FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[KERNEL][3.0.101][LINARO 4.7.4][AOSP UBER/Stable 4.3.x/4.2.2 Kernels][Hercules]

71 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,437

Thread Closed Email Thread
Hey Everyone,

I'm by no means a pro at kernel building but I've put lots of effort into these kernels so I thought I'd share them with you. The Uber kernel will always be updated to the latest Kernel version and will be overclocked to 1890 MHz. The Stable Kernels will have similar options but will not be Overclocked. Unlike some of the other T-mobile Galaxy S II Hercules developers out there, I actually have a Galaxy S II and plan on having it until Summer 2014. This means that EVERY KERNEL I POST HAS BEEN TESTED AND IS WORKING although it might not be perfect (few things in life ever are).

Even though I don't post anything unless it works I still don't want to be liable for user errors. In other words, if you flash one of these Kernels your warranty is void and I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE for any data loss or bricked devices etc. That being said, you really have nothing to fear but fear itself because these kernels work and because I packaged a stock kernel so you can revert back at any time.
A Clean install is ALWAYS recommended. That does not necessarily mean you can't install these kernels on you current build it just means that you might have problems if you do. Recently apps have been getting corrupted for whatever reason whether on Stock or AOSP and in most cases they cause RRs and SODs. If you find yourself in one of those situations a clean install is the easiest fix. If you want to try and save you apps then connect to you phone while in recovery using adb. Then type adb shell. Now once you are in that shell you can run this command to fix your apps "e2fsck -yfDC0 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25" it could take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour depending on the state of your apps.

IMPORTANT!!!! There are now two 4.3 UBER Kernels. One for Pre OCT 22 and One for Post OCT 22! Due to CM GPU updates you need to be careful which one you flash. Be careful you don't flash the wrong one. Download both for safety sake so you can flash a second one if you get crazy colors and other graphical gliches.

All old Kernels can be found on Dev Host via this link (be careful you read file names and descriptions carefully if you choose to take a peek around) http://d-h.st/users/Cl3Kener/

Installation Instructions for ALL Kernels

**** IMPORTANT!!! USE TWRP 2.5.0.0 or earlier for 4.2.2 and TWRP 2.6.1.0 + for 4.3.x kernels!!! Failure to do so may result in bootloops due to changes made to TWRP to accomodate SELinux in 4.3.x ROMs which messes up 4.2.2 permissions (Links include flashable TWRP installation zips credits to meekrawb. Just flash them in your current recovery! ) ****

1. For best results a install these kernel after a fresh ROM install (although it still should work if you don't do that)
2. Reboot into recovery (MAKE SURE YOU USE THE RIGHT ONE!!! (See red print above))
3. Flash Kernel Zip
4. Reboot and let Settle for ~10 minutes
5. Install Trickster MOD from the App Store for access to all of the options.
6. Change the settings to something other than INTERACTIVE (Especially if you run it with BFQ it will give you the worst screen lag ever). Then enable "Set at Boot" and push the check mark button at the top right hand portion of the screen or else you will lose your configurations.
7. Enjoy!!!
Error Reporting

I am always open to hearing about your errors although just telling me something went wrong without giving me details does me absolutely no good. So here are my expectations if you do want to complain about something not working:

1. Please list the ROM you are using,
2. The IO scheduler you were using
3. The CPU governor you were using
4. The CPU frequency range (192/1080 etc)
5. What you have done to attempt to fix it.
6. If you were able to simulate it again using the same settings.
7. Anything else you think is applicable to the issue

I would also hope that you would consider trying some of the following things to fix your issue before you ever report it because most of these things will fix the problem without me even having to change a thing.

1) Fix file permissions using a program that does a thorough job. I recommend using the fix file permissions in ROM manager because it is the best I’ve seen. For the record, I don’t actually use ROM manager for anything other than fixing permissions. Please consider trying this first because it tends to fix most of the FC/RR/SOD errors you might have.
2) Make a backup and install a clean version of the ROM you are running and see if you are still experiencing those same errors. You may have corrupted files if you’ve been dirty flashing.
3) If that doesn’t solve it, redownload and reflash, maybe something got corrupted but it still managed to flash. This happens sometimes and I can cause you grief.
4) For advanced users pull a logcat. I know not everyone knows how to do this but you can learn if you check out this OP or other ones like it
SPECIAL THANKS TO:

Android88 - because he is awesome and encouraged me to create this thread!
Samsung - for the source code to build these Kernel (and for making the phone)
Ayysir - for his wonderful tutorial on making a bash script to build kernels and for helping me out all of the time with everything!
Elbermu - For Bringing Thermal and Sweep2Wake to Hercules and for the help!
Bmg002 - For his extensive work fixing/rewriting my init.d scripts
Gruntparty - For completely redoing/fixing the build.prop injector I use for my AOSP Kernels
I Am The Frost - For being my first and best tester on xda. He's debugged several issues in these kernels for me

My kernel Repositories can be found at https://github.com/Cl3Kener/HERC-KERNELS and are properly labeled for your convenience (see the branches)

Informational Links
Here is a fantastic guide on "Innards" of Kernels
Optimizing Linaro Keychains
Building a Bash Script to make Kernels

JOIN MY GOOGLE COMMUNITY IF YOU WANT INSTANT UPDATES ON ANY OF ANDROID STUFF I DO.

Reserved!

XDA:DevDB Information
[KERNEL][3.0.101][LINARO 4.7.4][AOSP UBER/Stable 4.3.x/4.2.2 Kernels][Hercules], a Kernel for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II

Contributors
Cl3Kener
Kernel Special Features:

Version Information

Created 2013-09-08
Last Updated 2013-11-22
The Following 143 Users Say Thank You to Cl3Kener For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Cl3Kener Ad-Free

11th April 2013, 06:40 AM |#2  
OP Member
Flag Cleveland, OH

Donate to Me
More
Changelogs
Changelogs

Changelog UBER 3.4 Official (4.3)
- ONLY FOR ANDROID 4.3!!!
- Kernel Version 3.0.101 - Linaro 4.7.4
- USB fastcharge
- Fsync toggle - disable for better performance but beware that if your phone crashes you will lose data.
- Overclocked CPU 1890/ GPU 3D = 320 2D = 266
- IO Schedulers - cfq, bfq, row, noop, deadline, sio, vr, FIFO, and zen
- CPU Governors - intellidemand, interactivex, lazy, wheatley, smartass, badass, lionheart, minmax, fantasy, savagedzen, scary and samsung.
- Frandom Lag Reducer
- Smaller sized kernel due to xz compression.
- CPU link - elbermu
- Sweep2wake - thanks dennis rassmann (@show-p1984) for his awesome code and elbermu for modifying it to fit this device!
- Thermal - thanks once again to dennis rassmann (@show-p1984) for his awesome code and elbermu for modifying it to fit this device!
- IO Booster
- CPU Power - Vincent Guittot
- Frontswap Support
- Google "Snappy" compression/decompression
- KGSL GPU Control - carvsdriver

Changelog STABLE 3.2 Official (4.3)
- ONLY FOR ANDROID 4.3 and NEW GPU UPDATES (POST!!!
- Kernel Version 3.0.101 - LINARO 4.7.4
- USB fastcharge
- Fsync toggle - disable for better performance but beware that if your phone crashes you will lose data.
- Overclocked CPU 1728/ GPU 3D = 320 2D = 266
- IO Schedulers - cfq, bfq, row, noop, deadline, sio, vr, and zen
- CPU Governors - intellidemand, interactivex, lazy, wheatley, smartass, badass, lionheart, minmax, fantasy, savagedzen, scary and samsung.
- Frandom Lag Reducer
- CPU link - elbermu
- Sweep2wake - thanks dennis rassmann (@show-p1984) for his awesome code and elbermu for modifying it to fit this device!
- Thermal - thanks once again to dennis rassmann (@show-p1984) for his awesome code and elbermu for modifying it to fit this device!
- IO Booster
- Frontswap Support
Changelog UBER 2.92 Official (4.2.2)
- ONLY FOR ANDROID 4.2.2!!!
- USB fastcharge
- Overclocked CPU 1890/ GPU 3D = 320 2D = 266
- IO Schedulers - cfq, bfq, row, noop, deadline, sio, vr, FIFO, and zen
- CPU Governors - intellidemand, interactivex, lazy, wheatley, smartass, badass, lionheart, minmax, fantasy, savagedzen, scary, HYPER and samsung.
- Frandom Lag Reducer
- CPU link - elbermu
- IO Booster
- Frontswap Support
- Kernel splash screen by shmi117
- Fixed boot charging animation

Changelog STABLE 2.7 Official (4.2.2)
- No CPU OC just stock CPU tables
- GPU OC 3D=320, 2D=266
- USB Fastcharge
- IO Schedulers cfq, bfq, row, noop, deadline, sio, vr, and zen
- CPU Governors intellidemand, interactivex, lazy, wheatley, smartass, smartassv2, badass, lionheart, and asswax.
- Frandom Lag Reducer
- CPU Link - elbermu
- IO Boosters
- Frontswap Support
- Kernel splash screen by shmi117
- Fixed boot charging animation

Terminal commands to enable/change a kernel features if you are don't like kernel tuning apps

Fsync

To enable - echo 1 > /sys/module/sync/parameters/fsync_enabled

To disable - echo 0 > /sys/module/sync/parameters/fsync_enabled

USB Fast Charge

To enable - echo 1 > /sys/kernel/fast_charge/force_fast_charge

To disable - echo 0 > /sys/kernel/fast_charge/force_fast_charge

Set Thermal Values

Go to /sys/kernel/msm_thermal/conf/ in a root file browser and change the values

Set MPDecision Values

Go to /sys/kernel/msm_mpdecision/conf/ in root file browser and change the values

Disable CPU Link

echo 0 > /sys/kernel/cpu_gov_sync/force_cpu_gov_sync

Recommended CPU Govs by Category

For Performance

Performance Governor - Full OC
HYPER - full oc
Lionheart - full oc

For good battery life with decent performance use

Intellidemand
Interactivex
Ondemand
Samsung
Lazy

Moderately Conservative

Badass
Conservative
Wheatley (debatable could be in the above category)

Very Conservative

Powersave
SavageZen

not sufficient info? checkout out this op

The Following 56 Users Say Thank You to Cl3Kener For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Cl3Kener Ad-Free
11th April 2013, 06:55 AM |#3  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 171

More
Looking good. Thanks for the contribution, especially the GPU OC
Just curious, do you take suggestions?
The Following User Says Thank You to gruntparty For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gruntparty Ad-Free
11th April 2013, 06:59 AM |#4  
OP Member
Flag Cleveland, OH

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntparty

Looking good. Thanks for the contribution, especially the GPU OC
Just curious, do you take suggestions?

Sure. What would you like to see?

If it is OC the GPU and CPU of the Tiberius Kernel... Don't worry I'm working on it!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cl3Kener For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Cl3Kener Ad-Free
11th April 2013, 07:00 AM |#5  
Account currently disabled
Flag tallahasseee
Thanks Meter: 798

More
Hell yeah might give these a go

JELLYBAM DAMN™
The Following User Says Thank You to hatememarkz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hatememarkz Ad-Free
11th April 2013, 07:17 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 359

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cl3Kener

Sure. What would you like to see?

If it is OC the GPU and CPU of the Tiberius Kernel... Don't worry I'm working on it!

Could you add the ROW scheduler?
Would you also add Lulzactive if possible?

Also, does the 4.1.2 Touchwiz kernel have OC?
The Following User Says Thank You to Shmi117 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Shmi117 Ad-Free
11th April 2013, 07:20 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 234

More
You should have named your kernel spartacus instead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989
11th April 2013, 07:20 AM |#8  
OP Member
Flag Cleveland, OH

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmi117

Could you add the ROW scheduler?

Shmi117

Absolutely. I'm so used to CM including that I didn't even notice it was missing..... I guess I already have something to add to Version 1.1

I have a copy of lulzactive. I can try it and see what happens

I'm still adding OC to Tiberius.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cl3Kener For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Cl3Kener Ad-Free
11th April 2013, 07:21 AM |#9  
OP Member
Flag Cleveland, OH

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketAC

You should have named your kernel spartacus instead.

I can always rename my AOSP kernels as Spartacus...
The Following User Says Thank You to Cl3Kener For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Cl3Kener Ad-Free
11th April 2013, 07:25 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 234

More
Quote:

I can always rename my AOSP kernels as Spartacus...

But Tiberius was no match to him. Julius Caesar would be better.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cricketAC For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cricketAC Ad-Free
11th April 2013, 07:29 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 359

More
Quote:

Absolutely. I'm so used to CM including that I didn't even notice it was missing..... I guess I already have something to add to Version 1.1

I edited my post could you look at it?
And thanks for the new kernel

EDIT: apparently ROW already exists... I was requesting without even flashing
The Following User Says Thank You to Shmi117 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Shmi117 Ad-Free
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
aosp, hercules, kernel, stock, t989uvmc6
Previous Thread Next Thread