FORUMS

[APP][4.0+] TopNTP 1.1 - Achieve Rapid GPS Locks, Use more GPS Sats, Reliable NTP

2,493 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,237

Post Reply Email Thread

GPS.conf Profiles
This app does installs a customized gps.conf file for your GPS. It has several different profiles to choose from. We recommend to use the default Google profile but it is up to you. Apart from the general profiles, you can customize the one profile you choose to fit your own needs.

NTP Servers
Derek Gordon maintains a special NTP server pool for you. Dispite what everyone thinks, it is not necessarily the one closest to you which is the best. We consider Derek Gordon's server to be the best option to choose because it has the best data and is most frequently updated.
For more information about the NTP server check out the "About this app" section found under the settings of this app. Also, feel free to visit derekgordon.com for more in depth information.

aGPS Alamanacs
Derek Gordon maintains a special aGPS almanac for devices using Qualcomm or similar chipsets. This xtra.bin data file is updated every 30 minutes and is located on a content delivery system maintained by the generous donations of ther userbase.
For more information about the NTP server check out the "About this app" section found under the settings of this app. Also, feel free to visit derekgordon.com for more in depth information.

Donations
To maintain the server we need money. Donations through this app will be divided between Derek Gordon (Crypted) and Zatta on XDA.
Each star costs 2 Euro and will reduce the waiting time before you can install the patch. 0 star users wait 20 seconds, 1 star users 10, 2 star users only 5 and 3 star users and Premium users can install immediately.
You can become a premium user for only 5 Euro. This is a discount of 1 euro compared to a three star user! We choose this method to allow every one to use all features of this app and because we believe in XDA developers users. Please, don't leech!

Backup and Restore
On the first run of this app a backup is made on your SD card. Don't remove it because a backup is only made during the first run (or at an update if you choose to remove it anyway) and no other backup is found on your SD card.

ROM Updates
The patch this app provides is located on your /system partition so every time you do update your ROM the patch is overwritten and you will have to redo the patch.
Unless you are using a Cyanogenmod based ROM and your rom has addon.d support. In that case a script will be placed in the addon.d directory to preserve the patch.
It can be disabled in the app's settings but is enabled by default.

ASUS Users
On ASUS roms a typical file is present at /system/etc/gps, namely the gpsconfig.xml file. This app pathes that file as well, to be specific the PeriodicTimeOutSec parameter. Of course a backup is made of this file as well.

Get it on Google Play!

Thanks to Sneakyghost for German translation!
The Following 71 Users Say Thank You to crypted For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift crypted Ad-Free
20th March 2013, 12:41 AM |#2  
Inactive Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Sneek
Thanks Meter: 1,578

More
Changelog

Version 1.1:
  • Now also localized in Italian, translations by XDA Member @Kiba No Ou

Version 1.0.5:
  • Removed in-app donations, thanks to everyone who has donated!
  • improved mounting /system to RW

Version 1.0.4:
  • Added German translation. Huge thanks to @Sneakyghost for this!

Version 1.0.0:
  • Repaired addon.d file preservation function (thanks @karimrim)

Version 0.9.9:
  • Bugfix for the app FC after quickly checking donation options
  • Link to the app thread under settings
  • Updated database; removed empty items
  • Updated Dutch translations

Version 0.9.2:
  • Bugfix for the addon.d script
  • Added specific supl hosts spinner
  • Re-organised the database, less profiles, better names for them
  • Added a reset custom button in the preferences

Version 0.9.1:
  • First public beta
  • Minor changes to some strings

Version 0.6.6:
  • Reverted busybox downgrade from 7 to 9 (now it is cm9 again)
  • Addon.d support finished (enabled by default)

Version 0.6.3:
  • Using busybox from cm7 instead of cm9
  • Started implementing addon.d support
  • Started translating (to Dutch)

Version 0.6.2:
  • Using busybox from cm9 instead of cm10
  • bugfix: the setup screen not disappearing after showing the install dialog

Version 0.6.1:
  • Move away from using a script from the shell
  • Using a loader instead of AsyncTask
  • Speed improvements
  • Added permissions for super user acces and write external storage

Version 0.2.0:I
  • ntroduced a welcome screen
  • Introduced this changelog
  • Stringify it all
  • Introduced the backup and restore functionality

Version 0.1.0:
  • Updated database handeling.
  • In app billing fully tested.
  • Use of CM10's busybox binairy.
  • Implemented patching the gpsconfig.xml file for asus devices.
  • UI work.

Version 0.0.1:
  • Initial closed beta release.
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Zatta For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Zatta Ad-Free
20th March 2013, 12:42 AM |#3  
Flag Sneek

More
Download the apk from the playstore of downoad it from here!

Personal note: I prefer if you download it from the paystore because I an highly interested in the statistics it provides to me. However, if you re unabe to download it from the laystore, feel free to use the download from xda. It is the exact same apk. All functions are for free, we just need your absolutely voluntarily donations to keep the server up in the air. We trust XDA users fully!
Attached Files
File Type: apk TopNTP099.apk - [Click for QR Code] (656.3 KB, 1276 views)
File Type: apk TopNTP100.apk - [Click for QR Code] (656.5 KB, 832 views)
File Type: apk TopNTP104.apk - [Click for QR Code] (665.7 KB, 3634 views)
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Zatta For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Zatta Ad-Free
20th March 2013, 01:14 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Miami, FL
Thanks Meter: 4,237

Donate to Me
More
reserved for my spam.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to crypted For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift crypted Ad-Free
25th March 2013, 01:47 AM |#5  
Flag Belgrade
Thanks Meter: 503

More
Installed.
I use GPS Status app for testing my GPS, and after installing this app, it needed <10 secs to find my exact location.And I wasn't even under the clear sky.It usually takes min or two to get lock.The thing is, when I opened maps, it wasn't so precise.The circle was around 1km big.Thats strange.I will test more tomorrow though.
Can you explain exactly how this app helps to get quicker gps lock?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nightshadow931 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nightshadow931 Ad-Free
25th March 2013, 05:37 AM |#6  
Flag Millsboro
Thanks Meter: 47

More
Re: [APP][4.0+] TopNTP 0.9.2 - Achieve Rapid GPS Locks, Use more GPS Sats, Reliable N
Awesome job Bro. Crypted! I will definitely try this out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Bull_Moose For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bull_Moose Ad-Free
25th March 2013, 05:39 AM |#7  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 1,031

More
Re: [APP][4.0+] TopNTP 0.9.2 - Achieve Rapid GPS Locks, Use more GPS Sats, Reliable N
Thanks crypted and zatta. As usual the patch works awesome. Got a gps lock in 1-2 secs in India

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to .xxx. For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift .xxx. Ad-Free
25th March 2013, 07:47 AM |#8  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 408

More
Gps lock in less than 6 sec..damn fast!!!! Thnks...

Sent from my GT-I9001 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to anuseb89 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift anuseb89 Ad-Free
1st April 2013, 10:01 PM |#9  
Flag Sneek

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshadow931

Can you explain exactly how this app helps to get quicker gps lock?

I can't do that exactly because there are many variables that are tweaked. This has been a long process, Crypted spent roughly 2 years experimenting with the gps.conf file and maintains 30 (!!) threads for various devices all over XDA.
The main thing though is the excellent ntp server he maintains.

Thanks to all downloaders over the past two weeks. We are now on a steady 400 active installations of the app, that is a rate of 66 percent of the total downloads which is great!
What makes me even more proud is that I didn't get any bug reports so far..

Taptalked u see .. əəs n pəʞlɐʇdɐʇ
The Following User Says Thank You to Zatta For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Zatta Ad-Free
4th April 2013, 10:30 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 194

More
On the first run it didn't creat the backup of original GPS.config file. It just created the empty topntp folder in sdcard.Also GPS lock improvements is not visible. I'm using job 4.1.1
4th April 2013, 11:28 PM |#11  
Flag Sneek

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgal302006

On the first run it didn't creat the backup of original GPS.config file. It just created the empty topntp folder in sdcard.Also GPS lock improvements is not visible. I'm using job 4.1.1

Did it create an backup of the new file than? For which device?

Edit: can you sent a copy of your original /system/etc/gps.conf? Or has your rom the conf file somewhere else or something strange like that?

Taptalked u see .. əəs n pəʞlɐʇdɐʇ
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
gps, patch

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)