FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Utility] Taskbar autohide utility

3 posts
Thanks Meter: 10

By klonk, Junior Member on 14th April 2013, 02:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello

One thing make me crazy using surface. In landscape mode, I have taskbar on the left side. It give me easy access to program with thumb and it don’t use much space... but when I switch surface to portrait mode for reading or note taking, it take too much space on the left....

So here comes my solution small program that can change taskbar auto hide property based on screen rotation.

You can change if taskbar auto hide or don’t in landscape or portrait mode , and you can mark this program to start automatic on startup

Feel free to use it and share it please leave comment of what you thing about this utility and what more you want
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screan.JPG
Views:	2463
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	1883111  
Attached Files
File Type: rar SurfaceTaskBar-Src.rar - [Click for QR Code] (4.00 MB, 987 views)
File Type: rar SurfaceTaskBar.rar - [Click for QR Code] (167.0 KB, 1394 views)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to klonk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift klonk Ad-Free

14th April 2013, 09:10 PM |#2  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,947

More
Cool! Doesn't work on the RT though, even thoughit looks like it should (.NET, AnyCPU target). I may hook it up to a debugger for some investigation. Thank you for including the source!
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GoodDayToDie Ad-Free
1st June 2013, 01:30 AM |#3  
Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 9

More
I love this utility! I've actually been unsuccessfully looking for something to do exactly this for a few weeks, and I stumbled on this when I wasn't looking for it.

There's one minor issue I seem to be having with it. If I restart my computer, wait for all the programs to load up (including yours, which is set to run at startup), the program is running, but doesn't have any effect on the status of the taskbar -- the taskbar simply maintains the last state it was in before I restarted the computer: autohide or not -- it doesn't change with orientation. If I exit the program and restart it, it performs as it's supposed to.

In short whenever I restart my Surface Pro (and sometimes when waking from sleep) I have to restart the program to get it to continue working properly.

Great utility by the way!

EDIT: It doesn't fail to respond every time I start and shut down, but it seems to happen whenever I restart with the Surface Pro still in portrait mode. I just tried it with it in landscape mode and it worked fine.
26th June 2013, 11:13 PM |#4  
OP Junior Member

More
Hello

Many thansk for using this utility, I
nearly forgot that i post it public. I know about this issiu and after finals i have plans to fix this but unfortunetly some problem with position senzor shows up on my surface pro ( like in this blog surfacetablethelp.com/2013/06/surface-pro-simple-device-orientation-sensor-not-working-or-disconnected.html#comment-16957 but whit no android thing )

So soon as i fix this and have woring chang. oriantation i will wok on this utility
27th November 2013, 11:52 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 46

More
Are you still working on it?

A nice feature would be to have the bar always on the same (physical) side of the screen.

For example to save space: Having it on the left side in portrait and as soon as the orientation changes it will now be on the bottom.
20th December 2013, 02:39 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by slater_g

A nice feature would be to have the bar always on the same (physical) side of the screen.

For example to save space: Having it on the left side in portrait and as soon as the orientation changes it will now be on the bottom.

EXACTLY what im after. please please do this.
21st December 2013, 10:27 AM |#7  
Flag Midland Tx
Thanks Meter: 151

Donate to Me
More
FROM ]caffiene IN Q&A
Would someone provide this link:http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/soft...tablet-pc.html

as a reply to this post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2234549
?
There are at least two people looking for solutions (as was I) and I stumbled upon the answer looking for something else. The program they are looking for sounds like Taskbar shuffler in the tabletpcreview forum. I cant post it to make these people super happy, as I don't have 10 posts. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated, and I would be super happy.
17th February 2014, 10:14 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by slater_g

THIS. Totally want some way to have taskbar automatically switched depending on screen orientation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keifus.rahn

FROM ]caffiene IN Q&A
Would someone provide this link:http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/soft...tablet-pc.html

as a reply to this post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2234549
?
There are at least two people looking for solutions (as was I) and I stumbled upon the answer looking for something else. The program they are looking for sounds like Taskbar shuffler in the tabletpcreview forum. I cant post it to make these people super happy, as I don't have 10 posts. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated, and I would be super happy.

The links don't work. Does the one to tabletpcreview have a way to move the taskbar when the screen rotates?
3rd March 2014, 07:51 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent212

THIS. Totally want some way to have taskbar automatically switched depending on screen orientation.

The links don't work. Does the one to tabletpcreview have a way to move the taskbar when the screen rotates?

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/soft...tablet-pc.html
8th February 2015, 11:04 PM |#10  
OP Junior Member

More
Again thanks for using this utility. Orientation sensor on surface suddenly start working after ages of malfunctions so i was able to fix some bugs and add one new feature

So let me introduce v2:
-fixed bug when auto hide wasn't initialize after reboot.
-added feature to move task bar based of screen orientation.

Since changing task bar orientation isn't possible via API since windows vista, i am using some way of "bay pas". Program start task bar property windows. Switch focus on it and emulate keystrokes ( tabs for moving between options, arrows for switching orientation, enter for submit changes ) ... and i cant bele it .. it work

So fell free to test it and post any comment and feedback
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	taskbarUtilv2.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	3156396  
Attached Files
File Type: rar TaskBarUtility.rar - [Click for QR Code] (175.7 KB, 142 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to klonk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift klonk Ad-Free
10th February 2015, 03:03 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Dude, that's awesome. I haven't tested it extensively, but from brief usage, it puts the taskbar at the bottom on portrait and on the left in landscape. Exactly what I want. Thanks!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
taskbar, windows 8

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)