Hey everyone - it's me again. This is the continuation of what I started here, now based on the semi-recent 4.1.2 UVBMB4 OTA (2.0-2.1) and then the even more recent 4.1.2 UVBMD1 OTA (2.2+) T-Mobile pushed out for the T889. In other words - this is a stock modified T-Mobile rom! This took some time to get together as it had to be more or less reworked from scratch (though much of the 4.1.1 tinkering translated decently to 4.1.2 thankfully!), but on the upside I'm pretty happy with how things have turned out.
It should be noted that this is still a work in progress, but as this now embodies all that was 1.5/1.6 plus a few new goodies I feel enough is done to warrant it being posted - that way others (assuming others give it a shot) can let me know if things don't work or if any oddities come up. Also feel free to comment on how this might improve or if I've gone about anything in a not-so-smart way or if there is anything you would like to see (or wish wasn't there) - I can't promise I'll do anything about it, but such requests keep me motivated and learning, and thats been the driving force behind my tinkering since it began really
I AM IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS (GOOD OR BAD) AS A RESULT OF FLASHING OR ATTEMPTING TO FLASH WHAT IS POSTED HERE!
CWM/TWRP Installation instructions:
THINGS HAVE CHANGED!!
Wut?!? Change!?! NOO!!!!
Seriously, it'll be ok. This has been an idea that has been festering in me for a bit, but the end result leaves two approaches that lead to the same result. The most noticeable result is - after an initial step - you will no longer need to go through aroma and reselect options when reinstalling. This should be a boon to those that enjoy flashing this and that, as the process of reinstalling this will now be much faster. NOTE: Unless you use the default approach you will need to edit/redo this process for each update to make sure all new/edited options are up-to-date!
A complete explanation of the three approaches and how to utilize them can be found in this post, but for the sake of brevity and simplicity I am going to focus on the approach most fitting to the general (or new-to-flashing) user.
Before getting into that though, remember that the usual rules still apply:
- While very much stable in my experience you should be cautious whenever you flash. Make sure to wipe data/factory reset to avoid issues.
- I highly recommend wiping data and then flashing the T889UVBMD1 ODIN file if you haven't yet (which you can get via kies or from here - search for T889 and grab the most recent 4.1.2 one - registration on the site is required, but is also free) before getting started with any of this. This is just a recommendation - not a requirement - and yes, that means you will have to reflash a custom recovery once you've flashed the ODIN file.
- Tweaked needs to be flashed in CWM/TWRP recovery - so this should of course imply that you will need to already have such things in place if you are interested in giving this a try. For what its worth - I have been using TWRP for quite a long time on the Note2 and have been quite happy with the results.
THE SUPER SIMPLE SAFE APPROACH
If you don't care much for the underpinnings of it all, then this is all you really need to know to install Tweaked 2.x:
- Download TWO zip files from the downloads post
--- The basic approach prepare install zip
--- The main Note II UVBMD1 Tweaked... zip
- Boot into CWM/TWRP recovery (if not already there)
- Recommended to wipe data/factory reset in CWM/TWRP recovery
- FIRST flash the basic approach prepare install zip
--- This is an aroma-style interface where you choose from install options
- THEN without rebooting flash the main Note II UVBMD1 Tweaked... zip
- Nod in approval that while different the process was still easy
Thanks to Warrior1975 there is now a video that walks through the above installation process using the super simple safe basic install approach. Make sure to thank him - this is very much appreciated!!
CLICK HERE FOR THE VIDEO
Just for the sake of comparison, below is what I would consider the general fits-whatever-install-approach-you-chose installation instructions:
THE GENERAL APPROACH
- Backup your current setup/data
- Recommended to wipe data and flash stock UVBMD1 ODIN file - if so, flash custom recovery afterwards
- Decide which install route (basic/advanced/default) is best for you
- Download the main installer and put it on your internal/external sdcard
- If you decided on the advanced or basic install route, download relevant zip for said approach
- If you decided on advanced, set up the file(s) and place them on internal/external sdcard as instructed
- If you decided on basic, place zip on your internal/external sdcard
- Boot into CWM/TWRP recovery (if not already there)
- Recommended to wipe data/factory reset in CWM/TWRP recovery
- If you decided on basic, flash the basic installer zip
- Finally, select and install the main installer .zip you put on your sdcard
While the theme is pretty much stock, I figured I would throw in a few screenshots that show a few minor things. Note that these were taken after I messed around with a few TSM Parts options - I even updated one or two of them to reflect a few changes since 2.0 was first posted If you want to see the screenshots just click the "CLICK TO SHOW CONTENT" button!
- REMEMBER - Regardless of what install approach you use you can always use the Modificatinator to un/re/do virtually ANY of the options available to you in the main install! No need to reflash the whole rom!
Even if you don't use it right away, make sure to GRAB THE MODIFICATINATOR HERE NOW so you have it if you want it later!!
- Like I said, the full install is no longer aroma-based but the modificatinator is as is the zip relevant to the basic approach, so make sure to thank amarullz for the awesome work!
- Updates that come after the initial 2.0 release MAY also have a flash-update-only option via the included GooManager apk - it just depends on whether the underlying build changed, like it did between Tweaked 2.1 and 2.2. NOTE: Depending on what is updated, the OTA may break things if you are themed! I will try to avoid this as much as possible, but all it takes is a minor edit to a framework-res.apk string (for example) to necessitate an overwriting of a file typically quite important for themers (resources.arsc) - just be mindful of this please
- As the Note2 is privy to a number of ROMs and kernels, for the sake of simplicity I have included the unaugmented UVBMD1 stock kernel, but then for the sake of variety there are other kernel options one can select as well - including a kernel called PBJ by imnuts and one called trinity by morfic.
- This is still pretty much an unthemed rom (if any would like to change this PLEASE let me know - a themer I am not!). There are a few changes done in SystemUI (the pulldown in particular) and framework-res (to allow for system-wide transparency options) - and the hope behind those changes (all thanks to Alexia Whitehurst) was theme work would then be easier as a result. Even so, this is primarily UVBMD1 stock-themed - and this is reflective of the thinking behind the whole setup as being stock with some extra options. For those that like flashing various mods and what not, be wary - unless it specifies that it was made to work with Tweaked it likely will not.
Download links can be found further down.
Let me know if there are any suggestions/issues/etc. - also, feel free to stop by the IRC channel Alexia Whitehurst was so kind to make for all of this on freenode - #tweaked. If you don't have an IRC client you can always use their webchat interface here. Happy flashing!
Info on custom install options can be found during aroma interactions or in the installation instructions zip!
Version 2.5 - 9/12/13 - Fixed SGS4 SecMms FC issue w/ spam settings - Cleaned up TSMParts a bit **** Added on/off for sms/mms logging **** Added on/off for power menu lockscreen disable **** Added on/off for quick pin/pass entry **** Added statusbar traffic speed option - Fixed some scripting errors - Fixed a hosts file issue - Readded hacked SysScope apks for flash mms notifications - Added screen off toggle - Modified FlashBarService (multiwindow) **** No more dragged-isnt-what-is-dropped issues - Further minimized minimal power menu option - Edited acc data mod to use matching 3g icon (from 4.1.1) - Edited battery charging xmls thanks to foreverloco - Updated some system apps Version 2.4.1 - 7/31/13 - Fixed the 5% battery bootloop bug - my bad - Added splitview option to Note2/SGS4 SecMms - Updated a few more system apps Version 2.4 - 7/26/13 - Fixed a number of Mms things **** AOSP Mms self-image-click works as it should now **** Fixed the few remaining SGS4 Mms bugs **** Added a blacked out version of SGS4 Mms - Added new pulldown options **** Hide ongoing/latest notification title bars **** Move clear button to AOSP-ish locale - Played w/ swagger toggle :) - Added colorize-toggle switch to support themed toggles **** Won't be able to colorize themed toggle images **** Can still opt to use the default toggle images and colorize if desired - Added no-low-power-screen-dim option - Added SecMms option for timestamp handling on received messages - Edited TSMParts to eliminate jittery scrolling - Edited updater-scripts to not cause issues w/ ext2 use for those that try that - Removed upsell avoid option (force-included the change to leave things editable) - Made init.d options individually selectable in installer/modificatinator - Default setting for transparency is now true opaque - Updated some system apps - Updated PBJ - now has exFAT support! Version 2.3 - 6/29/13 - Fixed some goo manager relevent lines missing in build.prop - Corrected a few typos - Included modded Generic.kl needed for one of the mods that I forgot - Can now enable/disable ear protection - Long-press app-kill w/ back button now works when multiwindow not enabled - Option to suppress bluetooth popup w/ TSM toggle - Completely removed all SysScope things that were found - Fixed/rearranged things to make sure WifiDirect works - Increased recipient limit when sending texts via Contacts - Made Mms smiley button optional in TSMParts - Added some new icons thanks to Alexia Whitehurst - Updated 4.2.2 camera option - Included SGS4 Mms option - Updated some system apps Version 2.2 - 6/10/13 - Rebased to the latest UVBMD1 OTA - Fixed a number of install-based and miscellaneous issues - Bluetooth keyboard connecting no longer resets keyboard to samsung - Fixed FC w/ backing out of AOSP 4.2.2 clock while timer running - Added option to choose menu or back as long-press app kill **** If performed on whitelisted app - retains stock functionality - Can choose to show call icon in contact list - Smiley button returns to SecMms (thanks to imnuts) - Made some SysScope related edits here and there... - Eliminated the how-to-clear-defaults popup - Updated system apps - Updated pbj and trinity kernels Version 2.1 - 5/23/13 - Fixed popupbrowser popout/download issues **** Can now choose target in TSMParts > Miscellaneous settings - Tried to raise the bottom threshold for auto-brightness - Fixed the camera **** Defaults all back to stock values **** Settings for exposure/autocontrast now "stick" **** Slowed down the pinch zoom a bit **** Accessible with secure lock (via swipe lock) - Pinch-to-One Hand Mode works on SamsungIME - Removed auto volume adjust w/ high media volume and audio jack plug in - TSMParts now requires root access for a few options in Miscellaneous **** Toggle for onscreen nav keys - also in power menu **** Add Call/Record Call no longer needs a reboot to change - Onscreen nav keys slightly modified **** Always shows same buttons as physical/capacitive **** Don't lose capacitive functionality **** Screenshot button combo still functional **** Smaller size - Cleaned up a number of TSMParts/SecSettings interactions **** Primarily w/ lockscreens **** Also cleaned up TSMParts a bit in general - Fixed a number of minor issues w/ 7spot lockscreen **** Mms hotseat works for both TW and AOSP Mms now - Note 2 lockscreen ripple made "ripplier" - Minor SecMms changes **** Raised sms/hr rate **** Received messages timestamped w/ time sent not time received - Fixed a number of AOSP Mms bugs **** Clicking on self icon in thread now just shows an ignorable toast message **** Capture/record sound works **** Capture video works **** Can now "share via" video - Option for infinite scroll on/off for stock launcher in TSMParts > Misc - Option to use accurate or stock data icons in TSMParts > Statusbar settings - Can now set lockscreen-wide text color - Option to disable haptic on aosp lockscreens - On/off wake on plugin - Updated various system apps Version 2.0 - 4/20/13 - UVBMB4 4.1.2 T-Mobile base - Debloated a bit - Zipaligned - .bak-ed PowerOn/PowerOff.ogg (/system/media/audio/ui) - Modified camera **** removed power limits on pics/vids/flash **** made exposure default as -2 for both camera and camcorder - Disabled popup for: **** Airplane/data in power menu and stock toggles **** Initial wifi calling popup - Extended power menu **** Includes Screenshot and 4way reboot - Unlimited apps mod for multiwindow - Removed carrier iq stuff from framework.jar and SecSettings.apk; removed carrier iq apks and lib - Added in GooManager and necessary build.prop edits to allow for OTAs - Added in custom boot animation support w/ stock kernel **** Custom boot included - will play if in /system/media, otherwise stock will play - Added in init.d support w/ stock kernel - init.d and custom boot animations also work w/ trinity and pbj kernels - Replaced shutdown animation w/ international (XXDLL7) - Slight tweak to clock date color w/ circle lockscreen (matches time now) **** Also removed the subtle cloudy/murky look when ripple is active thanks to mikeyxda - Modded 4.1.2 Popupbrowser is more resizeable; accessible via app drawer **** Also can choose what browser to pop-out to **** Same with DLs - easiest is to choose a default for pop-out and DLs will be pushed there as well - Force all lockscreens to only be portrait **** should eliminate odd lockscreen appearance issues when landscape at lock/by app, though I am not certain - Added "quiet time" to back/menu keys to help prevent accidental presses thanks to mikeyinid **** Required editing Generic.kl to consider the capacitive keys as VIRTUAL - Updated a number of xmls/images to be more "themer-friendly" thanks to Alexia Whitehurst! **** Occurred both in framework-res and SystemUI **** Includes system-wide transparency capability! **** Also all battery options are set up as easy image-replaceable accurate batteries! - Updated several system apps - like SuperSU v1.25 among others - Updated busybox - thanks to imnuts (v1.22) - Included all the 4.1.1 Tweaked wallpapers - Tweaked help text on note 2 lockscreen - Activated option in SecMms to enable/disable screen on w/ notification **** Also increased sender limit and sms-to-mms threshhold **** Updated some icons to be like they were in 4.1.1 **** Single-image Mms now show in Gallery mode as opposed to slideshow **** Can now save sms/mms to sdcard! **** Eliminated the no-data warning when sending Mms w/ WifiCalling on and Data off - Several custom boot animations included **** All thanks to Jaekar99 and AkaTheMacDaddy!! - Edited CSC.apk to leave browser stuff alone **** Relevant for AOSP browser and some bookmarks - Auto-brightness off and brightness dim as default - Removed ear warning with high media volume and plugging in headphone jack - Enabled a few hidden stock toggles (WiFi hotspot, Blocking, Mobile Data) **** Also made SecSettings edits so you can select up to 15 to be "active" - Disabled signature verification in services.jar **** This was a necessity for AndroidManifest.xml edits in SystemUI and SecSettings - Modified SecSettings to integrate w/ TSMParts **** Removed display battery % from Display options (now in TSMParts) **** Removed brightness bar toggle from Notification Panel (now in TSMParts) **** Modified Display Options to only enable Notification Panel option when stock toggles are active **** Modified Lockscreen Menu options to only enable Lock screen options when Note 2 lockscreen is active **** Modified things around Smart Rotation to play nice w/ its new tsm toggle **** Modified AndroidManifest.xml and some smali to allow Notification Panel menu to be called by outside apk (TSMParts) - Other SecSettings modifications include: **** Added Mod version to About Phone **** Disabled popups for USB Debugging, Mock locations, and non-market app install **** Removed provision calls for tethering **** About phone > Status now READS as normal ******** You still won't be able to take any stock/TMo OTAs though **** Added 30 & 60 minute screen timeout options - Added TSMParts - *** This includes noteworthy things like *** - General **** CRT-off option - requires supporting kernel - Lockscreen **** Added AOSP and 7spot lockscreen options **** Made AOSP-based lockscreens dpi-invariant and centered clock ******** Thanks to foreverloco for the modded layout xmls! **** Default custom app for 7spot set to TSMParts ******** Can reset it back to this as well **** AOSP-based lockscreens no longer freeze if locked while landscape **** Long press home lockscreen toggles torch on/off ******** Option to enable/disable **** Ability to enable/disable finger ink option **** Ability to use and choose custom lockscreen ink color **** Custom lockscreen timeout **** Custom lockscreen carrier text/color ******** Includes off/on like in 4.1.1 **** Enable/disable volume wake (requires kernel support) **** Disable lockscreen (outside of Lockscreen options method - the two do not communicate) - Statusbar **** Option to choose between stock and TSM toggles ******** Also links to relevant options for customizing both ******** Can modify icon/text color/order of TSM toggles ******** Can modify order of stock toggles ******** Added new SmartRotation (tsm) toggle ******** Includes option to reset/unlock all stock toggles (extra 3) **** Hide/show brightness bar **** Statusbar clock options ******** Hide/show clock ******** Small/Big/No AM/PM option ******** Small/Big/No abbreviated day of week option ******** Left/Right/Center options ******** Clock color options **** Signal options ******** Show/hide dbm value and with/without dBm label ******** Choose color of text ******** Hide/show signal bars **** Battery options ******** MIUI-style battery bar ******** Hide/show battery % ******** Choose bar/text color ******** Hide/show battery icon ******** Choose battery icon type (vertical, horizontal, circle) **** Pulldown/notification options ******** Choose to use image/color-code background ******** Choose Date/Clock color ******** Hide/show No notifications text ******** Use custom/stock carrier text ******** Choose carrier text color **** Other options ******** Choose to use image/color-code background for statusbar ******** Hide/show statusbar icons ************ Blocking ************ IME ************ Alarm ************ Vibrate/Silent ************ WifiCalling ************ No Sim ******** Can choose between 4.1.1 and 4.1.2 SmartStay/Rotation icon behavior - Miscellaneous **** Disable/enable full/low battery notifications **** Long-press volume up/down when music playing and screen off to skip forward/back tracks ******** Long press set at 300ms ******** Can turn on/off **** Can choose whether wallpaper scrolls for stock launcher **** Can choose between regular and minimal extended power menu **** User selectable NFC mod ******** Screen on, screen on + lockscreen, or even includes screen off **** Option to show/hide Record button in call (requires reboot) **** Enable/disable wake when unplugged **** Ascending ringer on/off **** mikeyxda's ZeroWakeLag on/off
Good! As time goes on there are an increasing number of themes made SPECIFIC FOR TWEAKED! This is good, as while there are a number of themes out there that will partly work these ones will completely work!
I will update this list as new ones come out, so make sure to check back from time to time! Also - MAKE SURE TO THANK THEM! There aren't many who have done this, so make sure they know the work is appreciated!
Themes for Tweaked
- Echo by Alexea Whitehurst
- Motomoto00/Alexander Mish-Mash is an AMAZING aroma-based port of the themes originally by motomoto00 and Alexander respectively that have been expertly tied together with some original work by Alexea Whitehurst
- Feeling Grey originally by mongo41 and made for Tweaked by Alexea Whitehurst
- AOSP by foreverloco (download for Tweaked is actually in the second post)
- SGS4 Tweaked by kintwofan (and I suppose Samsung lol)
Let me know if there are any issues!
TMobile Note2 Tweaked, a ROM for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note II
ROM OS Version: 4.1.x Jelly Bean
Stable Release Date: 2013-09-11
Last Updated 2013-09-10