FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Ubutnu Touch on P3100

185 posts
Thanks Meter: 101

By sivasagaru, Senior Member on 23rd April 2013, 04:43 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
OSo for those who wanted to test the Ubuntu Touch on those Galaxy Tab2 (P3100), here I give you the complete instructions.

As we're here discussing about Ubuntu, I am giving any pre requirements but will let you know what you need.
- Rooted and CWM (latest version) Installed Galaxy Tab 2 (P3100)
- Should be running on CM10.1 Nightly ROM
- Some concentration and some luck

Note : The credit goes to @thatguruguy and @Menelkir @ketut.kumajaya for those work towards getting you and me the Ubuntu version for tab2 so thank them.

If you are yet to root and install cwm, go online and find out about how to do it.

I nor anyone above are responsible for any damage caused to your device directly or indirectly.

1. Download the device specific part for p3100 (that I've edited) from https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6Za...it?usp=sharing
2. Download the latest Ubuntu nightly raring or quantal from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-tou...alled/current/
3. Place both of these files to your external SD card (it's better to use external card instead of internal memory).
4. Backup your current Android to make sure you can come back at a later time. Use the CWM or the Rom Manager to backup the date. Keep the backup of data on external SD card and copy that to your computer for safety.
5. Reboot your P3100 into Recovery and do
- Data Wipe/Factory Reset
- Wipe the dalvik cache
- Format /System (this one is important)
6. Install quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip or raring-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip (anyone of the file).
7. Install the device specif part that I've posted above.
8. Reboot System now and Enjoy the Ubunu

There is nothing much that you can do with the developer preview. So checkout how it is and feel happy that you could have a Ubuntu OS on your tab in future.

Cheers again to @Menelkir and @ketut.kumajaya and @thatguruguy for the device specific builds and the instructions.

Edit:
I was told the Ubuntu can be installed also on the devices that has CM10.1 kernel and doesn't have to have complete os installed. So give it try and let us know.

Edit2:
I have made a video about getting the Ubuntu on your tab. This should help those that are having problems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQH2...e_gdata_player

Edit3:
We're having a problem with porting ubuntu with the latest builds.the device specific part seems to be changed/modified.. our great devs are already working on it. If you still want to get a hands-on, try using the old version of ubuntu file.you will have to get into the parent directory to go back. I've tested the May 24th file and it was working. I will find a way to upload that build

Edit4: sorry it took a little long but here is the Ubuntu daily build of 24th may which was working with current build.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6Za...p=docslist_api
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to sivasagaru For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sivasagaru Ad-Free

24th April 2013, 03:36 AM |#2  
Flag Guayaquil
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Have to wait for latter when ubuntu OS gets more stable

Sent from my GT-P3100 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to jjpita For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jjpita Ad-Free
24th April 2013, 06:42 AM |#3  
Flag Jaipur
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Is is really necessary to format everything?

Sent from my GT-P3100 [ROM - Sungsonic HD v2] [Kernel Agni Auto OC] using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to BveilSman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BveilSman Ad-Free
24th April 2013, 07:31 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Hyderabad

More
It's recommended
Quote:
Originally Posted by BveilSman

Sent from my GT-P3100 [ROM - Sungsonic HD v2] [Kernel Agni Auto OC] using xda app-developers app

I really do not know the reason behind it but it's recommended. So you better take a backup before you proceed to you can come back later.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sivasagaru For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sivasagaru Ad-Free
24th April 2013, 07:33 AM |#5  
Flag Jaipur

More
Doing it right now =D doenloaded the files. Wish me happy flashing. *backing up data*
24th April 2013, 09:52 PM |#6  
Flag Jaipur

More
Man :"( Didn't work. I did exactly everything. Even formatted my tab. But after showing the Samsung Galaxy tab 2 logo in the starting, the screen went blank and nothing happened. I left it for 30 ,minutes and still no show =( any suggestions?
25th April 2013, 04:27 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Hyderabad

More
What operating system do you have on your tab?
Remember you got to be in Cyanogenmod 10.1 nightly ROM to get the Ubuntu work.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sivasagaru For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sivasagaru Ad-Free
25th April 2013, 04:40 AM |#8  
Flag Jaipur

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivasagaru

Is it really a compulsion?? Can't it work from the stock ROM?? :what:

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk HD

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

Quote:

Alright man thanks for the suggestion. Flashing cm 10.1 nighty now

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk HD
25th April 2013, 10:40 PM |#9  
Flag Porto Alegre
Thanks Meter: 313

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BveilSman

For almost every single rom, its advised to wipe after change, ubuntu isn't different.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Menelkir For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Menelkir Ad-Free
29th April 2013, 02:55 PM |#10  
Recognized Developer / Contributor
Flag Catskills, NY
Thanks Meter: 5,998

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I believe you can run whatever you want before Ubuntu Touch, as long as it has an AOSP+ (CM/AOKP/PA) or AOSP 4.2.2 kernel. But in order to port it to a specific device, it's easiest if CM10.1 (or any other Android 4.2.2 firmware) has been ported to or is officially supported on that device.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1367243735687.jpg
Views:	1255
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	1922039

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeCriggs For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th April 2013, 09:38 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Hyderabad

More
I really am not sure about that.. I'm no close to a developer (I've only collected everything and put it together).. However, I've read that ubuntu Touch is a nightly's version and should be running on Cyanogenmod nightly.. I've tried with stock rom and sung sonic hd (which none of them don't use cm code I guess) didn't work.. That's when I did a little research and figured out this.
Well, anyway thanks for the information. I'll put this across in the post so those that are running on cm based roms may try..

The Following User Says Thank You to sivasagaru For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sivasagaru Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)