FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How-To: Fix Faulty Baseband and Faulty Modem

109 posts
Thanks Meter: 63

By Codex01, Account currently disabled on 14th April 2013, 12:41 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Fix Modem / Baseband JB AT&T ONLY... Sure did fix my problem!
Diagnosis for: (Random) no sound; no phone connectivity such as: WIFI; BLUETOOTH; GSM.
Can happen: Flashing wrong fw; Flash failure.

NOTE: Android SDK is required, go to your OS below and view "prerequisites" for more information...

Windows 7 method
Prerequisites: Android SDK - Tools and SDK! (install here.)

Instructions:
(1. Make a folder in the directory "C:/" and name it "qinara."
(2. Download the following attachment below: "NON-HLOS.bin" (In the attachments / downloads section)
(3. Place "NON-HLOS.bin" in the "C:/qinara/" folder.
(4. Open a cmd prompt.
(5. Change Directory (CD) the cmd to your install location of Android SDK's Platform Tools (type it in to the command prompt.) to make
a command like the following example. Example: CD C:/users/YOUR-USERNAME/android/sdk/platform-tools
(6. Type the following command in...
Code:
fastboot flash modem C:/qinara/NON-HLOS.bin
(7. Wait for the modem to be sent and installed.
(8. Type the following command in...
Code:
fastboot reboot
(9. When the phone boots everything but gsm will be working, to fix it go to settings. From the main settings menu, go to mobile network. It
will freeze, press the home button. Once you press the home button open up recent apps by pressing the multi-tasking button.
it freezes.
(10. Open up your multi-tasking menu and open settings.
(11. Set "select network" to "automatic," then your done.

Ubuntu / Other Linux-distro method
Prerequisites: Android SDK - Tools only! (to install type the following cmds in terminal...)
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
Code:
sudo apt-get update
Code:
sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot

Instructions:
(1. Make a folder in the directory "/home/USERNAME/" and name it "qinara."
(2. Download the following attachment below: "NON-HLOS.bin" (In the attachments / downloads section)
(3. Place "NON-HLOS.bin" in the "/home/USERNAME/qinara/" folder.
(4. Open a terminal.
(5. Type the following command in...
Code:
fastboot flash modem /home/USERNAME/qinara/NON-HLOS.bin
(6. Wait for the modem to be sent and installed.
(7. Type the following command in...
Code:
fastboot reboot
(8. When the phone boots everything but gsm will be working, to fix it go to settings. From the main settings menu, go to mobile network. It
will freeze, press the home button. Once you press the home button open up recent apps by pressing the multi-tasking button.
it freezes.
(9. Open up your multi-tasking menu and open settings.
(10. Set "select network" to "automatic," then your done.

Downloads

-NON-HLOS.bin

Ask any questions below...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Codex01 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Codex01 Ad-Free

14th April 2013, 03:47 AM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Hot Springs
Thanks Meter: 3,058

More
Kinda feels that way...but on the Linux instructions just use ~/qinara/NON-HLOS.bin instead of /home/USERNAME/qinara/NON-HLOS.bin

~/ means the users home directory

Also, and I'm gonna add this to my faq, but download the fastboot I linked, rename to moto-fastboot, place it in ~/bin and add that to $PATH in ~/.bashrc (or where ever your preferred disto prefers it to be)

My actual path line in .bashrc (the part above I'm referring to is in bold)
PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/share/android/bin:/share/android/adt/sdk/tools:/share/android/adt/eclipse:/share/android/adt/sdk/platform-tools:$HOME/bin:"

For the curious, I keep all my Android stuff on its own partition (/share/android) so all I have to do is add those directories to my $PATH if I decide to disto hop. If you dualboot, you can do the same thing only set the partition as NTFS or ext2 (there's an windows ext2 driver). I disto hop about once a month.
The Following User Says Thank You to skeevydude For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift skeevydude Ad-Free
14th April 2013, 02:28 PM |#3  
OP Account currently disabled
Flag West Palm Beach
Thanks Meter: 63

More
Don't have access to my desktop right now trying to install my new ssd and put Linux mint on it. (Noticed your a Linux guy, do you like mint?) Anyways I'll be sure to add that in later. Thanks.

Sent from my MB886 using xda premium
14th April 2013, 04:11 PM |#4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Hot Springs

More
Mints OK. I prefer Mint Debian, but I'm not a fan of Ubuntu. Pure Debian Stable and Testing is also a good choice.

Arch Linux and its derivatives are nice but aren't noob friendly and are prone to breakage due to being so bleeding edge. Manjaro is a noob friendly distro based on Arch repo snapshots with bug fixes.

About to hop to Slackware 14 myself. Gonna be my first time using it.

All the other distros I've used -- too long ago to be fair and relevant to what's out now.
12th May 2013, 06:08 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
help...
can you tell me its working or not cause i have some gsm problem no signal due to band change
13th May 2013, 10:10 AM |#6  
Flag Melbourne, Fl
Thanks Meter: 5

More
(bootloader) Variable not supported!
target reported max download size of 31457280 bytes
Invalid sparse file format at header magi
sending sparse 'modem' (28172 KB)...
OKAY [ 2.430s]
writing 'modem'...
(bootloader) Unknown chunk type
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 3.720s

Oooooh Cool.....now after trying to find how to get out of the mess that created. I still dont have signal lol
13th May 2013, 05:23 PM |#7  

More
i really need my signal back ...anyone could help me ,,,i am afraid this method does brick my phone ..and another question is if i install the stock rom from RSD lite , will i lost my root access???
13th May 2013, 09:10 PM |#8  
Flag Melbourne, Fl
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yashrab

i really need my signal back ...anyone could help me ,,,i am afraid this method does brick my phone ..and another question is if i install the stock rom from RSD lite , will i lost my root access???

Yeah this method bricked my phone. I had to go back to stock through RSD, and lost root access. The good news is it was so easy to reacquire root thanks to Dan Rosenberg's programs.
13th May 2013, 10:19 PM |#9  

More
Can I install stock though myth tool.. I think it does work just like RSD?.. Plz tell me cause I am totally noob in this part.. And I don't want to brick my phone..

Sent from my MB886 using xda premium
29th May 2013, 08:19 AM |#10  
Flag Taif, Saudi Arabia
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Smile Moto Atrix work on any GSM carrier or.. ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeevydude

Mints OK. I prefer Mint Debian, but I'm not a fan of Ubuntu. Pure Debian Stable and Testing is also a good choice.

Arch Linux and its derivatives are nice but aren't noob friendly and are prone to breakage due to being so bleeding edge. Manjaro is a noob friendly distro based on Arch repo snapshots with bug fixes.

About to hop to Slackware 14 myself. Gonna be my first time using it.

All the other distros I've used -- too long ago to be fair and relevant to what's out now.

I have question. If I buy Moto Atrix HD will it possible to make it carrier-unlocked so I can use it here in Saudi Arabia where 90% devices are not carrier-locked?
29th May 2013, 01:00 PM |#11  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Hot Springs

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesomedove

I have question. If I buy Moto Atrix HD will it possible to make it carrier-unlocked so I can use it here in Saudi Arabia where 90% devices are not carrier-locked?

You should be able to, but I'll tell ya that some users have gone through multiple places to get it unlocked since not all the unlock services have the updated unlock codes we need.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)