Originally Posted by Mike B.
It doesn't matter whether AdAway is "active" or not. What counts is which URLs, if any, you redirect in your hosts file. Apparently you are redirecting a URL used by your YouTube application to store/retrieve its history data. Start by using only the default AdAway source files, then reboot. If the problem persists, let the AdAway DNS Requests log show you which server(s) you might need to whitelist, but since other members have not reported a youtube history problem, there's a good chances that the culprit is in a source file or blacklist you added.
The reason I say my youtube history stops when adaway is active is because it always stops when adaway is on, and always works when adaway is off, and I'm ignorant as to what's causing the problem beyond that.
I have already deleted and reinstalled adaway, causing all settings to be reset to default, but the problem persisted.
I've also tried whitelisting every host that pops up while using youtube and that had no effect.
Also from looking around on the internet I've found 2 or 3 other people who reported the same problem, stemming from adaway or another ad blocker. Personally I've had it happen with another ad blocker as well.
One of them mentioned he also used the youtube adaway xposed module, as do I, so I thought that might have been a link. However I turned the module off, rebooted my device, and the problem remained unchanged.