jellybean is out!

Search This thread

Braccoz

Dec 2, 2011
nice... anybody unlocked with the trick that wants to be the guinea pig and flash this and report if it locks it back or not?

burbs

Jun 20, 2010
I have the stock ROM, and have just applied the update to my phone. Anyone know what the flashing red box around the screen is for?

Jax184

Nov 22, 2007
Vancouver
www.jax184.com
I've been using the new JB ROM for a few hours now and have found a quirk or two.

When manually adjusting the brightness, sometimes the screen takes on a blue tint. Like, things that should be a dark blue become much brighter. This goes away if I tweak the brightness back and forth a few times.

I rooted the ROM using the CWM+flashable root file from previous ROMs. It worked, though last night I kept getting "radio is requesting superuser access" until I restarted the phone. I don't know what that was about. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

The compass is STILL misconfigured. Every time you boot the phone, it needs to be recalibrated before it has any idea which way is up or north.

I have the stock ROM, and have just applied the update to my phone. Anyone know what the flashing red box around the screen is for?

No idea what you mean. Got a picture?

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

Okay, so we may have something a little deeper here. Today I'm seeing the "radio is requesting Superuser permissions" dialog again and again. I'm unsure what this means, but as a wild-ass guess, it may be the ROM checking to see if the phone has been rooted. This could be bad for people out there who still have their warranties.

Last edited:
Reactions: orange808

burbs

Jun 20, 2010
I can't seem to get a screen shot, but it's like what you'd expect the hard drive LED to do when accessing data. I've looked up different "solutions" through Google, and it seems to be a developer's mode attribute, but I turned it off. One person says to uncheck the strict mode setting, which hasn't worked.

burbs

Jun 20, 2010
Well, whatever it was, it's done doing its thing now. As the day went on, the red flashing border appeared with less frequency. Throughout this morning I didn't experience it at all. Maybe it was some type of optimization thing going on?

Sep 18, 2010
Tethering

So Jax184 are you tethering on the JB ROM on Wind somehow or are you waiting for the tethering fix like Braccoz? I am on Wind as well and want to keep running the JB ROM but need to be able to tether on pretty much a constant basis.

Sep 18, 2010
I'm waiting on tethering as well.

Thanks - I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something - guess that means I'm going back down to LJ1 until we get tethering!

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

Now I'm in trouble - I got distracted while trying to go back to LJ1 and ended up applying the LJ1 tethering fix to the JB ROM. Phone rebooted and got stuck on the screen with SAMSUNG with the pulsating blue background and just wouldn't go further. Got back in through ODIN and flashed back down to the LJ1 ROM but again when the phone reboots it is still stuck on the same screen. Did I just brick it? Anyone got any suggestions as to how I can get back up and running on *ANY* ROM?

Sep 18, 2010
Alright so it turns out that I didn't screw it up - the problem is that I just can't seem to downgrade. If I clear the cache in recovery and then flash the BMC5 (ie JB) image the phone will come back up running 4.1.2. However when I clear the cache and flash any other image (LJ1, LH1, etc) the phone just gets stuck on the SAMSUNG screen (and I've left it sit there for as long as 10 minutes to make sure it isn't actually doing anything).

The only reason to downgrade though for me is that I need to tether. Hence faced with this problem I started going through all the Wifi Tether apps (that I tried before the tethering patch was out for the previous versions and none worked) and discovered the FoxFi works. It seems to override the T-Mobile tethering restriction in that when it is active the normal Mobile Hotspot icon appears (as well as the FoxFi icon) in the notification bar and when you pull it up it shows as On with the devices connected listed. Using FoxFi isn't as elegant as just using the built-in software hence I'll hobble along with the new image and FoxFi but still hopes that someone is kind enough and smart enough to figure out a tethering fix for this image.

Anyone got any comments or suggestions?

Last edited:

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
Does anyone have the OTA update from TMO? I was going to make a flashable stock jelly bean rom, and the updater script is useful.

If you received the update and didn't apply it, it should be in the cache partition. PM me if you need help pulling it out.

sent while running with scissors

Reactions: Nardholio

tany.jags

Feb 14, 2011
Last edited:
N

Nardholio

Alright so it turns out that I didn't screw it up - the problem is that I just can't seem to downgrade. If I clear the cache in recovery and then flash the BMC5 (ie JB) image the phone will come back up running 4.1.2. However when I clear the cache and flash any other image (LJ1, LH1, etc) the phone just gets stuck on the SAMSUNG screen (and I've left it sit there for as long as 10 minutes to make sure it isn't actually doing anything).

You need to wipe everything, data, system, cache in order to downgrade from JB to ICS. Also wifi is likely to be broken due to the new JB over writing the persist partition. Someone who is still on ICS and who is rooted should probably keep a copy of that.

Last edited by a moderator:

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
I'm having some gps issues and radio is requesting superuser access. This is on rooted,debloated jb with the jb radio.

Let me know if you need logs, data, or want me to flash something.

sent while running with scissors

Sep 18, 2010
JB downgrade to ICS + GPS

Thanks for the info Nardholio! I guess that means I'm staying at JB then. Overall I'm happy with it and having no problems perse. However to address your specific comment about GPS, although I haven't had any issues with it I have noticed that it has taken up to 5 minutes to fully sync and get a position lock now. I hadn't attributed that to the upgrade necessarily though as this happens from time to time as being way up here in Calgary Alberta sometimes satellites aren't as easily visible as they could be and this happens occassionally with all of my GPS receivers. My old G2 used to have quite a lot of problems that way. Haven't noticed anything about root requests though as Gee One indicated.

Braccoz

Dec 2, 2011
You need to wipe everything, data, system, cache in order to downgrade from JB to ICS. Also wifi is likely to be broken due to the new JB over writing the persist partition. Someone who is still on ICS and who is rooted should probably keep a copy of that.

does making a cwm backup cover that, and all other stuff needed too?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    nice... anybody unlocked with the trick that wants to be the guinea pig and flash this and report if it locks it back or not?

I can confirm it works. I unlocked my phone under the previous stock ROM for use on Wind, and it remained unlocked through the upgrade. I didn't need to unlock it again.
    N
    Nardholio
    Thanks, I already have these files. My issue is that I am legally blind and don't have any sighted help to flash the superuser or TWRP zips through CWM once the phone is flashed via Odin. A bit of a chicken and the egg problem; if I could root from the PC or ADB, I could take care of the rest... but this one step has me stuck. Hence, if I can get ADB access in an Odin-flashable recovery, the remainder will be a walk in the park.

Steve

I honestly have never tried to see if any of the standard root methods work with this phone. There was no need, since we were rooted from almost day 1 with custom recovery and adb. The newer CWMs don't work well with adb, however. However, I do have just the thing for you. I created an Odin flashable version of the newest TWRP (actually newer than any of the other versions out there) that works just fine with adb because I was messing with the stock odin image and I needed a quick way to restore my custom recovery.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ot72o1k933v4dej/twrp2500.tar.md5
    thanks again....super user app is present but with a different logo this time...its not green....It is inverted yellow triangle with embedded #....
    and having issue with t-mobile hotsopt...i'm unable to turn it on :(

there's a fix here
    untested though.. but didn't hear of any complaints.
    N
    Nardholio
    As promised, the JB tethering fix. Untested since I don't run stock. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/103520801/Relay_tetheringfix_MC5.zip

Here is a list of other potential mods, although there are tons out there, and quite a few of them will work for our phone. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1621289

Interested developers can pm me and as long as it isn't 100 people I will show you how to do it. I use a mix of Windows and Linux based tools for development. Specifically I run Linux in a vm under Windows. If you don't have access to both I can give you pointers but I won't be able to show you step by step.
    N
    Nardholio
    Here's the odin tar for the new jellybean release
    http://hotfile.com/dl/204016374/8aa...m-SGH-T699-TMB-T699UVBMC5-1363439562.zip.html

I should have a tethering fix and a flashable modem (for people on cyanogenmod) out by tomorrow