608 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,353

Post Reply Email Thread
16th September 2015, 03:40 PM |#4161  
Thanks Meter: 12,324

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabbyWC

Thanks, @mrRobinson. I understand and think that our chances are better with you optimizing the material design code rather than hoping for Google to reverse their decision or waiting for an Xposed module that restores this functionality (and believe me, I've asked). Android 6.0 Marshmallow is still affected by the 3-dots menu missing unless the app is updated to display it on Android TV devices.

Just so you know, adaway is full material design specs. material design doesn't state the app has to define views for android tv, especially when the app isn't intended to run on it. So it isn't about me adjusting adaway to meet material design but rather find out how to force a tvactivity that shows the menu. I don't know how to do that currently. all of the dev docs show how to build a tvactivity so your app show as avail in google play for tv's. I want to keep the app as it is and just force the menu. if you have any links that help show that, please share.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrRobinson For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrRobinson Ad-Free
16th September 2015, 08:25 PM |#4162  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
deleted

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdebesciak

Youtube search and watched history enabled in settings?

TapaTalked

Yes.
As I said it only stops when adaway is active.
16th September 2015, 08:34 PM |#4163  
Recognized Contributor
/
Thanks Meter: 3,207

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_zuckerberg

When I have adaway active my youtube history no longer updates.
This happens to me with other ad blockers as well.
Anyone know what the problem is?

Quote:

Yes.
As I said it only stops when adaway is active.

It doesn't matter whether AdAway is "active" or not. What counts is which URLs, if any, you redirect in your hosts file. Apparently you are redirecting a URL used by your YouTube application to store/retrieve its history data. Start by using only the default AdAway source files, then reboot. If the problem persists, let the AdAway DNS Requests log show you which server(s) you might need to whitelist, but since other members have not reported a youtube history problem, there's a good chances that the culprit is in a source file or blacklist you added.
16th September 2015, 09:01 PM |#4164  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.

It doesn't matter whether AdAway is "active" or not. What counts is which URLs, if any, you redirect in your hosts file. Apparently you are redirecting a URL used by your YouTube application to store/retrieve its history data. Start by using only the default AdAway source files, then reboot. If the problem persists, let the AdAway DNS Requests log show you which server(s) you might need to whitelist, but since other members have not reported a youtube history problem, there's a good chances that the culprit is in a source file or blacklist you added.

The reason I say my youtube history stops when adaway is active is because it always stops when adaway is on, and always works when adaway is off, and I'm ignorant as to what's causing the problem beyond that.
I have already deleted and reinstalled adaway, causing all settings to be reset to default, but the problem persisted.
I've also tried whitelisting every host that pops up while using youtube and that had no effect.
Also from looking around on the internet I've found 2 or 3 other people who reported the same problem, stemming from adaway or another ad blocker. Personally I've had it happen with another ad blocker as well.
One of them mentioned he also used the youtube adaway xposed module, as do I, so I thought that might have been a link. However I turned the module off, rebooted my device, and the problem remained unchanged.
16th September 2015, 09:19 PM |#4165  
Recognized Contributor
/

More
Quote:

The reason I say my youtube history stops when adaway is active is because it always stops when adaway is on, and always works when adaway is off, and I'm ignorant as to what's causing the problem beyond that.
I have already deleted and reinstalled adaway, causing all settings to be reset to default, but the problem persisted.
I've also tried whitelisting every host that pops up while using youtube and that had no effect.
Also from looking around on the internet I've found 2 or 3 other people who reported the same problem, stemming from adaway or another ad blocker. Personally I've had it happen with another ad blocker as well.
One of them mentioned he also used the youtube adaway xposed module, as do I, so I thought that might have been a link. However I turned the module off, rebooted my device, and the problem remained unchanged.

There is a simple way for you to exonerate AdAway: keep the large hosts file created by AdAway, but temporarily uninstall AdAway, then reboot. If your trouble persists, temporarily rename (or delete) your hosts file, and reboot again. If the problem now disappears, you now know that it has nothing to do with AdAway but rather with some URL that is being redirected in your hosts file.

I'm not sure to which "other ad blockers' you refer since AdAway simply alters the hosts file but knows nothing about ads. If your other apps also alter the hosts file, you need to find out which URLs are at fault. Since I don't use the YouTube app, I'm not sure how its history sync works, but it might very well be using some Google servers that are commonly labeled as "ad servers". Wanam's YouTube AdAway module doesn't alter DNS resolution but instead attempts to patch the YouTube app, a separate issue.

Realistically, if only 2 or 3 people report the same problem you have it's extremely unlikely to be a generic AdAway issue but may be connected to a specific ROM or mod, or some other third party app.
16th September 2015, 09:43 PM |#4166  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.

There is a simple way for you to exonerate AdAway: keep the large hosts file created by AdAway, but temporarily uninstall AdAway, then reboot. If your trouble persists, temporarily rename (or delete) your hosts file, and reboot again. If the problem now disappears, you now know that it has nothing to do with AdAway but rather with some URL that is being redirected in your hosts file.

I'm not sure to which "other ad blockers' you refer since AdAway simply alters the hosts file but knows nothing about ads. If your other apps also alter the hosts file, you need to find out which URLs are at fault. Since I don't use the YouTube app, I'm not sure how its history sync works, but it might very well be using some Google servers that are commonly labeled as "ad servers". Wanam's YouTube AdAway module doesn't alter DNS resolution but instead attempts to patch the YouTube app, a separate issue.

Realistically, if only 2 or 3 people report the same problem you have it's extremely unlikely to be a generic AdAway issue but may be connected to a specific ROM or mod, or some other third party app.

Very odd...
I tried using the "unbeloved hosts" module (the other adblocker that caused the same problem for me), and fooled around with the hosts sources.
I then turned it back off, and turned adaway on again, this time trying the adaway host sources one by one.
None of them interfered with the youtube history.
I then applied all 4 of them, as I've always had it, and now the youtube history works fine, but I'm not sure why.
16th September 2015, 09:50 PM |#4167  
Recognized Contributor
/

More
Quote:

Very odd...
I tried using the "unbeloved hosts" module (the other adblocker that caused the same problem for me), and fooled around with the hosts sources.
I then turned it back off, and turned adaway on again, this time trying the adaway host sources one by one.
None of them interfered with the youtube history.
I then applied all 4 of them, as I've always had it, and now the youtube history works fine, but I'm not sure why.

Thanks for the update. One good guess is that "something" along the way had added unwarranted URLs to your default hosts file or somehow hijacked the DNS cache, but what matters is that your problem was not caused by AdAway and has now disappeared. In general, try not to obsess over "ad blocking', as many headaches stem from trying to block too much with too many products. Many of us like AdAway because it's extremely clean, simple, and efficient (uses NO additional resources) and gives you, the user, full control over what to block and what to allow.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike B. For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mike B. Ad-Free
16th September 2015, 10:49 PM |#4168  
Flag Brampton, ON
Thanks Meter: 179

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrRobinson

Just so you know, adaway is full material design specs. material design doesn't state the app has to define views for android tv, especially when the app isn't intended to run on it. So it isn't about me adjusting adaway to meet material design but rather find out how to force a tvactivity that shows the menu. I don't know how to do that currently. all of the dev docs show how to build a tvactivity so your app show as avail in google play for tv's. I want to keep the app as it is and just force the menu. if you have any links that help show that, please share.

I'm not a developer so I can't be of much specific assistance there. I did ask @zulu99, a developer whose DroidMote Server app experienced the same issue shortly after Android 5.1 was released but he quickly worked around it. What he told me is that, "You need the toolbar instead of the actionbar." I looked at the Android 5.1 AOSP changelog at http://www.androidpolice.com/android...changelog.html to see if I could track down the relevant change(s) but I wasn't sure if I had done so even after doing keyword searches for menu, overflow and fugu.
16th September 2015, 11:07 PM |#4169  
Thanks Meter: 12,324

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabbyWC

I'm not a developer so I can't be of much specific assistance there. I did ask @zulu99, a developer whose DroidMote Server app experienced the same issue shortly after Android 5.1 was released but he quickly worked around it. What he told me is that, "You need the toolbar instead of the actionbar." I looked at the Android 5.1 AOSP changelog at http://www.androidpolice.com/android...changelog.html to see if I could track down the relevant change(s) but I wasn't sure if I had done so even after doing keyword searches for menu, overflow and fugu.

Well i'd need to come up with something different. adaway is actually using a now deprecated actionbarsherlock. There is no major issue with it but i'd love to move to the lastest, esp since we actually don't need to support old API's any longer. I took a stab at moving from actionbarsherlock to appcompat here https://github.com/0-kaladin/ad-away/tree/actionbar but stopped since prefs would need to be rewritten and I don't have the time to learn it then implement. If someone like @zulu99 actually knows this stuff it should be an easy jump from that to toolbar. But we don't get many devs submitting pull requests for adaway much so i might be able to hack in a force overflow menu somehow. Just can't guarantee it'll work and I'd much prefer getting rid of actionbarsherlock and going to toolbar, i just probably can't execute that change myself.
16th September 2015, 11:46 PM |#4170  
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Hello fellow community. For the first time literally in the years I have been using this, I can't seem to get any of the apks to install. I am currently running the newest version of the tipsy rom and I really do not want to give it up. I have done extensive research but to no avail. What do you all suggest? Thanks in advance.
17th September 2015, 12:36 AM |#4171  
Recognized Contributor
/

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEpic

Hello fellow community. For the first time literally in the years I have been using this, I can't seem to get any of the apks to install. I am currently running the newest version of the tipsy rom and I really do not want to give it up. I have done extensive research but to no avail. What do you all suggest? Thanks in advance.

The only suggestion is for you to provide enough details so that others can attempt to help you. Are you saying that you can't install the current AdAway found by following the link in the OP? If so, what specific error do you receive on which device and which with ROOTED Android version?

EDIT: After some snooping, I found something called tipsy-osprey-5.1.1, a ROM for the Moto G. Based on a hunch that this might be what you are referring to, I downloaded it and lo and behold, it contains an "adaway.apk" system app of undisclosed origin. Unless that app was originally downloaded from the @mrRobinson builds discussed here (unlikely), it has an incompatible signature and would prevent you from installing any of the updates from the OP. The ROM in question seems to be rooted and therefore it should be easy for you to completely uninstall/delete (not just disable) that builtin "adaway.apk" and simply download and install the current one from the OP. Whenever there is an AdAway update, you'll be able to quickly download and install it without any error messages and without having to change anything. Did I guess right?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)