FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Restoring TWRP backup to a new phone

982 posts
Thanks Meter: 58
 
By caseyatbt, Senior Member on 6th April 2013, 05:02 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
10th April 2013, 04:05 PM |#11  
caseyatbt's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Colorado
Thanks Meter: 58
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNexus

WAIT
Do you mean to say that you still have the old phone? If so, there's a way to make an ODIN flashable tar of the exact state of your old phone so you can flash to your new phone


Here's a link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1777579
Partitions are the same so you can use the script someone in there made

That is cool! Thanks. I have made the images, but making them flash-able seems a little less clear.
 
 
3rd June 2013, 11:23 AM |#12  
Junior Member
Flag Palo Alto
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyatbt

I have to move to a new phone. I backed up my old one to the SDcard. I placed it in the new phone and booted into TWRP. When I enter the restore menu, I go to ext card and it doesn't show any backups. I am not sure why TWRP does not see my sdcard backups so I can restore my backup.

TWRP bases backups and restores on serial number in a couple places. I've only done this from same phone to other of the same phones I've gotten of the same model (e.g. S3 to S3, HTC One 32GB to HTC One 64GB). Not sure how it would work from different model to different model - spose it depends on what you are restoring., model, rom, etc.

TWRP backup directory is sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/[SerialNumberOfDevice]/[timeStampOfBackup]/

Change the directory name to the serial number of the new device you want to restore to. Then, go to /[timeStampOfBackup]/recovery.log and do a find/replace on all of the old serial number with the new serial number - I believe there are 8 or 9 instances.

If you change the directory name from w/in TWRP recovery console, reboot - then it'll show up as a recovery option... though, you'll need to update the log file another way -if it's on an sdcard (vs. an HTC One where there is no true sdcard) neither should be a problem.

cheers
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hex90 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hex90 Ad-Free
11th June 2013, 03:30 PM |#13  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hex90

TWRP bases backups and restores on serial number in a couple places. I've only done this from same phone to other of the same phones I've gotten of the same model (e.g. S3 to S3, HTC One 32GB to HTC One 64GB). Not sure how it would work from different model to different model - spose it depends on what you are restoring., model, rom, etc.

TWRP backup directory is sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/[SerialNumberOfDevice]/[timeStampOfBackup]/

Change the directory name to the serial number of the new device you want to restore to. Then, go to /[timeStampOfBackup]/recovery.log and do a find/replace on all of the old serial number with the new serial number - I believe there are 8 or 9 instances.

If you change the directory name from w/in TWRP recovery console, reboot - then it'll show up as a recovery option... though, you'll need to update the log file another way -if it's on an sdcard (vs. an HTC One where there is no true sdcard) neither should be a problem.

cheers

I'm having a similar issue with TWRP not seeing backups but my device didn't change. I found my serial number but it's a long, 14 digit number and the folder you mention above is about 8 characters long consisting of characters and numbers. I tried to convert my serial number (is Hex I believe) to ASCII but it doesn't render the same name as the folder (not even close in terms of length). Any idea as to how I can convert it?
11th June 2013, 03:42 PM |#14  
topherk's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 507
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertfah

I'm having a similar issue with TWRP not seeing backups but my device didn't change. I found my serial number but it's a long, 14 digit number and the folder you mention above is about 8 characters long consisting of characters and numbers. I tried to convert my serial number (is Hex I believe) to ASCII but it doesn't render the same name as the folder (not even close in terms of length). Any idea as to how I can convert it?

I think the easiest way of getting the "new" serial number is just to create a new TWRP backup for your phone (maybe something small like just recovery). It'll create a new folder with the name of your "new" serial number. That's the one you'd want to use.
11th June 2013, 03:47 PM |#15  
CNexus's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag ~/android
Thanks Meter: 14,047
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertfah

I'm having a similar issue with TWRP not seeing backups but my device didn't change. I found my serial number but it's a long, 14 digit number and the folder you mention above is about 8 characters long consisting of characters and numbers. I tried to convert my serial number (is Hex I believe) to ASCII but it doesn't render the same name as the folder (not even close in terms of length). Any idea as to how I can convert it?

Connect your phone to your computer (make sure drivers are installed)
Download the adb_windows.zip from my devhost here: http://d-h.st/qmi

Then unzip that and open a command prompt in the unzipped directory (Shift + Right click > Open command prompt here)

Type "adb devices", press enter, and you'll have your serial in the following form:
Code:
xxxxxxx       device
Last step: profit
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CNexus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CNexus Ad-Free
11th June 2013, 08:31 PM |#16  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by topherk

I think the easiest way of getting the "new" serial number is just to create a new TWRP backup for your phone (maybe something small like just recovery). It'll create a new folder with the name of your "new" serial number. That's the one you'd want to use.

Yeah I did that but once again, I couldn't see it through TWRP (but could through Root Explorer or Windows Explorer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNexus

Connect your phone to your computer (make sure drivers are installed)
Download the adb_windows.zip from my devhost here: http://d-h.st/qmi

Then unzip that and open a command prompt in the unzipped directory (Shift + Right click > Open command prompt here)

Type "adb devices", press enter, and you'll have your serial in the following form:

Code:
xxxxxxx       device
Last step: profit

Thanks for this...after doing this, the serial number was the same, however, I ran across this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...backups&page=2 and found Post #14 to be very helpful and my possible solution.

As it turns out, when I connect my phone to my computer, I get the drive "SPH-L710" and the folders "Card" and "Phone" within that. Phone has a 0 folder in it and I copied the TWRP from Phone\TWRP to 0\TWRP and then I was able to view them and restore them in recovery.

So why isn't TWRP storing the backups in 0\TWRP? What is supposed to be in the 0 folder and the Phone folders? it looks like I have some duplicate folders going on:

Phone:


0:
5th March 2015, 07:37 AM |#17  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 85
 
More
This actually worked for me. I bricked my LG G3, got Verizon to send me a replacement LG G3, and then I used the TWRP backup that I had made to restore everything. Thanks for this information.

How I got it to work was I made a TWRP backup on the new phone, transferred the backup that I had made on the old phone to the new phone, rename the new backup to something, and rename the old backup to to match the original name of the new backup.
The Following User Says Thank You to xstahsie For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xstahsie Ad-Free
14th August 2016, 06:22 AM |#18  
xdax1's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 50
 
More
TWRP backup directory is sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/[SerialNumberOfDevice]/[timeStampOfBackup]/

Change the directory name to the serial number of the new device you want to restore to. Then, go to /[timeStampOfBackup]/recovery.log and do a find/replace on all of the old serial number with the new serial number - I believe there are 8 or 9 instances.

If you change the directory name from w/in TWRP recovery console, reboot - then it'll show up as a recovery option... though, you'll need to update the log file another way -if it's on an sdcard (vs. an HTC One where there is no true sdcard) neither should be a problem.

cheers[/QUOTE]

Thanks I got it working like this
The Following User Says Thank You to xdax1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xdax1 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes