FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Kindle fire HD 7 hard bricked????

29 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By duncanidahoe, Junior Member on 17th March 2013, 02:17 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Can't get any computer or OS to recognize my kindle fire HD 7 even with the factory cable. Help!!!

I was in fastboot mode and did a reboot and when it booted back up it stuck on the start screen and won't let me do anything anymore. The fastboot cable I bought doesn't put it into fastboot mode and it is not recognized by any of my computers or OS. Tried everything but my mac so far. That includes XP, 7, 8 and Ubuntu.

I'll try a hard reset again. I've done that several times hoping that one time it would get recognized by the computer.
17th March 2013, 09:00 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Re: [Q] Kindle fire HD 7 hard bricked????
Before you panic too much, you need give more information. What were you doing to "brick it"?

Have you tried a hard reset btw? (Hold the power button down for 30 seconds) then let go and turn on?

Worked for me before when I thought messed up

Kgyuszko

Sent from my KFTT using xda app-developers app
17th March 2013, 05:25 PM |#3  
Flag Alexandria
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanidahoe

Can't get any computer or OS to recognize my kindle fire HD 7 even with the factory cable. Help!!!

I was in fastboot mode and did a reboot and when it booted back up it stuck on the start screen and won't let me do anything anymore. The fastboot cable I bought doesn't put it into fastboot mode and it is not recognized by any of my computers or OS. Tried everything but my mac so far. That includes XP, 7, 8 and Ubuntu.

I'll try a hard reset again. I've done that several times hoping that one time it would get recognized by the computer.

You were doing something in fastboot mode, What was it? did you try to install the 2nd bootloader by hashcode or just restoring your device?
17th March 2013, 06:21 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:

I did something similar and have what i though 'bricked' the kindle. Have another good read through hashcode 2nd bootloader thread, others have has similar, and there are some instructions on how to resolve fastboot cable not recognised, and kndle is bricked. if not, go down the firstaide thread, that also deals with bricked kindles.

good luck

kgyuszko
29th March 2013, 05:07 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
have you successed to fix it ?
unluckily, I have the same problem.
factory cable is no use.
15th April 2013, 12:55 AM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogolovedell

factory cable is no use.

I just had same problem. Factory cable no use. I intalled Kinology but thought to restore to a Kindle version. When the bootloader was being flashed, a black brick ... Anyone knows how to deal with this? I even opened the case and unplug battery.
16th April 2013, 08:50 AM |#7  
Flag BinhDuong City
Thanks Meter: 58

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by qiudongxiao

I just had same problem. Factory cable no use. I intalled Kinology but thought to restore to a Kindle version. When the bootloader was being flashed, a black brick ... Anyone knows how to deal with this? I even opened the case and unplug battery.

Your problem will be overcome if you follow here
8th June 2013, 11:39 AM |#8  

More
Hi, I also ahve a black brick. It won't start after I used the wrong bootloader(the one for KFHD8 isntead if KFHD7)
I do have a factory cable but still nothing.
8th June 2013, 01:45 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 225

More
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogolovedell

factory cable is no use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qiudongxiao

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindleuser01

Hi, I also ahve a black brick. It won't start after I used the wrong bootloader(the one for KFHD8 isntead if KFHD7)
I do have a factory cable but still nothing.

You all have a paperweight on your hands. The factory cable was the very last resort. If you're in warranty, send it in for a replacement.
6th August 2013, 12:39 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 39

More
possible solution
searching i found this page where explain how to fix the hard brick, black screen no sing of life, cant post links so, search in google "new life for a dead Kindle fire hd, is in mascote..... can any expert try it and explain that to the rest of us,
6th August 2013, 02:27 AM |#11  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Austin, TX
Thanks Meter: 2,540

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanfeanor

searching i found this page where explain how to fix the hard brick, black screen no sing of life, cant post links so, search in google "new life for a dead Kindle fire hd, is in mascote..... can any expert try it and explain that to the rest of us,

A while back, I brought this question up to Pokey9000, the developer of FireFireFire and Firekit for the Original Kindle Fire. His exact response to me was...
Quote:

When the OMAP USB boots, it first waits a bit to handshake with a host. If the handshake is successful, the host sends a small loader to the OMAP that then does some hardware init and handshakes again with the host to get a payload to shove into RAM. This loader is similar to x-loader in that it has to be small to fit in the SRAM of the OMAP, and does low level initialization like mux, clock, and memory setup. However it differs in that it replaces the MMC and FAT handling in x-loader with USB loading as there's not enough room for a generic x-loader that does MMC and USB.

On HS (fused) OMAPs this initial USB loader payload must be signed just like x-loader has to be for eMMC boot. If the payload doesn't have a signature that checks out, the OMAP halts until it's reset. This is enforced by hardware, so short of finding a sploit in the OMAP ROM code or a copy of Amazon's USB boot tools used in factory it's not going to work.

TL;DR not likely.

Considering his knowledge of bootloaders and low level hardware stuffs far exceeds mine, and the fact that he's been looking at this issue ever since the B&N Nook devices (maybe even longer), I have to assume he knows what he's talking about.

The information on the page at Mascote seems to contradict what Pokey9000 says because usbboot uses an a-boot(x-loader) instead of this not-so-typical USB loader mentioned previously. And the answer to whether or not the author was actually successful in reviving the KFHD using this method has been left a little ambiguous.

But, as much as it would suck for me to have been the d*ck that told everyone that it couldn't be done, I would LOVE to be proven wrong.

I'd say, if you have a hard-bricked KFHD, then I guess there's not much else you can lose by testing it out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soupmagnet For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift soupmagnet Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)