FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[HOW TO] Install Native ArchLinux on N80XX [HOW TO]

103 posts
Thanks Meter: 54

Post Reply Email Thread
How to install ArchLinux natively on Galaxy Note 10.1 ( N80XX )

Original XDA post : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2070139

OpenSGN : http://code.google.com/p/opensgn/

Developers : exception13 and X-Stranger

*********THIS IS JUST A HOW-TO, DO NOT POST ANYTHING OTHER THAN POSTS RELATING TO THE INSTALLATION
*********IF YOU WANT TO POST ABOUT THE DEVELOPMENT, PLEASE POST ON THE ORIGINAL THREAD

Note: I am writing this tutorial with the developer(s) consent. So do not complain about duplication. I'm writing this tutorial to simplify the steps for users.

How to install:

1. Your device must be rooted
2. I personally recommend you installing Cyanogenmod 10.1 and creating a full backup of the system
3. Download these two files :
4. Create a folder somewhere in your pc, (i.e. Desktop) and extract the contents from the two zipped files (linux.img and recovery.img)
5. Plug in your device, copy over the linux.img and recovery.img files into the internal storage
6. Open up a file browser inside android with access to root, and move the linux.img file to the "Real" sdcard.

****** "Real" sdcard card is : >>>>> /mnt/shell/emulated <<<< in cyanogenmod 10.1 (thats why i told you to install it)
****** I'm not sure about other roms, please check it.

7. linux.img file must be in the real sdcard path (the path above) for cyanogenmod
8. Open up terminal emulator in android OR adb shell into the device from pc.

**** How to ADB shell from pc *****

Connect the device, open up command prompt (or teminal if using linux) and type in " adb shell " (without the speech marks)
Continue to step 9

9. Grant superuser permissions by typing " su " into the terminal emulator or adb shell (this will return nothing)

10. This is the step where we wrtie the recovery.img into the device. Follow carefully

Type " dd if=/path/to/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 " without the speech marks, (replace the path to recovery)

****/path/to/ is the path where you copied the recovery.img file onto, and example would be****
***an example of the path would be " dd if=/storage/sdcard0/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 " or simmilar

Then it will say if it was successful

11. Final step, you just need to reboot the device into recovery mode, which will automatically load the new recovery and it will boot ArchLinux

To login, you need to enter this password (without speech marks) : " changeme "

Again, big thanks to X-Stranger and exception13 for the development

I hope this tutorial helps you out.

If I helped you, just hit the Thanks Button
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to hiruna For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hiruna Ad-Free

18th March 2013, 07:20 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
AW: [HOW TO] Install Native ArchLinux on N80XX [HOW TO]
And how to go back to Stock recovery? Just flash a normal rom with odin?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app
18th March 2013, 08:34 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 41

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidbang

And how to go back to Stock recovery? Just flash a normal rom with odin?

You got it. Or just flash the recovery itself.
The Following User Says Thank You to darksabre_x For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift darksabre_x Ad-Free
18th March 2013, 08:50 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
AW: [HOW TO] Install Native ArchLinux on N80XX [HOW TO]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksabre_x

You got it. Or just flash the recovery itself.

Ok gonna try it later. Thanks

18th March 2013, 11:00 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Hi, thank you for the hard work! I'd like to install on stock 4.1.2 but i don't know what means "real sdcard" and how to check it. I bet it's not mnt/sdcard, isn't it?
One more thing, how can i switch between android and linux on boot? Thanks!
18th March 2013, 11:09 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Craigieburn

More
Thumbs up need to check on that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf89

Hi, thank you for the hard work! I'd like to install on stock 4.1.2 but i don't know what means "real sdcard" and how to check it. I bet it's not mnt/sdcard, isn't it?
One more thing, how can i switch between android and linux on boot? Thanks!

So I don't have stock firmware to check the path. Basically android jellybean has multi user option so they decided to change the file system .like adding different paths. Real sd card should include Android folder as well as with some other folders thst are visible in the normal sdcard point but no files in the root of it. I mean if u copy over a word doccument into normal sd (via pc) , it will not be in the Real sdcard.

If you're stuck, just post back and i'll look into it

Oh to switch between android and archlinux, you just need to reboot from the archlinux. But currently it fails to reboot successfully. It will be stuck on the reboot and you have to force it with the power button. But then again, you need an usb or wireless (not bluetooth) keybpard attached to the tablet and restart it. ill let you know in detail soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to hiruna For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hiruna Ad-Free
19th March 2013, 04:01 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
If I install this, I can change the version of Android when I want ?
19th March 2013, 04:05 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Craigieburn

More
Thumbs up Yes you can
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewieros

If I install this, I can change the version of Android when I want ?

Yes indeed you can

When you install it, you need to reboot to recovery to boot archlinux.
Android will be still there. Just need to get out of archlinux and boot it normally, it will go to android

But if you want to flash a different android rom, you need to flash TWRP recovery or Clockworkmod then flash the rom

Then to boot archlinux again, you need to install the recovery.img again

thats it
The Following User Says Thank You to hiruna For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hiruna Ad-Free
19th March 2013, 06:32 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Re: [HOW TO] Install Native ArchLinux on N80XX [HOW TO]
how to connet to sim 3g?

Gửi từ GT-N8000 của tôi bằng cách sử dụng Tapatalk 2
19th March 2013, 06:35 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Craigieburn

More
Thumbs down please dont ask about development.
Quote:
Originally Posted by axxaax113

how to connet to sim 3g?

Gửi từ GT-N8000 của tôi bằng cách sử dụng Tapatalk 2

Please do not ask questions about the development. this thread is only about the installation. post on the original thread if you want to talk about the development.
19th March 2013, 08:08 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
R: [HOW TO] Install Native ArchLinux on N80XX [HOW TO]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiruna

So I don't have stock firmware to check the path. Basically android jellybean has multi user option so they decided to change the file system .like adding different paths. Real sd card should include Android folder as well as with some other folders thst are visible in the normal sdcard point but no files in the root of it. I mean if u copy over a word doccument into normal sd (via pc) , it will not be in the Real sdcard.

Sorry, i cannot find the correct path, any of that takes me to my normal sdcard folder. Anyway there is not kind of 'emulated' folder, maybe because multiuser is enabled in 4.2 only, like cyanogenmod, while mine is 4.1.2. Could it be? Thank you

Sent from my GT-N8000 using xda app-developers app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
archlinux, galaxy note 10.1, linux, n8000, n8010

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)