2ext4+ or int2extv2+, which according with tutorial, needs 100 MB of internal memory every 500MB sd-ext... Any exceeding sd-ext won't be considered by system

Quote:

This means that every 100MB of real internal memory you have, it is equivalent to 500MB of your EXT partition.

To be more clear -

Our phone has 150MB of internal memory. This means, that if you use INT2EXT+ and have a 1GB partition for example, and if you install loads of apps, it's going to say "Storage Full" on around 750MB. That means, the remaining is practically waste and you can actually use only 750MB. This is why, if you are going to install loads of apps, you can use 750MB only, with this script.

So, it is possible to use "+" scripts with sd-ext bigger than this requirement (and use the entire sd-ext))??
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)