htc one matches macbook pro design

Search This thread

paravorheim

Mar 10, 2011
I was reading a review of the HTC One (I know, I'm behind) and I came to the realization that the design of the HTC One nicely matches the design of my Retina Macbook Pro. It has the same white aluminum design, speaker grilles are the same type, and white accents match the ports and other white accents of the Macbook. Compare these:
DSC_7480.jpg

HTC_One_360_Wide.png

It makes me wonder why there isn't a very consistent design ethos with Apple's products, I feel like it would be really cool if they kept the same design cues.

Dr Doppio

Jun 11, 2011
I was reading a review of the HTC One (I know, I'm behind) and I came to the realization that the design of the HTC One nicely matches the design of my Retina Macbook Pro. It has the same white aluminum design, speaker grilles are the same type, and white accents match the ports and other white accents of the Macbook. Compare these:

It makes me wonder why there isn't a very consistent design ethos with Apple's products, I feel like it would be really cool if they kept the same design cues.

I think you're reading too much into it; both devices use aluminium and speakers have a grid of holes to allow for passage of sound.

There's nothing cool about "keeping design cues" across companies -- only leads to litigation and overall aggravation.

xXxG0dzRAgexXx

Feb 24, 2013
Beltsville, Maryland
I think its pretty nice to be rocking all aluminum devices. Aluminum is just so nice looking. The only reason I would ever want a Macbook would be because of the build quality. I like my custom PC though, and don't really have the need to carry around a laptop. If I did though it would probably be a macbook. Either that or an expensive Asus since they also have some nice aluminum style laptops/ultrabooks for high prices. Maybe one day. :p

paravorheim

Mar 10, 2011
I think you're reading too much into it; both devices use aluminium and speakers have a grid of holes to allow for passage of sound.

There's nothing cool about "keeping design cues" across companies -- only leads to litigation and overall aggravation.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. For that, I apologize. I meant that it would be cool if Apple kept design cues across its own entire line, not between separate companies' products.

paravorheim

Mar 10, 2011
I think its pretty nice to be rocking all aluminum devices. Aluminum is just so nice looking. The only reason I would ever want a Macbook would be because of the build quality. I like my custom PC though, and don't really have the need to carry around a laptop. If I did though it would probably be a macbook. Either that or an expensive Asus since they also have some nice aluminum style laptops/ultrabooks for high prices. Maybe one day. :p

The problem I have with ASUS laptops is that their touchpads were always so finicky. Although, I really do want one of their touchscreen ultrabooks. My rMBP is pretty good in terms of performance and battery life, plus the screen is downright gorgeous.

I have been an iphone user since 3gs. Had all models except the iphone 5 which was a great dissapointment. I expected a radikal design change and got...meh. Design like the HTC One was more or less what I expected from iphone 5 but never got. And also the fact that IOS has looked the same since my 3gs back in 2009 made me switch to Android.

This was what I was expecting from iphone5: http://www.inrumor.com/in/technology/iphone-5-design-by-patrick-eckert-brilliant-concept/

Doesnt matter now, HTC One looks great. Cant wait to get it :D. Dont really know what I meant by above rambling except that I agrees that it looks like macbook pro design :)

Vertron

Jul 30, 2010
I was reading a review of the HTC One (I know, I'm behind) and I came to the realization that the design of the HTC One nicely matches the design of my Retina Macbook Pro. It has the same white aluminum design, speaker grilles are the same type, and white accents match the ports and other white accents of the Macbook.

Oh dear. This means Apple might sue HTC for copying if the HTC One is successful.

glumardok

Apr 7, 2008
Berlin
AW: htc one matches macbook pro design

Dosen't Apple sue every successful competitor - irrespective of the prospects?

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

Reactions: xXxG0dzRAgexXx

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
This was the first thing i thought to myself when i first saw the One. It looks like a Mac. Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that HTC copied anything; i'm saying that the One is one fine ass device, just like a Mac. I bet Jony Ive is pulling the hair he has left on his head, and screaming "THIS! This is beautiful! This should be an iPhone!", because this could be an iPhone. It's currently the best looking piece of tech out there.

paravorheim

Mar 10, 2011
Dosen't Apple sue every successful competitor - irrespective of the prospects?

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

I believe that Apple was sue-happy when Jobs was in power, but Tim Cook is pretty against it. It doesn't seem like the HTC One really infringes on Apple design patents, but I'm not an IP lawyer, so...

paravorheim

Mar 10, 2011
This was the first thing i thought to myself when i first saw the One. It looks like a Mac. Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that HTC copied anything; i'm saying that the One is one fine ass device, just like a Mac. I bet Jony Ive is pulling the hair he has left on his head, and screaming "THIS! This is beautiful! This should be an iPhone!", because this could be an iPhone. It's currently the best looking piece of tech out there.

I like how it tapers just like the macbook pros. Not as much as the Air (cause that would just feel weird in your hand) but tapering to a thinner edge. It provides that super-thin illusion. But it's just that, an illusion. Which kind of pisses me off. Looking at other designs, it seems that HTC definitely could have engineered a thinner phone, but left an extra couple of mm's. Not that it truly matters, but it's those kinds of things that people like to compare in the real world.

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
I like how it tapers just like the macbook pros. Not as much as the Air (cause that would just feel weird in your hand) but tapering to a thinner edge. It provides that super-thin illusion. But it's just that, an illusion. Which kind of pisses me off. Looking at other designs, it seems that HTC definitely could have engineered a thinner phone, but left an extra couple of mm's. Not that it truly matters, but it's those kinds of things that people like to compare in the real world.

Yes, you're totally right. It LOOKS thinner than most phones out there, but its actually "fatter". It's only 4mm at the edges, so that's the reason.

The iPhone 5 is 7.5(?)mm thin, but the One looks as thin. The S4 is under 8mm thick, but it looks kinda chubby compared to the One. Nexus 4 is 8.5mm or something, but it looks like a freaking brick. Now, 9.3mm isn't thick at all, but even a thinner device can look like a brick. Xperia Z is 7.7mm, looks fatter than the One too.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts